Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
npsumich

right truck for TT

Good morning,
We purchased a 2015 Keystone Outback 31’ scale weight of 7760 dry. We had purchased a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 before we got the TT...not good! We have had the trailer out only 3 times, and it seems like the truck should be bigger. The info on the inside driver door reads: GVWR 7000lbs - GAWR Frt 3950 lbs. GAWR rr 3950 lbs. My GMC is 5.3L , axle ratio of 3.42, the box is 5’8”. All the info I have researched says max TT is 9100. We have a sway bar system also.
So to make a long story short......ideas?? Thanks!

PS: hopefully given enough info to help the decision making process🙂

Nick from Washington State🌲🌲
npsumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Bet you get good gas mileage. You will hear from the human computers who can give you all kinds of facts and figures but you NEVER want to pull right up to some limit as towing is then made miserable. Chevy says you can pull up to 9800 lbs. Since you have a short bed and low numerical rear axle I suspect you are quite a bit under this magical max figure. You don't have a tow package either with that axle. Since you didn't mention the specific model trailer, you say it has a dry scale weight of 7700 lbs. The GVWR is likely quite a bit over your ability to tow safely or comfortably with that trailer. The combo tow vehicle and trailer is likely no bueno.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Retired Copper

Many on here have been where you are right now and you are not alone. Just because a chart says a vehicle can pull xxx doesn't mean it should pull a xxx pound 30 foot plus sail behind it. Heck the truck could probably pull a 10000 lbs. flat bed trailer. You have a lot of force applied to the trailer and the faster you pull and the harder the wind blows; well you get the idea. Hope you have Lt tires, good shocks and the best WDH you can afford. I pulled a 30 trailer with a half ton truck; after tires, shocks and a better hitch. The truck had the power and as long as I stayed around 60 mph it did a good job. I was also always worried about payload and watching what I loaded. I knew At between 6200lbs and 6800lbs. I was at the top of mine comfort zone and with the grand kids on board it was not a relaxing tow once you hit the interstate and semi`s running 80 past you all the time. I upgrade to a 3/4 ton with 3351 lbs of pay load and I take what ever I want and I upgraded the china bombs on the Trailer and I run whatever I feel comfortable at which is about 68 on the inter state. I still get a very small nudge every once in a great long while. I can tow for hours and still not be as tired as I would be in the 1/2 ton after just a couple of hours. Listen to the setup it will tell you how it is doing if you pay attention. Just like you said how the truck felt; it is telling you your at your max the way things are now.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

In a short version - you bought more trailer than your truck should handle safely.

You didn't include the payload number from the placards where you got the gawr/gvw etc. That one will help you figure this out. The tongue weight on your trailer will be in the 1000 lb. range when loaded; probably more. When it comes to towing a 1/2 ton truck is made for "light" towing. They give you max tow numbers but by the time you pull something that big you have more than likely exceeded at least one or more weight restrictions. Been there, done that. You won't be able to "feel" like you have the right truck until you have one that is made for towing that kind of load.

Some things for you to do and post back; how many in the family? ages? What kind of trips do you plan to take? What do you like to do...what will you be carrying? Payload of truck? Model of trailer? GVW of trailer (on the placard on the side up front generally)? What kind/brand/size (rating) of WDH? What kind/size of tires on the truck (P rated/LT)? Lots of things for us, and you, to know.

Post info back and I'm sure folks will chime in. Your current truck isn't really going to be adequate for that big, long sail. The other info will let you know just how inadequate and give you some ideas on how to deal with the situation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
Northofu1

Sorry np,,,
I would go back to trailer dealer or a trailer dealer and trade down to a smaller/ lighter trailer. Maybe something with a 7400 lb gvwr around the 5 to 6k dry weight, and get a really good weight distribution hitch. I would think taking a hit on a trailer would be easier and less expensive. Or, you could park it at a site and use it there for the summer.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Pull Toy

As previously mentioned, you're probably at the limit, or slightly in trouble.

My sincere advice, is to upgrade your tow vehicle, if practical, or at least stiffen your current TV, with bagging, weight distributing hitch, sway control, and aux. oil and tranny coolers. You might still be illegal, but, at least manageable for short jaunts. If you want to go "Cross Country" ... NYET!!! Stay local for now, and see how it plays out.

As far as trading it back... you'll take a BATH ON DEPRECIATION, even if the salesman gave you the thumbs up! "Once it leaves the lot... it's yours, sorry"! You might be better off on a new or newer TV.

When it all plays out... it a wonderful life!

Good Luck

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I feel for you. I think most of us have been in your situation. I would suggest getting a seasonal site until you can upgrade the truck.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Northofu1

I was originally looking at a "1/2 ton towable fifth wheel", the salesman said my truck would haul it no problem, it wasn't until I asked a tech at the dealership about the Pullrite
auto slide hitch did I hear anyone question what options I had in my truck. He pointed out that the trailer dry weight was 7.5k lbs, and had a gvwr of 11k. He said this would exceed the GCVWR. When I asked the salesman, he said "no it would be fine, I will talk to the tech and get back to you". He never did. I dodged that bullet.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote