Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Dave B
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 35
Wiring for new thermostat

I'm not sure which forum would be most appropriate for this, but I'll give it a go.

We want to exchange our old analog Dometic furnace thermostat that controls the furnace and one A/C unit with a newer digital one. My wife did some online research and came up with the CTC Digital Thermostat model 43054. According to the reviews, numerous folks had installed these in their travel trailers and were satisfied with them.

When I went to install it I found that the wiring in the trailer didn't match at all anything I found in the installation manual. This morning I spoke with a tech services rep at CTC who tells me that this model is only for 24 volts and it doesn't work in travel trailers.

I'm a little confused about all this since others claimed it worked just fine, but then I'm really ignorant about how these thermostats work.

If there are any furnace gurus out there is appreciate your thoughts.

Just for the sake of the conversation, our Dometic panel is labeled (from left to right): +7.5, Cool, Fur, Hi Fan, Fan and Grnd. The CTC panel is labeled: R, G, W, Y, Rh/B and Rc/0.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
Tunnel_Vision
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Eagle Creek
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I'm not sure which forum would be most appropriate for this, but I'll give it a go.

We want to exchange our old analog Dometic furnace thermostat that controls the furnace and one A/C unit with a newer digital one. My wife did some online research and came up with the CTC Digital Thermostat model 43054. According to the reviews, numerous folks had installed these in their travel trailers and were satisfied with them.

When I went to install it I found that the wiring in the trailer didn't match at all anything I found in the installation manual. This morning I spoke with a tech services rep at CTC who tells me that this model is only for 24 volts and it doesn't work in travel trailers.

I'm a little confused about all this since others claimed it worked just fine, but then I'm really ignorant about how these thermostats work.

If there are any furnace gurus out there is appreciate your thoughts.

Just for the sake of the conversation, our Dometic panel is labeled (from left to right): +7.5, Cool, Fur, Hi Fan, Fan and Grnd. The CTC panel is labeled: R, G, W, Y, Rh/B and Rc/0.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This may be a better choice for you...

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Upgrad...iABEgIH6_D_BwE
__________________

__________________
2010 RAPTOR 361 LEV
2004 ARCTIC FOX 1150B TRUCK CAMPER
2008 FORD F450
2004 DCB W/TWIN MERCURY RACING 300X'S
Tunnel_Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
texas-traveler
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MOODY
Posts: 59
Does you original thermostat control the a/c and furnace?
The CTC Digital Thermostat model 43054 requires 24 volts. 24volts is for a residential unit
the original analog thermostat operates on 7.5 volts DC and wired different than CTC model
Had researched this when replacing my older a/c on another rv. had to install the upgrade kit. this includes the thermostat and the controller As Tunnel Vision posted. Dometic has installation manuals on line. with newer system uses only 3 wires instead of all 7 wires.
__________________
Texas-traveler
Moody, Texas
texas-traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
busterbrown
Senior Member
 
busterbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel_Vision View Post
This may be a better choice for you...

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Upgrad...iABEgIH6_D_BwE
From what my dealer has told me, these newer digital Dometic thermastats have been problematic, even for me. I had to replace mine twice now (under warranty) due to aberrant AC shut off issues. If my newest replacement thermostat fails this summer, my dealer told me to invest in the previous model:

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometi...e_p_19013.html
__________________
2017 Keystone Bullet 308BHS in Saddle.
2017 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Hemi 6.4L
2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali (SOLD)
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
Dave B
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 35
Thank you all for the information. I'm beginning to think my wife is just going to have to be happy with the thermostat the trailer came with.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #6
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Thank you all for the information. I'm beginning to think my wife is just going to have to be happy with the thermostat the trailer came with.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are several that will work in RV's nothing better than a digital T-Stat.
__________________

__________________
Russ & Paula
The Beagles Belle and Precious.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32 GVWR 12,360
2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 5 sp, Pacbrake, DS Power Puck, Bilstien 5100's, Just 308K.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
https://s1191.photobucket.com/albums...Smaller5th.jpg
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wiring

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This forum is owned and operated by Social Knowledge, LLC. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company and is not affiliated with the Keystone RV Company or its related companies in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.