Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2023, 04:01 AM   #1
Mizterusa

Zamp solar question

So jus bought 2021 KEYSTONE PASSPORT 240BH SL and it's "solar prepped" and my question is up front in the pass through Cubby there's a box built up that's almost impossible to get into but using a mirror and flashlight up top I see a ton of wires, no controller so what is this box? Also where do I even take it to have solar panels, controller etc installed? Don't need some high tech system jus something to charge our batteries on an annual camping trip at a group site with no electric. There is a plug in up front so what's that if this things already prepped? TY in advance 😁
Mizterusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:24 AM   #2
Canonman

The most simple, easy way to add solar is with a "portable suitcase system". I'd recommend a system around 200 watts. https://www.amazon.com/Zamp-180-Watt...0-5ec63b24bcb5
The plug on the outside of the trailer is probably a Zamp SAE type plug. The portable systems will include the solar panels, a charge controller and a 20' or so of cable with the corresponding plug to connect to your trailer. These are basically a battery charger and are used to charge your batteries during the day so you can use all of your 12 volt systems. You simply open the panels and plug into the provided port on the trailer. If Keystone got the prep right that's all thee is to it.
We have used this set up for years and find it most adequate for our needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61L-NuBZNBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	45647   Click image for larger version

Name:	51ASYzYNRML._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	45648  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
peanut

Canonman is correct - a portable suitcase unit would be the simplest solution as it is just "plug & play". Is it the best solution?

Solar prepped just means that any required wiring (only the wiring) was installed at the factory. But be aware that there are two sets of wires involved. One set is the Zamp plug. It is wired directly to the battery (ususally thru a buss bar in the giggy box). The other set of wiring is the wires coming from the roof and goes to a junction box near the location where a factory solar controller would be mounted and should continue to the giggy box and buss bars there. It is separate from the Zamp plug system. Every Keystone trailer I have seen has a big "Solar prep" label on the box at the location where these wires are bundled. The box you mention sounds like it is probably the bundled up wires for installing a solar power system.

If all you want on your annual no electric site is to use 12V items - lights and water pump - 200 watts of portable solar would be fine. If you want/expect to use the 120V system you will most likely need and may want to consider mounting more panels on the roof. (I say that because, IMO, exceeding 200 watts in a portable package becomes exponentially more difficult because of size and weight)

You will need an inverter, also, if you expect to use the 120V plugs in the trailer. A big - BIG - question is what refrigerator do you have, absorption or 12V. If it is 12V, I doubt that 200 watts of solar and a small 90ah LA battery would be able to keep up. IMO, for a 12V refrigerator, your system should be AT LEAST 400 watts of panels and 100ah of USEABLE battery power.

DIY'ing a system will be considerably cheaper than taking it anywhere to have it done. You can get quality 200W panels for around $200-$250 each from many companies (Renogy, for example). My dealer wanted almost $700 for one. Big savings for the DIY'er. There are many, many youtube videos on the subject. It's winter - off season. You (probably) have months to learn and do the job. Take your time and google, google, google and ask, ask, ask.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:38 PM   #4
jxnbbl

So do you have something like this on the roof:

https://overlandaddict.com/products/...-by-zamp-solar

Or just one of these someplace at lower on the trailer:

https://www.zampsolar.com/products/side-wall-port
20-21 trailers may have either or both and be considered "solar ready".
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 03:58 AM   #5
Mizterusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Canonman is correct - a portable suitcase unit would be the simplest solution as it is just "plug & play". Is it the best solution?

Solar prepped just means that any required wiring (only the wiring) was installed at the factory. But be aware that there are two sets of wires involved. One set is the Zamp plug. It is wired directly to the battery (ususally thru a buss bar in the giggy box). The other set of wiring is the wires coming from the roof and goes to a junction box near the location where a factory solar controller would be mounted and should continue to the giggy box and buss bars there. It is separate from the Zamp plug system. Every Keystone trailer I have seen has a big "Solar prep" label on the box at the location where these wires are bundled. The box you mention sounds like it is probably the bundled up wires for installing a solar power system.

If all you want on your annual no electric site is to use 12V items - lights and water pump - 200 watts of portable solar would be fine. If you want/expect to use the 120V system you will most likely need and may want to consider mounting more panels on the roof. (I say that because, IMO, exceeding 200 watts in a portable package becomes exponentially more difficult because of size and weight)

You will need an inverter, also, if you expect to use the 120V plugs in the trailer. A big - BIG - question is what refrigerator do you have, absorption or 12V. If it is 12V, I doubt that 200 watts of solar and a small 90ah LA battery would be able to keep up. IMO, for a 12V refrigerator, your system should be AT LEAST 400 watts of panels and 100ah of USEABLE battery power.

DIY'ing a system will be considerably cheaper than taking it anywhere to have it done. You can get quality 200W panels for around $200-$250 each from many companies (Renogy, for example). My dealer wanted almost $700 for one. Big savings for the DIY'er. There are many, many youtube videos on the subject. It's winter - off season. You (probably) have months to learn and do the job. Take your time and google, google, google and ask, ask, ask.

Mine says solar prepped on the side but there's also the Lil single plug up front but there is no sticker on the actual box in the Cubby, maybe someone peeled it off but I jus know there's a buttload of wires in there. The roof has the plugs installed for panels too. There is an outlet above the sink area specifically saying zamp solar outlet whatever that means. No more 12v fridges for me, they are junk in my eyes so when we traded in our last camper we specifically searched for one with gas. �� We don't do much dry camping these days other than our annual trip so I guess what I'm gathering in here a suitcase panel will be sufficient plugged into the front solar plug so would I still need panels with controller built in?
Old 11-09-2023, 05:49 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Download the 2021 Passport brochure here: https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p..._Dec20_WEB.pdf

On page 6, you'll see the solar prep package for the ENTIRE PASSPORT LINE which includes the GT, SL, Western GT and Western SL series trailers. There are four different trailer lines in the Passport name line with 4 different "solar Prep packages, and then there is an "Optional 170 Solar Package" that could be added to the GT lines, but not available in the SL lines. Each of the lines within Passport are shown in the brochure. GT models indicate "roof and suitcase solar prep" while the SL models only indicate, "Solar prep".

I'd suspect that your trailer has the "standard solar prep" and not the "advanced GT series prep". So, likely you have a sidewall Zamp connector and wiring in the front of the trailer for a suitcase system. I would not suspect that you have the rooftop connector, but since your trailer is probably "previously owned" the previous owner may have modified that system to add to or remove from the OEM system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:51 AM   #7
Canonman

The "box in the cubby" is likely where the connection would be made to add an inverter if you wanted to energize certain 110v outlets like the one above your sink. The inverter uses the 12 vdc from the batteries to create 110 vac.
If your off grid use is minimal there is no real need to mess with this wiring. When we're dry camping we use a stove top percolator coffee pot and a griddle for toasting our bagels. My theory is Keep It Simple and Stupid KISS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6263.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	45654  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #8
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizterusa View Post
Mine says solar prepped on the side but there's also the Lil single plug up front but there is no sticker on the actual box in the Cubby, maybe someone peeled it off but I jus know there's a buttload of wires in there. The roof has the plugs installed for panels too. There is an outlet above the sink area specifically saying zamp solar outlet whatever that means. No more 12v fridges for me, they are junk in my eyes so when we traded in our last camper we specifically searched for one with gas. �� We don't do much dry camping these days other than our annual trip so I guess what I'm gathering in here a suitcase panel will be sufficient plugged into the front solar plug so would I still need panels with controller built in?
If you have a propane stove/frig/water heater than all you will be powering is lights, pumps, and small voltages to control boards (fridge/water heater/propane heater (if needed)) so a portable suitcase kit would be perfect for you, IMO. LED lights also use little power.

Yes, you need a kit with an included solar charge controller. Most pre-built portable kits will include a controller - - BUT they are almost always a PWM charge controller. An MPPT controller costs more but is much more efficient and will charge your battery faster. IMO an upgrade to an MPPT controller is well worth it.

Pre-built kits from reputable companies are nice because most include everything you need - panels, controller, stands, cables, connectors, and (often) a carrying case is included. Just be aware of the type connectors used in the kit you choose. Your "Zamp solar ready" plug uses an SAE connector. Many companies use MC4 connectors. If you get one of those you will need to also get adapters to connect to the Zamp plug.
You DO NOT need a so-called anything called a "solar generator" or "solar power station". Those are just portable suitcase kits with a battery in a fancy case.

In addition to the Zamp kit that Canonman linked to, other well regarded kits include (but not limited to):
Renogy: https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-v...olar-suitcase/
Newpowa: https://www.newpowa.com/200w-12v-starter-solar-kit/
Go Power: https://gopowersolar.com/products/20...ble-solar-kit/
Rich Solar: https://richsolar.com/products/200-w...anel-briefcase - - does not include charge controller or cables

This 12 part series is a very, very, very good primer on solar kits. I highly recommend watching all of them.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hIYsnG1tQlHTOJ

I would still recommend having 100ah of usable battery. That means either 200ah of lead acid or 100ah of lithium. If you watch the videos you will learn a lot and be comfortable making choices that are right for you.

Old 11-09-2023, 10:29 AM   #9
Mizterusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Download the 2021 Passport brochure here: https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p..._Dec20_WEB.pdf

On page 6, you'll see the solar prep package for the ENTIRE PASSPORT LINE which includes the GT, SL, Western GT and Western SL series trailers. There are four different trailer lines in the Passport name line with 4 different "solar Prep packages, and then there is an "Optional 170 Solar Package" that could be added to the GT lines, but not available in the SL lines. Each of the lines within Passport are shown in the brochure. GT models indicate "roof and suitcase solar prep" while the SL models only indicate, "Solar prep".

I'd suspect that your trailer has the "standard solar prep" and not the "advanced GT series prep". So, likely you have a sidewall Zamp connector and wiring in the front of the trailer for a suitcase system. I would not suspect that you have the rooftop connector, but since your trailer is probably "previously owned" the previous owner may have modified that system to add to or remove from the OEM system.
I have the SL series. The quick connect is up front by the tongue. There is solar connections up top for panels and as stated before I do have a weird enclosed box inside my front pass through and 1 outlet in the camper that says something solar enabled outlet. Campers in storage right now so I can't confirm what it says. I don't think the previous owner did any of that install. I got zero paperwork for the camper like manuals for anything. Tried to contact Keystone to try and get it but that fell on deaf ears... ����
Old 11-09-2023, 10:51 AM   #10
peanut

Quote:
I got zero paperwork for the camper like manuals for anything. Tried to contact Keystone to try and get it but that fell on deaf ears... ����
Manuals for any RV, from any company, are extremely generic since they don't actually make much of it. They assemble parts from other manufacturers. Keystone makes something like 14-15 different brands and lord knows how many different models in those brands. Go here - - and see that they offer only one manual for every Keystone RV.
https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-manuals
Download the one for 2021 and you will get the same manual that luxury brands Alpine or Montana get.

New RV's will come with individual manuals for major components like stoves and refrigerators from the companies that make them. Since you bought used and didn't get any manuals your best option is to go thru your trailer and write down the brand, model, and (if available) serial number of every thing you can find - - - refrigerator, stove, exhaust vent, microwave, television, converter, toilet, water heater, water pump - -EVERYTHING you can think of. Then start googling. You will be able to download manuals for almost everything directly from the original manufacturer.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:46 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I have the SL series. The quick connect is up front by the tongue. There is solar connections up top for panels and as stated before I do have a weird enclosed box inside my front pass through and 1 outlet in the camper that says something solar enabled outlet. Campers in storage right now so I can't confirm what it says. I don't think the previous owner did any of that install. I got zero paperwork for the camper like manuals for anything. Tried to contact Keystone to try and get it but that fell on deaf ears... ����
You should have three outlets marked "solar ready" in the trailer. One in the living room, one in the galley and one in the bedroom. They were intended to provide "minimal essential power throughout the trailer when off the grid "OTG). The weird enclosed box is probably the interface wiring for the "optional 170 watt solar system (which probably was not even available on the SL series, but the wiring was part of the package that was installed on every Passport model, whether it was in the GT or Sl model lines.

As Gary said, "Keystone makes 14-15 different brands and lord knows how many models (likely in the hundreds) at their two plants. Remember that every trailer is "built on an assembly line by humans, not by automated machines" so you'll very likely see two models that are "supposed to be the same" go down the line "side by side" and when they get to the end and are towed out to the parking area, there will very likely be some SIGNIFICANT differences in what is in them, how the wiring is routed, where it is secured within the walls, how large the holes for plumbing runs were cut, how many staples/screws were used on each piece of trim, where the TV mount is attached, whether the outlets have the ground pin above or below the actual sockets, possibly even the brand of appliances, the type of cabinet hardware, even the color of the cabinets (if there was an issue in the cabinet shop, Keystone will pull cabinets from another line to keep the Passport line moving. So, two "identical trailers" built the same day, by the same workers, on the same line, may very well be "dramatically different" when compared "at the end of the line".....

Those three outlets should be marked "solar ready", but the previous owner may well have removed the stickers if you only find one that's marked in your trailer.

ADDED: Within that "bundle of wiring in the top of the passthrough, you should find a "loop of ROMEX" (probably 14 gauge). If that loop is "continuous and not cut" then the previous owner probably did not install an inverter or a "solar controller for a rooftop system". On the other hand, if that ROMEX loop has been cut, the previous owner very likely installed an inverter to power those three outlets that are marked "solar ready" and if there's no equipment mounted to the walls inside your passthrough, he probably took all the equipment when he traded the trailer and what you have is "what he left for the next owner"... If the ROMEX is cut, very likely an inverter was installed and then removed. If the ROMEX is not cut and reconnected, then there has not been an inverter installed, so probably also no solar controller or other equipment for a solar system/battery charger.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar