Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #61
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfeeley View Post
Typical comment from a "service Tech". Just can't be wrong. Please!!

Typical? No, just asking. As I stated, I am not trying to point a finger, but if you got offended by my question, then I am sorry. I stand by my comment that IMO you would FEEL it if you did indeed hit a pot hole. Been hauling trailers since 1989 so I speak as an RV'er not just a tech.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #62
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Is there a way to adjust the jacks up on the mounting brackets?

The typical installation is to use 6 bolts on the jack and secure it to a mounting bracket that has a series of holes to set the height of the jack. Since there is an "override" on the top and bottom, if there is room, one could move them up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #63
Mcfeeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Is there a way to adjust the jacks up on the mounting brackets?
That's a good idea. I plan on asking the dealer. My suspicion is that there is not enough reach with the jack for stability. Otherwise, I can't see why they wouldn't have done that to begin with. I did not feel or hear any unusual sound when it occurred. There is a pot hole turning into the drive to my storage space. It is where the gravel meets the asphalt. It's a 90 degree turn so I was going slow. I'm not sure the trailer wheels tracked it, but even if it did the hole is not that deep. My theory is that the rear wheel sunk in the hole, it then abruptly came up on the lip of the asphalt, compressing the suspension upward with the frame still stationary and the foot pad naturally hitting the edge because it is immediately behind the wheel. It may never happen again and I don't plan on taking it off-road, but if this scenario is what happened, it happened on a busy city street. I'm curious as to when they started mounting the jacks this way and how many units there are with this set up.
Mcfeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #64
chuckster57
Site Team

New Auto Leveling System

We have moved the rear jacks up on a few units. It does change the travel, but that's easily overcome by blocks. As I previously stated, it depends on the clearance at the top of the jack.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:43 AM   #65
Mikesr

My 2017 Outback 325BH came with the BAL 7.1 system. Anyone know if this is better then the 7.0 or the Ground Control 3.0 offered by Lippert ?
I noticed the 2 rear leveling jacks seem low like mentioned above. The 4 stabilizer jacks seem to be plenty high.
Anyone have any good tips on using blocks from the jacks or stabilizer pads ?
Thanks
I was the OP of this thread
Mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #66
Mcfeeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Typical? No, just asking. As I stated, I am not trying to point a finger, but if you got offended by my question, then I am sorry. I stand by my comment that IMO you would FEEL it if you did indeed hit a pot hole. Been hauling trailers since 1989 so I speak as an RV'er not just a tech.
As I stated, I didn't feel it. Driving a diesel truck, an equalizer hitch and a long trailer over a bumpy corner, it would be hard hearing or feeling anything. I also have been RVing a long time. Just never with this setup.
Mcfeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #67
Rumtan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
You Americans are so lucky. We never got our sliced bread until 1937.

And if I am not mistaken it was on a Tuesday.
Rumtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #68
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesr View Post
My 2017 Outback 325BH came with the BAL 7.1 system. Anyone know if this is better then the 7.0 or the Ground Control 3.0 offered by Lippert ?
I noticed the 2 rear leveling jacks seem low like mentioned above. The 4 stabilizer jacks seem to be plenty high.
Anyone have any good tips on using blocks from the jacks or stabilizer pads ?
Thanks
I was the OP of this thread
I like the Lynx Leveler packs. They are plenty strong and you can stack them.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #69
Cardcathrn

I have it and worked great at campground. Where I have problems is in driveway. It is somewhat uneven and slanted uphill to street. I finally put two 1" boards under 3 of the 4 jacks and got the green light. Took forever! I am really new to this whole TT camper thing and during walk through they said no more than 1, 1" board because Jackie have to extend. Broke the rules. Also tires are up off ground. Isn't that a no no?
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #70
Farmer_smith

I seem to have the same problem as a few of you, I just bought a 2017 sprinter 312MLS with the 3.0 level system and I have not been super impressed with it. I have set the TT up a few times in my drive way and just spent 10 days camping at a park and it has yet to successfully auto level, it seems if the trailer is even a little off level to start with it won't auto level, but i can manually level. I went to level it today in my gravel driveway and the right front jack broke The shear pin on the work screw broke at the motor so now that jack just flops. I will be taking it back to my dealer tomorrow so they fix it
Farmer_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #71
raddad73

SO i resolved the the issue of my BAL 7.1 auto level system, not leveling front to rear. In the bedroom closet, there is an access panel in the floor. I found three upholstered covered screws, Once I removed them I was able to grab the carpet and the panel came up. BTW this is also how you get access to Hot water tank. in this compartment I found a control box for the leveling system. the adjustment I made was the op middle screw of the control box. left to raise front right to lower.

This was for a 328RL I have heard that others have found this under the bed..

Now I like the auto level feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Level Control.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	13300  
raddad73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #72
chuckster57
Site Team

Thanks for updating. I haven't had the occasion to work on a unit with BAL 7.1, but at least now I know what I'm looking for.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #73
JMB

I am also interested in any information on the new 7.1 BAL system they are putting on the outbacks We are considering a new 266RB, have had a ground control 3.0 but always gunshy of sometyhing new
JMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:47 AM   #74
raddad73

It works like a champ, once you have it dialed in.. Press a button and it auto deploys and levels.
raddad73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #75
JMB

Thanks looking forward to giving it a try
JMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #76
Maddoggy

Auto level

We have it on our Cougar 277RLSWE. It works fairly well, but does not have as much travel/lift on the jacks as I would like to have. This system is definitely not built with Mountain Boondocking style camping in mind.
Maddoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #77
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_smith View Post
... I went to level it today in my gravel driveway and the right front jack broke The shear pin on the work screw broke at the motor so now that jack just flops...
Exact same thing happened to me as well several weeks ago. Waiting to have it replaced under warranty.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #78
bob91yj

Our Outback 330RL came with the BAL7.1 system. We are stationary full timers so I've only used the system a couple of times.

The system works great, my issue was with the dealership we bought the trailer from...they had NO IDEA how the system worked. When I asked for the demonstration of the system they went and got their "top tech"...he didn't even know where the control panel was for the jacks. He kept trying to use the command panel inside the coach to get it to work. During my exterior walk around on the trailer I saw the panel outside on the driver side. Once I showed him the panel, he still couldn't get the system to work. In the end, I was told that the system had not been calibrated, once that was done it worked as designed.

Lesson learned...check the system operation during your PDI!
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #79
Maddoggy

Auto level system issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
Our Outback 330RL came with the BAL7.1 system. We are stationary full timers so I've only used the system a couple of times.

The system works great, my issue was with the dealership we bought the trailer from...they had NO IDEA how the system worked. When I asked for the demonstration of the system they went and got their "top tech"...he didn't even know where the control panel was for the jacks. He kept trying to use the command panel inside the coach to get it to work. During my exterior walk around on the trailer I saw the panel outside on the driver side. Once I showed him the panel, he still couldn't get the system to work. In the end, I was told that the system had not been calibrated, once that was done it worked as designed.

Lesson learned...check the system operation during your PDI!
The leveling system would not "auto level" when we got our unit home. Called the dealer, and they wanted us to bring it back, but a 12 hour drive back to Idaho was out of the question. Called a few dealers, and they were basically worthless for troubleshooting help. I ended up calling Lippert Components (they manufactured the system). Talked with a tech for 10 minutes and repaired the problem. If you have any issues with this system, I highly recommend calling Lippert directly. Super easy to deal with.
Maddoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #80
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
I am also interested in any information on the new 7.1 BAL system they are putting on the outbacks We are considering a new 266RB, have had a ground control 3.0 but always gunshy of sometyhing new

I have had the new bal 7.1 auto level on my 2018 325 bh since dec. have camped several times and taken it on 2000 mile round trip. Had to set the level at the brain the first day at home but after that works great with no problems. Buy and enjoy.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling