Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Dave B

Wiring for new thermostat

I'm not sure which forum would be most appropriate for this, but I'll give it a go.

We want to exchange our old analog Dometic furnace thermostat that controls the furnace and one A/C unit with a newer digital one. My wife did some online research and came up with the CTC Digital Thermostat model 43054. According to the reviews, numerous folks had installed these in their travel trailers and were satisfied with them.

When I went to install it I found that the wiring in the trailer didn't match at all anything I found in the installation manual. This morning I spoke with a tech services rep at CTC who tells me that this model is only for 24 volts and it doesn't work in travel trailers.

I'm a little confused about all this since others claimed it worked just fine, but then I'm really ignorant about how these thermostats work.

If there are any furnace gurus out there is appreciate your thoughts.

Just for the sake of the conversation, our Dometic panel is labeled (from left to right): +7.5, Cool, Fur, Hi Fan, Fan and Grnd. The CTC panel is labeled: R, G, W, Y, Rh/B and Rc/0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
Tunnel_Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I'm not sure which forum would be most appropriate for this, but I'll give it a go.

We want to exchange our old analog Dometic furnace thermostat that controls the furnace and one A/C unit with a newer digital one. My wife did some online research and came up with the CTC Digital Thermostat model 43054. According to the reviews, numerous folks had installed these in their travel trailers and were satisfied with them.

When I went to install it I found that the wiring in the trailer didn't match at all anything I found in the installation manual. This morning I spoke with a tech services rep at CTC who tells me that this model is only for 24 volts and it doesn't work in travel trailers.

I'm a little confused about all this since others claimed it worked just fine, but then I'm really ignorant about how these thermostats work.

If there are any furnace gurus out there is appreciate your thoughts.

Just for the sake of the conversation, our Dometic panel is labeled (from left to right): +7.5, Cool, Fur, Hi Fan, Fan and Grnd. The CTC panel is labeled: R, G, W, Y, Rh/B and Rc/0.

This may be a better choice for you...

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Upgrad...iABEgIH6_D_BwE
2004 DCB W/TWIN MERCURY RACING 300X'S
Tunnel_Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel_Vision View Post
This may be a better choice for you...

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Upgrad...iABEgIH6_D_BwE
From what my dealer has told me, these newer digital Dometic thermastats have been problematic, even for me. I had to replace mine twice now (under warranty) due to aberrant AC shut off issues. If my newest replacement thermostat fails this summer, my dealer told me to invest in the previous model:

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometi...e_p_19013.html
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
texas-traveler

Does you original thermostat control the a/c and furnace?
The CTC Digital Thermostat model 43054 requires 24 volts. 24volts is for a residential unit
the original analog thermostat operates on 7.5 volts DC and wired different than CTC model
Had researched this when replacing my older a/c on another rv. had to install the upgrade kit. this includes the thermostat and the controller As Tunnel Vision posted. Dometic has installation manuals on line. with newer system uses only 3 wires instead of all 7 wires.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
Dave B

Thank you all for the information. I'm beginning to think my wife is just going to have to be happy with the thermostat the trailer came with.

Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Thank you all for the information. I'm beginning to think my wife is just going to have to be happy with the thermostat the trailer came with.

There are several that will work in RV's nothing better than a digital T-Stat.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring