Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #1
Christy&Jack

Clogged black water

Need help. We are parked, and have only had this fifth wheel for 2wks. Black water doesn't want to flush completely. We've tried more water, and the RV break down liquid for toilets. Not having any luck. Any ideas please?
Christy&Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
LHaven

You don't specify your model and year, so we can't tell for example if your rig has a separate flush port for this operation.

Why do yoy believe that the black tank is not emptying completely? Is it because the level meters are telling you that there is still material in the tank? Level meters are notoriously undependable.

Do you have a clear plastic elbow attachment for the top of your hose, so that you can visually confirm what is or isn't flushing?
Old 09-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #3
Christy&Jack

Do not have a clear view of waste. We have a 2010 Cougar. I know it sat at the dealership for a few months. Wondering if everything is just too dry.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
LHaven

Again, you haven't explained why you believe the tank is flushing incompletely. Is it just the level meter? Have you performed some sort of inspection through the toilet hole?
Old 09-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
Christy&Jack

Yes, when I flush you can see the level. And it was just dumped 4 days ago. Only 2 people using the trailer. I understand the wall sensor part. It never says completely empty. Just wondering how to remedy the problem. Maybe our sanation man needs to spend more time cleaning?
Old 09-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
Snoking

Here is the routine I have developed over many snowbird winters.

1. Get a clear sight adapter and put it between the trailer and the sewer hose.
2. I leave the black tank closed for a week at a time. Grey tanks open.
3. I form a pee trap in the sewer hose with a couple boards, one 2x and a 4x4.
4. To dump and flush, I remove the pee trap boards.
5. Close the grey water tanks.
6. Open the black water tank and turn on the hose to the built in flush system.
7. Watch the sight tube until I am down to just hose water coming out.
8. Go inside and do two full bowl super flushes. "Bomb the Pile!" Note: Full bowl means filling the bowl to the bottom of the upper rim.
9. Go back outside and view discharge.
10. Close the black water tank and run the flush water in for four(4) minutes (Based on 40 gal tank). Do not let anyone distract you at this point.
11. Open and drain and repeat 10 again.
12. Flush a bit and verify that you have nice clear water coming out of the tank. If not go back to step 8 and start again.
13. When you have nice clear discharge, put the pee trap boards back the sewer line and fill the pee trap.
14. Close the black water tank and add about a minute worth of water to the tank with the flush hose.
15. Secure the flush hose. I have a little inline valve adapter at the side of the trailer and the other end gets turned off.
16. Open the grey water tanks and go add your chemical to the tank.

I have had the burping a couple of times, however the super flushes seem to have fixed that issue.

Having piles in not good!!

Chris
Old 09-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
Christy&Jack

Thank you. Sounds like a good plan to me. This is only our second fifth wheel. We are still learning. ��
Old 09-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #8
Slapshot1960

Black tank issues

We had a black tank issue for almost a year when we got our 2017 Alpine. It would not dump you had to pull the valve handle 7 to 10 times waiting about 3-5 minutes between each dump. I was in and out of camping world every other month until we finally laid the law down to them. Our service Tech told them the problem over and over this time they listened to him. the black tank wasn't getting AIR when they installed the roof air vent they left a piece of plastic from the tank so when we pulled the black tank dump the piece of plastic from the tank would close shutting off the air flow and stopping the water to discharge from the black tank.
Slapshot1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
Christy&Jack

Thank you for the information. Another good point. Like I said, we are pretty new to RV camping. Hopefully when our service man comes we can address this issue. ��
Old 09-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
travelin texans

If the previous owner left the black valve open when connected to sewer it probably has the dreaded "poop pyramid", big pile of dried poop, which will be a PITA to remove. You'll need a dedicated hose, not your drinking water hose, to run down the toilet with a pressure tip on it, open the drain valve, have someone inside working the hose up/down/around with someone outside watching the clear section. This may take some time, is not a pleasant job but eventually will work the pyramid out.
Afterwards NEVER leave the black valve open!!
My procedure was to leave the bath grey valve open as the shower fills it quickly, kitchen tank closed, a couple of days before draining the black close the greys, drain & flush the black tank, drain the kitchen tank it can smell as bad as the black, then open the bath tank to flush out the hose, add a couple gallons of water to the black tank + a big squirt of dish or laundry soap & your good til next time. The soap works as well as most chemicals, cheaper & lubes the valves.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #11
Christy&Jack

