Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2018, 05:07 AM   #1
Buff

cabinet above TV ideas

335 cg

One side has the control panel, the other side is a pretty narrow but tall cabinet. Would have been nice if they split it with some shelves. Anyone try drilling holes to hold some tabs for shelf supports in this?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
335 cg

One side has the control panel, the other side is a pretty narrow but tall cabinet. Would have been nice if they split it with some shelves. Anyone try drilling holes to hold some tabs for shelf supports in this?
We had a closet in our we converted to a pantry, I used these on the walls around the closet and then had some shelves cut to fit.

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Inside...ticShelfStrips
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
335 cg

Sounds like you're thinking "non-moving sticks and bricks technology".... That usually leads to disaster in an RV. Using conventional "tabs" to hold a shelf in an RV will not survive the first pothole. Most RV shelves are held in place by wood blocks "glued and screwed" (or stapled) to the sides and rear of the cabinet. Then the shelf is permanently attached to those blocks. That way the shelf will stay in place during travel.

Usually, a couple of strips of 1"x1" wood, stained/painted to match the interior of the cabinet and a 1/2" (or thicker for heavy items) plywood or even solid wood attached to those blocks will give you a much more reliable end product.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sounds like you're thinking "non-moving sticks and bricks technology".... That usually leads to disaster in an RV. Using conventional "tabs" to hold a shelf in an RV will not survive the first pothole. Most RV shelves are held in place by wood blocks "glued and screwed" (or stapled) to the sides and rear of the cabinet. Then the shelf is permanently attached to those blocks. That way the shelf will stay in place during travel.

Usually, a couple of strips of 1"x1" wood, stained/painted to match the interior of the cabinet and a 1/2" (or thicker for heavy items) plywood or even solid wood attached to those blocks will give you a much more reliable end product.
I was and that is a great point. I'll have to look into making something. As is it isn't the most usable space. I appreciate that it is a cabinet and not just a void in the wall though.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I used pieces of an old wooden accordion folding door from a church to build shelves in our trailer. The "slats" were 3/8" thick and 6" wide. The door was 12' tall, so lots of wood in it. I used 1x1 square molding to build the support blocks, stained the door slats to "generally match" the cabinet interior and put them in with Weldwood glue. They've been in place for almost 5 years and we haven't had any problems with them.

I would suggest you look at how Keystone installed shelves in your RV. Then, modify or follow that type construction for the shelves you want to install. That way they will "sort of match" and you'll know that they will be secure enough for travel.

Post photos when you do the mod, it'll help others with their plans. Good Luck !!!

Here are some photos of the shelves I built in the medicine cabinet and in the TV credenza.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0637.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	17365   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0638.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	17366   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0639.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	17367  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
B-O-B'03

Quote:
... I would suggest you look at how Keystone installed shelves in your RV. Then, modify or follow that type construction for the shelves you want to install. That way they will "sort of match" and you'll know that they will be secure enough for travel.
LOL, the way Keystone installed the shelves in my trailer is not something I would suggest people use as a guide.

I had to fix the shelf for the outside fridge, it was not structural at all across the front and came apart on our first trip. The small shelf in the bath, next to the vanity and the shelf in the kitchen cabinet, just inside the entry door both came apart and had to be fixed, on that same trip.

I noticed on our last trip the shelf under the kitchen sink is in the same shape.

There was no bracing on the upright support, the shelves were just stapled to it.

I added either screwed on metal "L" brackets or glued and nailed wooden blocks.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
LOL, the way Keystone installed the shelves in my trailer is not something I would suggest people use as a guide.

I had to fix the shelf for the outside fridge, it was not structural at all across the front and came apart on our first trip. The small shelf in the bath, next to the vanity and the shelf in the kitchen cabinet, just inside the entry door both came apart and had to be fixed, on that same trip.

I noticed on our last trip the shelf under the kitchen sink is in the same shape.

There was no bracing on the upright support, the shelves were just stapled to it.

I added either screwed on metal "L" brackets or glued and nailed wooden blocks.
It sure sounds like your trailer bounces a lot more than mine, if your shelves are falling off the wall. The way Keystone installed ours has been totally troublefree since we bought the trailer in 2013. I wonder what was different between yours and mine?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

Quote:
It sure sounds like your trailer bounces a lot more than mine, if your shelves are falling off the wall. The way Keystone installed ours has been totally troublefree since we bought the trailer in 2013. I wonder what was different between yours and mine?
They did not fall off the wall, just were not supported very well, here is the outside fridge shelf, the piece across the front was just just stapled between the two layers of wood that comprised the top and bottom of the shelf, not attached to the wall at all. Bouncing down the road, with a fridge on it, made the front of the shelf bow, the layers of wood were separating and you could tell it was not supported

For the shelf just inside the entry door there was no wood block attached to the cabinet door frame, where the shelf was attached, just a staple from the shelf to the frame.

Others were the same, I had to add wood blocks to support the shelves or for the fridge, I used metal "L" brackets screwed to the wall.

-Brian