Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #21
thanket

Wholesale

I bought my keystone at a wholesale place in Cincinnati. Cougar 337MKS. Very happy with the whole process, even had a trade in. I called my local keystone dealer for warranty work and they told me no because I did not buy the unit there. I had purchased my last trailer off of them less than 2 years ago.. Will never go back again. Called a place closer to where I actually camp and they came to the campground to do the warranty work. Only paid $65 for them to come to me.
thanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #22
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
And Keystone dealers that refuse service to units they did sell.

I know a guy with a bike shop that does close to $1 mil annually. Another with a lawn and farm equipment business that does about 10 times that. Buy somewhere else and they will not repair, warranty or cash. RV dealers are not the only ones -----

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #23
rsl

I purchased my current unit from a large dealer near Cincinnati, which is a little over 10 hours one way from me. I conducted my including trade in over the phone and through email, it was great process all on the up and up. The price was almost $5k less then I could get from any place locally so I went into the deal very skeptical. I had the warranty work concern also, the salesman assured me Keystone had a nationwide warranty coverage on it and reminded me the factory warranty is short only a year and if anything breaks it probably would not be within a year anyway. I figured the salesman was just trying to sell a unit so I called and followed up with an email to Keystone customer service. I was informed that Keystone requires their dealers to provide warranty repairs to all units regardless of if they are bought there or not. So with that being the last deciding factor I drove the 10 hours and got me a new RV. The dealer had everything ready when we got there, pulled our trade in next to our new RV, did a walk through, signed the paperwork and spent the day moving stuff and going through it with a fine tooth comb making a list of any issues no matter how minor. We spent the night on the dealers lot (they provided electric, a water fill up location, and on site dump station). When we got up the next morning we did a second nit picking, then gave the list to the service manager and went to breakfast. Upon returning from breakfast and checking on status they had about an hour left and then we were on the road home with the punch list items taken care of. Got home found a leaking toilet valve, call the dealer, at my request they just sent me a new one and a spare under warranty.

Almost done with the story I swear..

End of camping season comes along, we have been making a list of minor issues that we wanted taken care of under warranty. I called the local Keystone dealer, they asked me VIN and told me they would not work on it since I didn't buy it there, I explained Keystone advised I could take it to any Keystone dealer. They stood their ground they were not working on it. I called Keystone and explained to them what was going on, they put me on hold then came back and said they had called that dealer, tried to make an appointment to have a unit worked on and were refused. Keystone rep advised me they would write up an incident report a submit it. I asked about the guarantee Keystone had gave me in writing and the response was yes that is our (Keystone) policy but they can still refuse....... Keystone rep advised however they would penalize them by knocking down the discount they get on unit purchases. Keystone rep then suggested another dealer in the area and made the comment that it might be a bad idea for me to take my unit to the dealer that I had Keystone force to work on it and cost them lots of money with the penalty. Keystone rep contacted the other and had them call me to setup an appointment. That dealer fit me in and fixed my unit. Now I am out of warranty and on my 5 year extended warranty which all dealers are happy to accept ($$$$ for them).
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #24
mark1228

I am an RV dealership owner. RV dealers are different that car dealers in the sense that car dealers are Franchised and therefore there are certain protections and agreements contained in the franchise agreement and one of those is transient warranty work. RV dealers have no franchise protection meaning that Keystone has the right to pull any brand out of my store at any time they want. I also have the right to sell any other brands I want without advising Keystone. The RV dealer agreements are very loose and have almost no protections in place for either party which makes it impossible that Keystone "force" a dealer to do warranty work on something they did not sell. RV dealers are completely independent and make their own business decisions. A Ford dealer can't add a GM brand to his store without Fords approval for example. Keystone will NOT reduce a discount for refusal to do warranty work Keystone is all about as much volume as they can get out the door and refusal to do warranty work and a transient unit will not get in the way of that. The RV warranty relationship is this: Keystone is the paying customer for work performed in my shop. They don't allow me to make money on parts and dictate the time I get paid per job. It is much more profitable to do over the counter work than warranty work so many dealers just elect not to warranty on a unit they did not sell.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #25
Freeheel4life

I work at a boat shop and we will do warranty work on boats that were purchased at other dealers. Sure it doesn't pay as much but if we gain a service customer it's money for winterization and out of warranty repairs down the road. Additionally in a world of toys many trade in and move up to new boats in relatively short periods of time. I guess some dealers volume is enough they don't care but to us every happy customer that we can steal/retain from another dealer is a win. Curious why some rv dealers wouldn't feel the same??
Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #26
mark1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
I work at a boat shop and we will do warranty work on boats that were purchased at other dealers. Sure it doesn't pay as much but if we gain a service customer it's money for winterization and out of warranty repairs down the road. Additionally in a world of toys many trade in and move up to new boats in relatively short periods of time. I guess some dealers volume is enough they don't care but to us every happy customer that we can steal/retain from another dealer is a win. Curious why some rv dealers wouldn't feel the same??
Having been in the boat business for 10 years and now in the RV business for 18 I do know that they are similar but also very different. I think for many dealers it really comes down to their individual market. I can't speak for other dealers but for us we are the only dealer providing service in a fairly large geographic area and our shop is honestly busier than I would like. Our service schedule regularly is out 3-5 weeks and we are in a Northern climate with a shorter season so 3-5 weeks is just to long. Our shop has been like this for 10 years. You don't find experienced RV techs so you have to train your own. We have added 7 shop bays and 9 techs over the last 15 years but still can't keep up so it is hard to accept transient warranty work that doesn't pay well when we can't keep up with our existing customers.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote