Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
sceptre

2016 28RBKWE Slide

Hi, I've owned my 2016 Cougar 28RBKWE since new and there is one thing that has always been bothering me. It doesn't seem like the slide fully extends. Dealer has told me it's normal since day one but I've never really believed them.

Cabinet doors will not fully open due to overlap.

Anyone else seen this year/model to confirm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160807_113857.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	23777  
sceptre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
bobbecky

It doesn't make any difference what make or model rig you have, because the slides should fully extend until the gaskets between the back of the slide flange and the wall are in full contact. Your dealer blew you off so you won't likely get any help from them now, but maybe you can find a good mobile RV tech that can adjust the slide so it finally works the way it is supposed to. Good luck.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
sceptre

There are wooden spacers that butt up against the exterior wall when the slide stops. Is it possible to fully go out, like you said, when the motor and gearbox is mounted above the slide?
sceptre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:08 AM   #4
Northofu1

Make sure it doesn't end up on the ground

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:43 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several threads (around the same time, 2016) that ask the same question or complain about the cupboard doors near the slide not fully opening. It's not a common complaint, but other members have commented about the same type condition. Some have found that adjusting the slide extension gives them a small bit better sealing around the slide. Others have found that their slide is already at "full extension" and can't be adjusted so the flange is closer to the sidewall of the trailer.

I'd suggest you first use a mirror and flashlight to actually see if the seals on the slide flanges (top, front and rear flanges) are compressed against the inside wall on the trailer sidewall. If they are, then the slide is at maximum extension and your dealer is correct, it can't be adjusted to extend further.

If, on the other hand, when you look at the slide sidewall, you see a gap between the gasket and the trailer sidewall, then the slide "should extend further" until the gasket is compressed slightly and completely seals the trailer interior from the outside air infiltration.

DON'T ATTEMPT TO ADJUST THE SLIDE USING CUPBOARD CLEARANCE AS A GUIDE... The slide flange clearance/seal compression against the trailer sidewall should be your "stopping point". Don't try to overextend your slide, you may wind up damaging the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide