Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #1
Walnuts

Water system and tank flush through prior to first ever trip.

Being new to this kind of lifestyle and having purchased our first TT. I did a lot of research on equipment to buy and have gone all out to be fully equipped for our first camping weekend in a couple of weeks.

We collected our TT 2 weeks ago and this weekend I plan to fit all the "accessories" and give everything a trial run on the driveway of my house.

I would like to connect the fresh water hose, filter etc. to the house plumbing and run at least 3 flush cycles through the filter, hose, fresh water tank, faucets, shower head, toilet, grey and blank tanks.
Thinking about this, I am now going to have water in the grey and black tanks but have no way of emptying them to conduct the other 2 fill/flush cycles.

Is it bad to drain the tanks on my driveway and let the water run into the street?
I know there is no chemicals in the blank tank or any waste of any nature, so it would be purely flushing water.

Open to suggestions on what people have done before, or if you think I am being over cautious with a flush through.

As I said, new to this, so I welcome the guidance.
Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
B-O-B'03

I bought one of these macerator pumps from amazon.

Hooks right to the discharge port on the trailer and will pump most anything through 100 feet of garden hose.

We park our camper at home, have 30 amp service and water, so the trailer gets used as a guest suite occasionally.

The pump makes dumping at home possible.

In your case, with just clean water, I would think watering the lawn and or garden would be acceptable, the cover for our discharge port has a garden hose fitting on it, they can also be had at amazon.

Good luck.

-Brian
Old 08-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Walnuts

I didn't think about dumping it on the lawn. Great idea.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If the trailer is new and there's not been any waste in any of the tanks, then the water will be "as clean coming out as it was going in"... So, there's no reason not to use the flush water to keep your grass green or even to wash/rinse the drive.

If, on the other hand, the trailer is not new, but is "new to you", there's probably some remaining waste from previous use. That would change the situation dramatically. I would not recommend discharging any black tank waste from a previously used black tank onto any street or lawn. There's just too much risk of contamination from some pretty nasty bacteria that's a normal part of any "used black tank"....

As for the gray tank waste, if they have been used to store waste "gray water", then it's up to you whether you want to discharge that water onto your lawn. I wouldn't suggest letting it flow into the street in a neighborhood. Even if it's not a hazard, you never know what your neighbors might do and if someone happens to be "offended" and calls the police, they will have to "err on the side of caution" which means "shutting you down until a judge makes a decision".... Better to avoid that if possible...... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Canonman

I'd recommend a good sanitizing of the fresh tank. That's a bleach solution of about 1/4 cup to a tank full. Run that solution through your taps, shower, etc. Leave that overnight to disinfect the fresh water system then flush it out i.e. fill and drain a couple of times. I drain my fresh water tank onto the driveway.
Run fresh water via the pump from the tank through the taps until the bleach smell is gone. As for the gray tank, what ever is in there from flushing out the taps can go on the driveway or lawn. I wouldn't worry about filling and flushing either the gray or black tanks prior to your trip other than to know the valves work. That minimal amount of water can be managed with a bucket and on to the yard or garden.
This is my standard start up process each spring. Congrats on the new rig and Happy Camping!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0700.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	23383  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Walnuts

Hi,
Thank you.

Tags
tank, water