Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
craftguy

Keystone Rear Camera Wiring

I purchased one of the Furrion rear view oberservation cameras, as my Laredo was pre wired and had the mounting bracket there. We installed it, very easy plug and play, and not til several weeks later noticed the camera on all the time, while connected to shore power and would not shut off until shore power disconnected and the battery disconnect turned off. I later found that if I pulled the fuse marked accessories, it would turn off. I took it in for some other issues under warranty and mentioned it to the dealer. They said it sounds as if it was wired wrong from factory and should have been wired to the marker lights or in other words the lights when hooked to the truck via the pig tail.

Anyone else experienced this?
craftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
MerlinB

My Cougar was not pre-wired for a rear view camera but I purchased and installed the Furrion wireless camera. I tapped into the marker lights for power which works great for me. My truck has daytime running lights and I always drive with my parking lights on which lights up all of the marker lights and powers the camera. Having the rear view camera on while driving is a great aid to see when I am clear of any vehicle I am passing and it is safe to get back in line.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
EagleandFox

Same here - our Furrion observation camera that my husband installed is on all the time. He just hasn't had time to really check it out - I've been watching this forum to see if anyone else has issues - not sure if it really hurts to have it on - other than draining the batter when the camper isn't plugged in??
EagleandFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Old Mustanger

Furrion's installation manual indicates that Keystone pre-wired is connected to the power module, not the lights as all other manufacturers do. Only way to turn the camera off is with the battery disconnect or pull the fuse as previously mentioned. I don't think it hurts anything to have the camera on except maybe another very small drain on the batteries if not hooked to shore power.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Ddubya

Mine was wired the same way. I have a running light under the camera so I wired the camera to it. Now it is only on when the running lights are on.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
DOWva

My cougar came with the wiring in place to my rear lights, so when I hooked up my camera it worked like a charm. It was a good item to add on I really like it.

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Pmedic4

Being on all the time may not be all that bad....

I normally have my headlights on the AUTO-on setting, and then when towing need to remember to turn headlights on. First time my camera went off when towing, took me 15 minutes trying to figure out why the camera wasn't working.

Love the camera by the way.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Slipper

Any recommendations on good wireless rear cameras? A few of you mentioned furrion. are they good? If so anybody recommend a specific model? There are so many models available with very mixed reviews. Any help appreciated
Slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:00 AM   #9
Northofu1

Depending on the length of TV and TT wireless can have issues. I read quite a few reviews on wireless cams for trailers over 20 feet and they were really mixed depending on make of camera and length of trailer. I bought a wired and have no problems at all.
Good Luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
craftguy

Slipper,
I really like the furrion camera that is in observation too, not just backup. I like having it on going down the road. It's been great, except for my Keystone wire issues. furrion fos48tapk-bl

Jeff
Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
markjamestx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
Any recommendations on good wireless rear cameras? A few of you mentioned furrion. are they good? If so anybody recommend a specific model? There are so many models available with very mixed reviews. Any help appreciated
I just purchased a Zeroxclub wireless camera with a 7" monitor from Amazon. Easy install to the running lights. They included two brackets for the camera, one of them allows for vertical mounting where the antenna does not conflict with the bracket. $199 kit was on sale for $149. Excellent reviews, but there are some people that have intermittent signal loss. Today, I strip the wires and soldered them to ensure a good connection. Leaving tomorrow, we will see how it does. The seller has offered me an extended antenna?
markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #12
RoscoeV

craftguy, my new Laredo was wired the same way. I couldn't stand it anymore so I re-wired it to the running light above it. I always have my headlights on when I'm towing so it's no big deal. My last Keystone camper was wired to the running lights when I bought it new but I don't know if the factory wired it or the dealer. I was also surprised that the factory had about 6ft of cable in the new Laredo rolled up and squished under the camera mounting.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
craftguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
craftguy, my new Laredo was wired the same way. I couldn't stand it anymore so I re-wired it to the running light above it. I always have my headlights on when I'm towing so it's no big deal. My last Keystone camper was wired to the running lights when I bought it new but I don't know if the factory wired it or the dealer. I was also surprised that the factory had about 6ft of cable in the new Laredo rolled up and squished under the camera mounting.
Roscoe,
Thanks for replying. It's still in the shop for other warranty issues and having them look or redo it. It driven me nuts to, because there is virtually no way to turn it off, the way they wired it. I too drive with my lights on so that is the way I want it and should be. The "large amount" of cable was funny to see also. Took me a long time to feed it through.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
moodman

Actually, I have the Furrion wireless camera and monitor, but I don't like the quality and size of the video.
What I would like to know is what frequency exactly the signal is being sent out on so that I could have a large monitor in the cab of my truck. Anyone know the exact specs?
Old 08-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
LaTundra

Garmin GPS

Neither my 2010 Tundra nor my 2011 Laredo 291tg (33ft) came wired for backup camera. However, my Garmin Rv660 GPS can handle 4 wireless backup cameras. I ordered 2, hooked up one to the Tundra license plate, and hooked up the second to the Laredo license plate. Hooked in to the running lights. Installed the wireless sending unit in a storage compartment. While I'm driving down the road, I can switch on the camper camera and see what's behind me. When backing up, I can see what's behind the camper. Works great!
I would suggest you check out your GPS to see if you have the backup camera option.
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #16
Snoking

We just bought a Laredo 225MK and took the Observation camera off our large SOB 5th wheel, as it is not going to travel anymore.

Or the 5th wheel the power for the camera was via a sconce light next to the rear window. I installed another switch in the light fixture base for the camera. When I figure out something similar for the Laredo, I will be back and report.

Using running lights is OK as long as they are LED ones. If not they have to much voltage drop for the camera and range is deceased. I could drive 10 or 12 sites away and still have signal with the 5th wheel.

With the rear bath of the 225MK, I am thinking they got power from that lighting circuit.

If it comes from the 12V distribution panel, then I will install a switch on the "switch panel" that is on the wall above the distribution panel.
Chris
Old 08-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #17
Josephl

did you check what the voltage was at the middle running light? I checked mine at the camera and it was only about 10.5v. I had replaced the lights with leds and this was the voltage. Trying to figure out why such a big loss at the batteries it's 13+volts. Ideas????
Josephl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
Snoking

Turns out the 2019 Laredo 225MK backup camera prep uses the clearance lights OEM from the factory. Chris
Old 08-23-2018, 09:41 PM   #19
DocWMB

Wiring for rear camera

My rig was prewired to the clearance lights, and works as expected. When hooked to TV and clearance lights are on, my camera is on. I bought the 4UCam and used the adapter bracket provided to mount to the Furrion pre-mount that came with my rig. 37' 5er and QuadCab Longbed, and I only occassionally get choppy wireless signal or loss at highway speeds for a second at a time. http://www.4ucam.com/Digital-Quad-Vi...ht-Vision.html
Oregon

DocWMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #20
rogermack50

Craftguy,
I have a brand new 2019 Keystone Avalanche 320rs and also bought the Furrion backup camera. When I connected to the plug and play wire in the back it didn't work at all. So I took it inside the truck cab and plugged it into the test wire which is attached to the monitor it worked fine. I am bringing the 5th wheel into the dealer this Tuesday so I should find the reason then, but your statement about the Fuse in accessories made me think, could it just need a fuse? i thought it would be on the same wiring as the Backup lights etc, am I wrong....
rogermack50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, wiring