Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
spade117

Interesting Meal Ideas

Did a search for this with almost no results. Figured this could be a good place for people to post their meal ideas and others to try some of those. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc.

The majority of my cooking time is over the fire, and I'm always interested in what others are cooking/eating.

One of our standards that others seem to have not had before is fire roasted margherita pepperoni. Sliced thick and rotated over the fire on a marshmellow stick, these are always a fan favorite.

Last week I made a jambalaya in the dutch oven. Polish sausage, peppers and onions sautéed first, then mix in cooked rice and boss sauce. Mix well and serve.

So lets see some of what others out there are making.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
starflower

Those both sound amazing!! We marinated chicken chunks, veggies (those mini red, yellow and orange peppers, mushrooms, onion) and pineapple in Very Very Teriyaki sauce with a little green onion thrown in last weekend and then cooked it on skewers over the camp fire (directly on the grate) - they were awesome! -- A trailer camping newbie who will be following this thread!
starflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
notanlines

I like the general idea of this. As popular as this subject sometimes becomes there should probably be a subdivision for the cooking only. And remember, if you don't have a picture then it probably didn't happen.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
travelin texans

The drawback is cooking over an open fire. We haven't been to a place that allows open fires in years!! You can have the little propane fire pits or gas grills, but NO wood fires. To be honest haven't missed gathering/buying firewood or having my clothes & rv smelling of smoke.
So bring on some gas grilling ideas also.
One of our favorites is fresh corn on the cob, trim the stalk end & most of the hair ends, soak in water for 2-3 hours, place on a hot grill turning till husk has nearly burnt off, peel off what husk is left (caution ears will be very hot) & add butter & salt to taste, don't get no better than that.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
starflower

"And remember, if you don't have a picture then it probably didn't happen. " - LOL! Duly noted!

And Danny & Linda, my goodness, agree about grilled corn on the cob. YUM!
starflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The drawback is cooking over an open fire. We haven't been to a place that allows open fires in years!! You can have the little propane fire pits or gas grills, but NO wood fires. To be honest haven't missed gathering/buying firewood or having my clothes & rv smelling of smoke.
One of our favorites is fresh corn on the cob, trim the stalk end & most of the hair ends, soak in water for 2-3 hours, place on a hot grill turning till husk has nearly burnt off, peel off what husk is left (caution ears will be very hot) & add butter & salt to taste, don't get no better than that.
You know, I bought some roasted corn a while back outside of Ruidoso, NM on the Mescalero Indian reservation; they used some mixture of seasonings that was just super. I bought a bottle from them and have it here somewhere with all my "cooking stuff". I'll see if I can't find that and post back. It really elevates the taste of the roasted corn.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
guitarboy52

Not a late riser, but, like my breakfast over the stove. Omelets, bacon, sausage. Lunch and dinner another matter. On the grill, I like to slather my corn in olive oil, salt and pepper, and turn when some of the kernels turn brown/black, zucchini sliced in half with olive/avacado oil, salt and pepper . Slow roasted baby backs are my specialty ,but, burgers, dogs and boneless chicken thighs work any time. We do lasagna, stroganoff, meat balls and such ahead and freeze in food saver vacuum bags and microwave or boil.
guitarboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
ptooti

Ice you say ?
Here is something we invented anything goes!
I will list in layers the ingredients are irrelevant you can put anything you like in there
Thick Tin foil,
oil any type you like,
onion
thinly sliced carrot mushrooms these are what we call sacrificial as they may get burned
next is meat any kind you like seasoned however we have done bbq, lime Italian dressing, General Tso, sweet sour whatever
then a bit more veggies maybe pineapple
and some minute rice uncooked or pasta whatever
now ice cubes we use 6 to 8 good size cubes wrap it all TIGHTLY
BBQ on med (pour a drink) go 30-40 min
(pour another) flip packet for another 20 min
Enjoy!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2454.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	17187Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2452.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	17188Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2457.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	630.1 KB
ID:	17189Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2458.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	17190Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2460.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	648.3 KB
ID:	17191I

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Wow. Some of this stuff looks really good...but takes a lot of time. I like MREs....developed an affinity for them years ago...quick, easy and SO tasty...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:35 AM   #10
notanlines

Ptooti, THAT'S what I'm talking about! See how much better the presentation is? Your pictures make a person want to actually try your recipe on their own and see what they get! (You had me with the pineapple)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:12 AM   #11
spade117

Foil bags are great. We have done a few different versions for those. Breakfast style with ground sausage, bacon, veggies, eggs. Dinner style with shrimp or beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.

Another meal we make that is mostly done ahead of time and makes for almost no cleanup in the morning is breakfast burritos. Cook eggs, bacon, sausage, peppers, onions, or whatever else you like ahead of time, place cooked food on tortilla, sprinkle cheese on, and then wrap in foil. Heat them on the grill for about 10 minutes or until cheese is mostly melted and they are done. Easy to open, if like me, you like to add some sort of hot sauce or whatever.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:21 AM   #12
jsmith948

This is all good information. Did you folks know that if you go to the 'Commiinity' tab, there is a "Kamp Kithchen" social group? Haven't been many posts there, unfortunately. Maybe this thread will spark some renewed interest. I'm not sure, but I think 'SAAB Doctor' started/helped start this group. Check it out

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
ptooti

Thanks I agree seeing is believing

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #14
rbowen1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I like to do mine in the microwave. Put it in the way it comes (husk & all) , cook for 4 min, cut the bottom 2-3" off and squeeze the top..out it comes!
rbowen1063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #15
khmiller

Pie irons

We have discovered pie irons and have really been enjoying experimenting with different meals. They're great because each person can customize their own serving. They can cook what they want, when they want. You can use them over a grill too if you can't build a fire. They have different names depending on what part of the country you're from. I think some call them pudgie pies too.

We've done several dishes. Some worked and some didn't. Experimenting is half the fun.

Get the cast iron versions. The aluminum ones just warp, or worse, melt! Besides, everything tastes better when it's cooked in cast iron!
khmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #16
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by khmiller View Post
We have discovered pie irons and have really been enjoying experimenting with different meals. They're great because each person can customize their own serving. They can cook what they want, when they want. You can use them over a grill too if you can't build a fire. They have different names depending on what part of the country you're from. I think some call them pudgie pies too.

We've done several dishes. Some worked and some didn't. Experimenting is half the fun.

Get the cast iron versions. The aluminum ones just warp, or worse, melt! Besides, everything tastes better when it's cooked in cast iron!
I agree, and have been using these for years. I like to call them "fire sammiches".
Old 07-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #17
MTBlazer89

We've done several variations of the tin foil "hobo dinners" is what they have been dubbed. They are great for breakfast. We typically chop up onions, peppers, mushrooms etc prior to leaving as this stuff is easier to store in ziplocks and used for multiple meals. We often do a pork or beef roast in the crockpot the day before we leave then bring the shredded meat. Easy to do sandwiches and tacos with. I always prefer the good ol fashioned farm raised steak with potatoes and a veggie on the grill though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinner.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	17534  
NAVY CHIEF!
MTBlazer89 is offline   Reply With Quote