Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Ranchhand

Rv fridge/propane

Hope this is the right place to post and sorry in advance for another newbie question. Picked up our first fifth wheel camper this spring and have been out to a couple of full hookup sites with very few problems. I am having a hard time getting a handle on running the fridge on propane. My understanding was if the button on the fridge was in auto that if power was hooked up in would run on shore power. If shore power was unhooked it would automatically go to using propane. Near as I can figure it will only run on propane if I have the button out (not in auto). The other thing I am having a hard time with is there is a valve in next to the passenger side propane tank that is supposed to switch tanks when one runs out. How do I know which tank it taking propane from. I see it has a valve on top of it. Does the valve handle point to whichever hose/tank it is taking propane from.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
FlyingAroundRV

Kevin:
WRT the propane tanks, yes the valve points to the tank that is "selected" but the setup should feed from either tank if you have the automatic valve system. What I (and I think most people) do is to turn one tank off at the tank. Then you know which tank is being used. That also lets you know when the tank is empty (cause things stop working) and it is time to switch tanks and get the empty one filled. If you leave both tanks on, you don't know to get a refill until everything stops. Then it's not just a quick trip to the front of the trailer to finish your shower, it's a long trip to the refill station.
WRT to the fridge: yes, the fridge should go to LPG when the shore power stops if the fridge is on auto. If it's quiet enough in the trailer, you should be able to hear it start up. You'll hear a tick, tick, tick and then a soft whoosh when the gas lights. If it's a brand new trailer, the gas might not have reached as far as the fridge. In that case, run the other gas appliances for a bit, the stove and the hot water heater, to bring the gas down the lines.
If all that fails, you might have an issue.
HTH
Just re-read your post. I'm assuming you have propane in the tanks...
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

On the refrigerator "eyebrow panel" if the AUTO light is ON, then the refrigerator is in AUTO and will switch to propane or electric operation, depending on the status of shore power availability. If the AUTO light is OFF, then the refrigerator will only run on propane, with no regard to whether shore power is available or not.

As for the auto-changeover regulator, located between your propane tanks. The "arrow" or "large point" will point to the tank to which the selector valve is mechanically connected. There is a RED/GREEN indicator on the regulator. If the GREEN indicator is showing, the tank to which the indicator is pointing is supplying propane. If the RED indicator is showing, the tank to which the indicator is pointing is empty and the auto-changeover device inside the regulator has changed to draw propane from the other tank. This is a signal that the tank to which the indicator is pointing is empty. Turn the selector knob to point to the other tank and the RED will change to GREEN, indicating that the regulator is drawing from the full tank.

At that time, it's safe to disconnect the empty tank, take it to be refilled, reinstall it and once the "other tank" is empty, the indicator will change to RED and the auto-changeover valve will switch to the tank you just refilled. Repeat the process and continue to enjoy camping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:15 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

When in auto on the fridge, you have to have:
1. A charged battery
2. Said battery connected
3. Battery disconnect off
4. Air purged from gas line
5. It may take a few cycles to catch