Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #21
Sputlegin

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I would also look closely at the roof seal on top of the trailer where the cap meets the roof. Water can get in there and could leak all the way down to the floor and over from there. With that amount of damage I would think you would notice water on the ceiling or delamination on the side wall either inside or outside of the trailer, as it seemed to be pretty significant. But I'm not an expert!
Hey,

I will check there as well. I didn't see any de-lamination on the outside walls but didn't look closely on the inside. The ceiling has zero stains or signs of a leak anywhere in the trailer. Will look at the walls this evening.

Sorry for no update guys, been working flat out and the wife came home last evening from a little r&r trip with the kids so been hanging out with them!

It's supposed to rain heavy this evening so I'm hoping i'll see some signs of water then.

Chat soon!
Sputlegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #22
Sputlegin

Just checked the roof and walls inside and out.

It looks like at some point there was a leak in the wall. It was repaired and new (different) wallpaper was installed. The wallpaper is delaminating a little bit towards the top and there is signs of some kind of stain towards the bottom. But it looks like a past issue to me. The wall behind the wallpaper seems solid and bone dry, the wall board is solid from top to bottom as well.

I pulled the inner window frame and the foam and board at te bottom behind it is dry as well.

From what I can see the roof looks to be sealed well also.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_115848.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	23207   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_115854.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	23208   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_115911.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	23209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_115916.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	23210   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_120149.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	23211  

Name:	20190813_120153.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	23212  
Old 08-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #23
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputlegin View Post
Quick question for you in case I run into this. What did you do to stop the leak? Did it affect your walls at all or just the floor?

Cheers
The leak from the screws I just put a dab of caulking over the screw head and then I covered them with a small piece of eternabond tape. It just affected the floor area in the front corners of the trailer.

One thing that helped me find the leaks was a little moisture meter. I went around underneath and on the walls and poked around and found leaks at four different spots. This was in a brand new trailer.

General Tools MMD4E Digital Moisture Meter, Water Leak Detector, Moisture Tester, Pin Type, Backlit LCD Display With Audible and Visual High-Medium-Low Moisture Content Alerts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00275F5O2..._M6SuDbCRWKVZ0
Old 08-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #24
CampNBrew2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputlegin View Post
It's supposed to rain heavy this evening so I'm hoping i'll see some signs of water then.
This has got to be the very FIRST time I have ever seen an RVer say this!
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #25
Sputlegin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
The leak from the screws I just put a dab of caulking over the screw head and then I covered them with a small piece of eternabond tape. It just affected the floor area in the front corners of the trailer.

One thing that helped me find the leaks was a little moisture meter. I went around underneath and on the walls and poked around and found leaks at four different spots. This was in a brand new trailer.

General Tools MMD4E Digital Moisture Meter, Water Leak Detector, Moisture Tester, Pin Type, Backlit LCD Display With Audible and Visual High-Medium-Low Moisture Content Alerts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00275F5O2..._M6SuDbCRWKVZ0
Sprayed the hatch covers all around the trailer from multiple angles. No leaks.

I did find that the storage cover had a bit of water seeping on its back side from lack of factory sealant. Not enough to cause a leak but enough to damage the wallpaper on the cover. I've added caulking to the missing areas.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #26
Sputlegin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNBrew2 View Post
This has got to be the very FIRST time I have ever seen an RVer say this!
Hahah! Indeed.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
Sputlegin

I believe I've found my leak!

I confirmed a fairly large amount of water is entering from the drip step at the bottom of the door.

I stuck paper towels in three areas. One on the wall and two on each corner of the door. No water on the one under the wall.

I sprayed the door for about 5 or 6 seconds and opened it once the water stopped dripping. Water had pooled in the corner (see pics) and started to soak the paper towel underneath the step on the forward corner of the door. This was where most of the water seemed to soak the floor and where bare wood would sit. I would guess 30 seconds or so of spraying would soak the entire paper towel.

In addition to this, the foam rubber seal at the bottom of the door is not tight against the darco which leads me to believe that water is also entering while driving on wet roads.

Really poor design.

My plan is to support the step underneath with some synthetic lumber ripped to fit where the wood was originally. I've removed the shock (which I believe was causing the sealant to degrade) then I will re seal the step to the door frame. This should eliminate the water.

We didn't get the rain we were expecting but I sprayed the entire trailer all over and even washed it to get ready for new sealant. Looks like that's the only spot that water is entering. The rest should be waterproofed well.

Cheers all
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190813_144810.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	23219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190813-222611_Gallery.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	23220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190813-222649_Gallery.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	23221  
Old 08-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #28
Sputlegin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Just an idea, but does the black outer window frame happen to have any cracks in it? If it does, water could easily run down the inside of the door and flood like that. You might spray test the door window when you check the hatch. I have had to replace both my outer frames due to cracks that caused water to pour down the inside of the door. I caught it fairly quickly so it didn't ruin my floor. I seriously doubt the gas strut on the door was causing the leak, at least from my experience with them. Anyway, you are doing a great job on the rebuild; looks good so far.
Hey Gegrad,

I definitely have water coming out of the drain holes on the bottom of the door. Any idea if it's supposed to flow down there? Did you have this before you replaced your window frame? Does it happen now?

I'll have to remove it to check but it looks like that window frame doesn't have a seal.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 08-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #29
Sputlegin

Hey All,

Rebuild is going well. I'll try and keep this going until the end in case someone in the future finds this useful.

I have the subfloor back together and the door sealed. Kitchen is reinstalled and I'm now waiting on the adhesive to dry in the area by the door & bed.

The seals on the window in the door were completely dried out. The window seal was so dry, when I removed the back trim piece, the glass fell out in my hand. This was allowing water to enter around the glass and run down inside and behind the door. I believe this was also contributing to the water pooling on the drip step. I replaced both seals with fresh butyl tape.

I decided to replace the old insulation with new SM foam board and used 5/16 plywood to match up to the existing floor. I cut a "tray" in the existing foam and new foam to lay a strip of 1/2" plywood to allow the use of screws to secure it.

For adhesive I used PL300 to adhere to the foam and PL400 for the wood/alum frame joins. I'm leveling the joins with a belt sander and some flexible automotive body filler. I used the flexible body filler as it has a catalyst and dries rapidly!

I used my scuba tanks as dead weight to firmly hold the floor in place while the adhesive cured. they're heavy and it really helped to press into the PL firmly.

Hopefully finish with the inside tomorrow night after work. If the underside is completely dry, I'll close that back up the following day with gorilla tape until my Darco patch tape comes in!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190813_154141.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	23282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_114243.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	23283   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_114708.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	23284   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_115246.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	23285   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_120219.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	23286  

Name:	20190816_135005.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	23287   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_164648.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	23288   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_121729.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	23289   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_132024.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	23290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_175213.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	23291  

Old 08-18-2019, 04:08 AM   #30
Brantlaker

Leak

I would check the clearance lite on the outside for a leak. if it is leaking the water will fallow the wires through the wall (wall sits on the floor). I had the same thing happen to me last to me. I leave my 5th wheel in Florida for the Summer and came back to a flood in the back of my rig had to replace carpeting and trim repaired the floor with Get-Rot a Marine product for wooden boats. I thinned it out and brushed it on it will soak into the wood and make it hard and dry.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #31
KeystoneKal

A comment

This year in the Midwest there has been massive flooding. IMO this unit may have been one of hundreds caught in the flooding. It’s great that you have the skills to repair extensive water damage. Did the signed buyers agreement say as is?
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #32
Andymil

You may not need it now but a dehumidifier will really draw the moisture out when in a small area like a trailer.

We bought a tt from a private owner a few years ago and discovered a soft spot in the floor when we got it home. The dehumidifier helped a lot, especially after removing the floor covering.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #33
Jody0212

My 2009 Hideout is junk now and not fully paid for, we removed the jack knife couch to put something more comfortable in it's place and my husband almost went right through the floor, we would have never known and someone could have been seriously hurt if we hadn't decided to change the couch. Insurance won't cover it because they can't find the leak unless we let them tear apart my walls and floor but if it is not due to some hidden plumbing problem they will just leave it torn apart. They sure don;t make them like they use to.
Jody0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #34
KeystoneKal

Panel water line access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody0212 View Post
My 2009 Hideout is junk now and not fully paid for, we removed the jack knife couch to put something more comfortable in it's place and my husband almost went right through the floor, we would have never known and someone could have been seriously hurt if we hadn't decided to change the couch. Insurance won't cover it because they can't find the leak unless we let them tear apart my walls and floor but if it is not due to some hidden plumbing problem they will just leave it torn apart. They sure don;t make them like they use to.
I have a 2015 Hideout 30rlds. I’ve found that all the water lines are accessible by removing panels in the kitchen and bathroom (assuming a water line leak). The screws that secure these panels are flush so they are hard to see.
Also, I owned a travel trailer that leaked where the city water hose attaches on the side of the trailer. This line was near the bedroom so the bedroom carpet was damp.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #35
danf

Here is my thread on my floor problem.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39472

All these trailers will develop holes in the darco where the floor rests on the frame rails. Tire spray will go thru the holes and delamination will start with the bottom layer of wood eventually reaching the top layer. Once the water is in, there is no way for it to get out and with high temps and freezing, the floor gets wrecked.

My bottom layer of wood looks (where I haven't ripped it up) just like your's. You'll probably continue to have problems unless you fix the wheelwells spray so it doesn't reach the darco, caulk the darco/frame joint, etc.
danf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, water, water damage