By listening to your comment, you may be exactly correct. All this advise is certainly going to be very helpful. Thanks to everyone!!!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If the previous owner left the black valve open when connected to sewer it probably has the dreaded "poop pyramid", big pile of dried poop, which will be a PITA to remove. You'll need a dedicated hose, not your drinking water hose, to run down the toilet with a pressure tip on it, open the drain valve, have someone inside working the hose up/down/around with someone outside watching the clear section. This may take some time, is not a pleasant job but eventually will work the pyramid out.
Afterwards NEVER leave the black valve open!!
My procedure was to leave the bath grey valve open as the shower fills it quickly, kitchen tank closed, a couple of days before draining the black close the greys, drain & flush the black tank, drain the kitchen tank it can smell as bad as the black, then open the bath tank to flush out the hose, add a couple gallons of water to the black tank + a big squirt of dish or laundry soap & your good til next time. The soap works as well as most chemicals, cheaper & lubes the valves.
Your signature lists a GAL! Do you talk her into helping with this enterprise? If so, you must have mind control skills. My missus doesn't do sewerage stuff.... she firmly believes this is the TOTAL and UNREVOKEABLE purview of ME (the hubby). I am sure she would neither wield the hose nor watch the clear elbow for successful pile movements down to the drain.

On a more serious note... it was recommended to leave gray water drains open. I disagree. We have gotten the little sewer fly infestation a couple times as I HATE to dump our galley tank as I have to get a large piece of cardboard, crawl under the slide and fish around behind the rear tire on our camper's driver side for the pull. This this is usually, if not always, located adjacent to the water bib, this makes thinks really annoying. The water bib in Texas is usually a fire ant fest. Even if you get to a campground with some fire ant granules and put them down, it doesn't help when you get under and open the tank nor the first dump of the tank; usually takes a day or so for the granules to kill off those nasty biters!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If the previous owner left the black valve open when connected to sewer it probably has the dreaded "poop pyramid", big pile of dried poop, which will be a PITA to remove.
I discovered late in my camping career that many dealers actually offer a "sanitization service" (usually through a third party they contract with) that returns your black tank contents to near-factory conditions. The service usually runs about $120 out where we are. If your dealer left you the last owner's poop pyramid, perhaps you can talk him into a free sanitization to make up for it. The worst he can do is say no.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I discovered late in my camping career that many dealers actually offer a "sanitization service" (usually through a third party they contract with) that returns your black tank contents to near-factory conditions. The service usually runs about $120 out where we are. If your dealer left you the last owner's poop pyramid, perhaps you can talk him into a free sanitization to make up for it. The worst he can do is say no.
Pardon the pun, but that's one shi##y job to have!!!
Just saying "no" would be the nice answer, I'd say "HELL NO!".
I wouldn't do it on someone else's rig for 5 times that amount, not real excited having to take care of dumping/flushing my own.
And no, there's no way the DW is helping in any way on anything remotely connected to the black tank other than flushing the toilet.
I always drop a loop in my sewer hose next to where it connects to the RV forming a P trap & have NEVER had any type of critter enter through there. I also know all about fire ants, they are vicious little mothers!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
Pull Toy

Before I went DEEP DIVING, I'd find a disposable 5 foot piece of broom stick, or something similar and stick it down the toilet like a dipstick (YUCK)! See what comes up... besides your dinner. LOL!

You may find that your worst nightmare is a faulty sensor, which is quite common. In that case get a good flashlite, and check your results every few days.

Check back and let us know...

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #16
Farside

Had the daughter and her girls staying in the 5th wheel for a week by themselves. Told them not to put anything in the toilet except the TP. But, sometimes the message just doesn't seem to sink in with all the other instructions. And, then there is the fear that someone might drop something else down into the tank that could clog the exit. I guess that is when you have to rent a snake, or call Roto Rooter.
Farside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #17
marktaco

Black won't dump

Don't rely on the tank level guages. For the most part, they are useless.

Make sure that until it's time to dump the black tank, leave the black tank valve closed. If you don't, the fluid runs out but the solids stay. Fluid is necessary to get a flow of water to help carry solids away.
marktaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #18
ciara_belle

just ... idk an fyi? My friend has a thor motorhome - class a - also made by keystone - 2018. So he was mod;ing something do to w/ the tanks and plumbing (it had a bunch of curved, s's, etc that were just a waste of space so he was mod'ing it straight).. he found a hammer.. a claw hammer... sitting IN THE BLACK tank... at the exit where the pipe connects... to this day we ruminate over how it got there... prank at the factory (it was new purchase).... dude hooking up pipe set it aside and forgot?? (then again why does he need a claw hammer to hook up plumbing).. its a never ending quest to figure out .. why.. he took pics and sent em to thor. i don't know what the response was.. but tank definitely drains better now .. lol

in case people think i'm making it up (we call it thor's hammer lol)
ciara_belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water