Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
abneynormal

st vs lt its all in your speed and weight

I have been schooled, sorta. recently on 3 occasions I have blown 3 of the power king towmax tires. I wasn't happy. you learn most all st tires are made in china aka "china bombs" then you learn they are rated for a measly 65MPH. I have been coast to coast in trucks, some were 63mph and I hated them. I like to roll the fl70 will roll and pull the 3912lev nicely. I opted for firestone ht 235/85 16 load rating 120 (3169) and a r (106mph)speed rating. I learned the 245/75 16 would be closer to the 235/80 in height. oh well mine will do the tires are just closer to each other. I know the Snail Tire (st)fans will start harping about load capacities and all that jazz. I cat scaled it and the load is under 15000 ( 2 motorcycles plus a full water tank) on my 3 6000 axles. the book tells you to drop the trailer on the scales to weigh it separately DON'T DO IT you can tear up their scales. you can weigh the rig drop the trailer and reweigh the truck and add the difference in your rear axle to the rv.
you 2 axle guys don't have as much wiggle room. goodyear makes a 14 ply tire. but, I have heard they are prone to blowouts too. you can also opt for bigger wheels for load n speed issues. oh wellbe safe and keep the wheel side down
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
abneynormal

good info

http://fasteagletiretalk.blogspot.com/
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote