Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #31
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
My recommendation is to buy "lightly used" RVs. Many of the new problems have already been fixed. Plus you don't take that huge off the lot depreciation.
I agree with this so long as you are very knowledgeable about RVs. Your experience will help you avoid buying someone elses problems. When buying used you need to be picky and patient.

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #32
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I agree with this so long as you are very knowledgeable about RVs. Your experience will help you avoid buying someone elses problems. When buying used you need to be picky and patient.

It seems the problem buying new ones is there are often undetectable issues that only show up "down the road". Then you often have to deal with under staffed and/or poorly trained service personnel at the dealers plus you're paying the big bucks right out of the gate.

pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #33
Claudius

Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We tented when i was a kid. When i got married we tented. We have 2 great grandchildren now. We now have a 2013 35 foot keystone TT. It will be our last. Looking back we tented, I built a Camper Van, had a Husky Camper.
Some travel trailers. If i were not handy I think i might have given up on this years ago. Every single unit i owned had issues, even the camper van i built. It ended up too heavy and the brakes warped all the time. There was always something. Being young back then i couldn't afford the cost of some one repairing stuff. I put a one piece roof on my Camper cause it was leaking.
New Fridge. Buying new isn't much better. My 2013 for example, The atwood fridge is crap we hated it, so i put in a new Dometic RM2852. My stove had a small oven RV-1735 which won't even cook a chicken so i put in a atwood RA-2135. My water pump didn't give me enough water and pressure to the shower which is in the front and my pump is in the back. Couldn't shave in the dinky sink so a bigger one went in. Pantry 25" deep...lol, wife is under 5' tall she couldn't get the stuff in the back, that got fixed. It goes on, but that's enough. This is a new trailer not used. Buy used? Been there done that too. Are you fussy like me? Better have money and or be handy. They all have issues. It's almost a crap shoot. If you tow you will have a lot more issues than these park it in a resort Campers....lol. Seen the new windrivers? The ceilings are coming down from the factory right where they join them. $70.000 for those things.
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #34
bbells

IMHO, a current year dealer rental is the best way to buy a trailer. I go on a month long trip 2-3 times a year, and hate motels. I have owned numerous tents, then tent trailers, bought a new North Trail in 2014, then my current Springdale in February of this year. The North Trail had extreme quality issues like yours, so I sold it for a low price. That trailer told me what not to get in my next one. The dealer rental had a great price, and all the kinks were already found and repaired. I have had nothing but good luck with it. I would suggest, sell your current trailer, use what you learned from it, and get a camper that more closely meets your needs. Or, get a cheaper used one and like one person said, understand it is older and live with the flaws.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #35
rjullrich

Well, I guess we are not the only ones who still love our camper and all of the GOOD experiences that have gone with it. Frustrating as hell at times, but still worth it. And, a big part of the satisfaction is being around some of the nicest and most considerate people you will ever find. That includes not only those at the rv parks, but so many great people right here on this forum. No question is considered "stupid", and no judgment is made. Everyone is treated with respect - you know, just like a lot of us older folks were raised and how we have lived our entire lives. I believe that camping folks are the BEST!!! Just my 2c worth. :-)
rjullrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #36
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
We tented when i was a kid. When i got married we tented. We have 2 great grandchildren now. We now have a 2013 35 foot keystone TT. It will be our last. Looking back we tented, I built a Camper Van, had a Husky Camper.
Some travel trailers. If i were not handy I think i might have given up on this years ago. Every single unit i owned had issues, even the camper van i built. It ended up too heavy and the brakes warped all the time. There was always something. Being young back then i couldn't afford the cost of some one repairing stuff. I put a one piece roof on my Camper cause it was leaking.
New Fridge. Buying new isn't much better. My 2013 for example, The atwood fridge is crap we hated it, so i put in a new Dometic RM2852. My stove had a small oven RV-1735 which won't even cook a chicken so i put in a atwood RA-2135. My water pump didn't give me enough water and pressure to the shower which is in the front and my pump is in the back. Couldn't shave in the dinky sink so a bigger one went in. Pantry 25" deep...lol, wife is under 5' tall she couldn't get the stuff in the back, that got fixed. It goes on, but that's enough. This is a new trailer not used. Buy used? Been there done that too. Are you fussy like me? Better have money and or be handy. They all have issues. It's almost a crap shoot. If you tow you will have a lot more issues than these park it in a resort Campers....lol. Seen the new windrivers? The ceilings are coming down from the factory right where they join them. $70.000 for those things.
So your trailer is "your last one" due to some of the problems listed? Are you going to just give up the options that the RV gives you? Are you at the age that you just don't want to mess with it any longer and just sit at home? I'm interested because I wonder about "what's next" for us...sort of. I have 2 homes, tons of timeshare (at least 6 mos. in a minimum of a 2 bdrm. luxury condo in VERY nice places), the RV and the means to just "go places". Of all those things, we have become very attached to the RV and what it offers us vs all the other things, so again, I'm just wondering what you perceive your options are to keep going and seeing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #37
Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
So your trailer is "your last one" due to some of the problems listed?
NO....OLD AGE silly. I don't intend on pulling 60' (truck and trailer = 60') down the road at age 75. I don't sit in a resort (not my idea of Camping)
This trailer will last me 10 more years I might not.
mskeyspirate should know that a person that travels down the road with their rig will always have more issues than one who parks it in a resort so to speak.
They don't use the 110 volt side of the unit, where as one who pulls might use the 12v and propane side.
So sort through the answers people give you in here.

Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote