Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
SadieMae

Solar issues

Having issues (I Think) with my 400i solar system.
Picked up trailer today from storage and noticed in my VictronConnect app that my Victron shunt shows 5.96 volts. Don’t believe I ever have seen it that low. Solar charger/ing appears normal. I have 2 interstate lead acid 12volt batteries in parallel.
Parked trailer at storage lot two weeks ago after 10 day trip (local) after winterizing and all was well.
I tried to find troubleshooting help in utube but nothing that fit my issue.
Any thoughts?
SadieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 03:27 PM   #2
govols380

Did you turn the panels off next to the charge controller?
govols380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
SadieMae

Thanks for response. Not on purpose! I suppose something could have done that accidentally as the basement is full. I’m not familiar with even how to do that so any guidance? I will unload basement tomorrow morning and look around. The charge controller is mounted on the front wall of the basement. I looked for the Smart Shunt today but didn’t locate it.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:52 PM   #4
govols380

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=http://images.ext.keystonerv.com/media/App/SolarFlex/KRV%2520App%2520Documents/KRV%2520SolarFlex%2520Quick%2520Start%2520Guide%25 20400i.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjZ1qqY8I-CAxWOk2oFHVZaBOkQFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3-Ip0L8w_tJll6nBQNhJHU

See if this works?
Old 10-24-2023, 03:55 PM   #5
govols380

Or this?

https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...DF_QSG_WEB.pdf
Old 10-25-2023, 05:51 AM   #6
SadieMae

Govols380 - thanks again for the doc and I have reviewed it and checked the settings and they all are correct per the documentation. I still have my 5.74 volt reading from the VictronConnect shunt. Cloudy here today so I plugged into 110 with 50 amp adapter thinking batteries may charge themselves up.
I really am confused. Thinking I need to remove the batteries and put them on my charger and then test them. I’m concerned about taking all the connections loose because I have no way to completely shut off solar. Turning off the power to inverter and giggly box still allows solar charging. Ultimately Ithink I will have to cover panels and disconnect batteries. I’m going to see if I can get screen shot of VictronConnect app and attach, but have to figure that out.
Old 10-25-2023, 06:28 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

All you need to do to remove the battery/batteries is turn off power at the Giggy Box, remove the negative battery terminal cable, then remove the positive battery terminal cable and ISOLATE IT BY PUTTING IT IN A PLASTIC BAGGY OR OTHER NON-CONDUCTIVE CONTAINER. The solar system may still be "active and producing electricity, but that power will not be "shorted to any component" so no damage will be done.

At 5.74 VDC, your 12 volt lead acid battery/batteries are discharged to 0% and are likely to have been permanently damaged, possibly beyond recovery. You may benefit from trying a "sophisticated, pulse battery charger" with a "recovery setting" that pulses the battery to de-sulfate the plates, but even that may not be enough to fully repair your battery/batteries.

Prolonged "total discharge" of FLA batteries usually results in internal damage beyond repair.

It's always worth a try, but be very careful with relying on those batteries until you have some "validation of their performance" and know how they will perform in an overnight use of your trailer.

Here's a 12 volt FLA voltage/charge status chart to show you what voltage equals the approximate charge percentages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY CHARGE STATUS VOLTAGE CHART.gif
Views:	22
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	45478  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:29 AM   #8
SadieMae

Hi JRTJH, Thanks for that info.I was thinking that I had at least one bad battery but I checked the batteries with multimeter and both show 13.7 volts. I turned both inverter and giggly box off and still received those same numbers. Thinking the smartshunt has gone “wonky” but do not know for sure. Any thoughts on that? I’m headed out on a two month trip in January and do not want to have any issues.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:07 PM   #9
SadieMae

I think I made some progress today but really not sure. Original thought was bad battery(ies) and the smartshunt had just gone wonky.
I used multimeter and checked batteries, 13.7 in one and 13.6 in other. Removed batteries from TT and put on charger and in a couple of minutes both said 100% charged per my NOCO 3500 smart charger. Put batteries back in and to my dismay smartshunt still showed 5.84 or so.
Latest test was to disconnect from shore power, and turn on inside lights and bathroom fan at 4pm, minimal solar charging here in Ohio at 4pm. At 7pm smartshunt showed 5.20 volts and 98% charged. Solar shows 12.44 volts. Shunt also shows 1 day 21 hours left at this load.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:00 AM   #10
SadieMae

I went to solar installer with questions on my issues. Based on his recommendations I disconnected batteries again and opened giggy box where SmartShunt is located. As soon as I opened giggly box, water poured out. Not a huge amount, enough for a puddle. Water was dripping from the bus bars inside. Not full of water but enough to make me realize that anything with circuit board was probably ruined. Of course no warranty because TT is 17 months old. New SmartShunt is $130 and then the dilemma of how to keep dry. Obviously if I don’t realize water issue I’ll be back in the same shape.
Question - do I really need the SmartShunt? My Solar charging tells n
Me solar was working. There are a lot of battery specific settings in the SmartShunt configuration. Any thoughts?
Old 10-27-2023, 05:42 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If your trailer is still under warranty AND you had water "pour out of the Giggy Box", then I'd recommend that you tow it to the dealer and have him repair the damage and make the Giggy Box waterproof.

Why???

There's a lot more in the Giggy Box to go along with the shunt. All of those electrical components are going to corrode and become problems for you and your electrical system. Fix it now on "Keystone's dime" or spend a bucket load of money in the future to fix it when it all stops working from the affects of the water inside the Giggy Box.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 07:06 AM   #12
SargeW

To reinforce what John said, here is thread I made about the issues with a leaking Giggy box, with pics for clarity. Take a look.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=55809
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar