Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

not wired for 2nd A/C?

Have 2002 Cougar 5ver (27ft) and am installing a new 15K BTU Dometic A/C on Monday. Will have the old 13.5K BTU on hand and it still works fine; just doesn't get things really cool in the cabin. I have done everything like closing down the vent ends, installing new vents that can be closed, new HVAC tape to close up the void between the vents and duct, etc. A/C was fully cleaned (upper and lower parts) this spring but when it hits 105F, it is just in the lower 80s in the cabin. Hence the new A/C purchased from PPL Motorhomes yesterday via internet and delivered today for free!!!

In any case, the 13.5 could have a home if I remove the front vent and drop it in. Will need a lower (unducted; no thermostat) unit and a seal. Issue is power. My unit is a rear kitchen and the A/C coming in is at the back. There isn't enough capacity in my power converter which is also on the back wall and no way to drag wires to the front.

Has anyone just run some outdoor 12/2 to the rear of their trailer for connection to a 20A outlet on a pole? I have one at my home parking spot in addition to my 30A service right at my electrical pole. If 12 ga. doesn't make sense, not averse to 10/2 but that stuff gets bulky... I am not an electrician but handy enough to make mistakes. Would you run the A/C line up over the roof? Don't want to run it through the cabin since there is the bathroom/sink area between the bedroom and cabin. Thoughts? If you trailer is pre-wired for a 2nd A/C, God bless you but mine ain't and I can't afford one that is.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote