Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Find a new route?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Zebra

Texas to Colorado to Wyoming

We are planning on taking I25 from Texas into Colorado (Trinidad, Raton, Colorado Springs) and up past Loveland. Then 287 Fort Collins to I80 through South Wyoming to Utah.

2015 Ram 2500 5.7 GAS (not diesel) pulling Keystone 30RLDS TT. I had a hard time towing in Texas Hill country. Lost 10-20 mph on the hills. Have only been traveling since January of this year on pretty flat areas. Never even been out west before.

I want to be safe, smart and capable. Before I thought RV drivers do this ALL the time! Currently I’m just petrified. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Gas engine...heavy trailer ...concerned driver.

Please don’t tell me to get a new truck 😊
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

When we lived in Denver (70's) before the Eisenhower Tunnel was completed, we towed a 20' travel trailer over Loveland and Berthoud and Rabbit Ears Passes regularly. It was always a challenge, seldom crowded, filled with 10MPH switchbacks and 1000' drop-offs. The roads are better now, the vehicles are better now, and the scenery, well, most of it is the same as back then, once you get away from the crowded metropolitan areas.

Plan on some 25MPH, second gear climbs in the far right lane and expect that some 18 wheelers will likely pass you. Watch your transmission and engine temperatures on the uphill and use your engine/transmission to help maintain a slow decent on the downhill side. Don't use your brakes any more than necessary and just relax, accept and acknowledge the slow climbs, stay on top of managing your engine RPM to keep it in the power band and enjoy the trip.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Well, if the hill country gave you trouble, wait for the Rockies. I'm assuming you're coming from FL (St. Petersburg) and you've made the trip to TX before.

Other than the hill country, TX is non eventful. If you're going thru Las Cruces on 25 there are some hills around there. It's been a long time since I used 25 going there but there is quite a long, tall grade coming in on hwy. 70 as you cross the Organ mountains; I think the same holds true coming in on I25; someone will probably expound.

Raton Pass used to be much worse than it is today but is worse than most hill country roads grade wise. It is a divided 4 lane and very wide.

Other than that you've picked a route that is pretty tame with not much scenery - pretty forgettable really. You are going to be traveling through some areas that have some awesome things to see and do. It's a shame to just drive thru it and stay on the freeway. Royal Gorge, Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak just flipped in my mind. Also, at Ft. Collins you could cut off and go to Walden (moose capital of the U.S.??). Beautiful drive following a river I can't remember the name of. At Walden you can cut back NW and get back to I80. It IS slow, windy and somewhat hilly - and 2 lane, but beats the heck out of the big highways.

The 5.7 is going to labor on some of the grades. I would double check your truck and trailer brakes; you will have a box weighing right at 10,000 lbs. trying to shove you down those mountains....or pull you over the edge

Having pulled about the same load with about the same truck I will tell you that you need LT tires on the truck; air bags in the springs and a GOOD anti sway/WDH setup. Use tow/haul along with gear selection going downhill.

What kind of brake controller do you have? Make sure it is set properly and you know how to use it. Take is slow and take your time - enjoy what there is to see. Without a larger truck I'm not sure you will be able to "enjoy" what's out there because depending on the circumstances that big of a trailer behind that truck CAN become a handful. Just be careful.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
Zebra

We got new LT tires. Brakes checked 3000 miles ago...trailer brakes are new (purchased new unit 9/17). My trailer brakes are “built in” to the truck. This sounds dumb but the squeeze to brake kind. Our sway bars are good and I figure if we can get to the campgrounds off I25 we can unhook and drive without the tow to see the beauty.

May check out moose country. Normally I drive 4 hrs/300 miles. I’m thinking 300 miles through Colorado May take me longer than I anticipated! Thanks so much for your help!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
mfifield01

I went with a couple of friends up through NM, Pagosa, RMNP, and into southern Wyoming (in 2014). We took a 34" Prowler that weighed near 10000lbs. The TV was a 2003 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. I remember Wolf Creek Pass being the most difficult on the truck. I had it in the floor and we slowly went up it at around 30 MPH. I think coming down the pass was less comfortable than going up. I don't remember I25 or Raton Pass being as bad.

I'm taking my family up I25 next week, coming from Texas. Eventually, we will stop at Moraine Park (RMNP).
Old 07-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
Zebra

That helps! Thank you!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
gearhead

So, are you wanting to just get too Utah, or sightsee along the way to Utah?
I suppose you could avoid Raton Pass and other pulls by going north to Nebraska, then turning west. But you may as well just jump in with both feet.
If you have your built in truck brake controller set right, you shouldn't be squeezing the dashboard brake thing except in near emergencies.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
travelin texans

[QUOTE=Zebra;297202
Normally I drive 4 hrs/300 miles. I’m thinking 300 miles through Colorado May take me longer than I anticipated! Thanks so much for your help![/QUOTE]

If you average 50 mph towing a rv you're making good time & that ciphers to 6 hours, but you'll be in the mountains so in my guesstamation that's 7 to 8 hours to make 300 miles.
Just drive safe, use the tow/haul mode on your truck, if equipped, those that are in a big rush can go around & go enjoy the experience.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
So, are you wanting to just get too Utah, or sightsee along the way to Utah?
I suppose you could avoid Raton Pass and other pulls by going north to Nebraska, then turning west. But you may as well just jump in with both feet.
If you have your built in truck brake controller set right, you shouldn't be squeezing the dashboard brake thing except in near emergencies.
I really do want to see Colorado. I’ll make sure our brakes are set right while we are on flat land in Texas. I watched a video of someone going through Raton Pass. Seemed like a gradual incline throughout. I’m guessing it’s a bigger grade than I’m seeing. I suppose if my weight in my camper is good I just need some courage and downshift. Watch my temps and don’t push the truck.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
We got new LT tires. Brakes checked 3000 miles ago...trailer brakes are new (purchased new unit 9/17). My trailer brakes are “built in” to the truck. This sounds dumb but the squeeze to brake kind. Our sway bars are good and I figure if we can get to the campgrounds off I25 we can unhook and drive without the tow to see the beauty.

May check out moose country. Normally I drive 4 hrs/300 miles. I’m thinking 300 miles through Colorado May take me longer than I anticipated! Thanks so much for your help!

Here's a little link about Walden and North Park if you decide you want to go.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/visit-...-moose-country
Old 07-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I really do want to see Colorado. I’ll make sure our brakes are set right while we are on flat land in Texas. I watched a video of someone going through Raton Pass. Seemed like a gradual incline throughout. I’m guessing it’s a bigger grade than I’m seeing. I suppose if my weight in my camper is good I just need some courage and downshift. Watch my temps and don’t push the truck.
Raton Pass is nothing like it used to be 45-50 years ago. And it is pretty much a long, sustained, pretty gradual grade. I don't think you will have any problem with it unless the tranny wanted to give out and I doubt that since it is a pretty new truck; just use tow haul and watch the revs. Tow haul should keep it from hunting back and forth for gears. If it doesn't select 4 and leave it there until you get off the hill - it will probably kick down to 3...or lower, but it won't keep trying to upshift every time the road flattens for a bit.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
notanlines

Let's jump back to an earlier post. Your trailer brakes are controlled by a system built in by Dodge. As was mentioned the "squeeze to brake" is only for emergencies and to check first thing before a trip. I am not familiar with all of your route, but we have towed on most of it. Texas hill country is only memorable for the brisket and the wild flowers () the hills/mountains remaining on your trip are a little more challenging. Enjoy your trip. People have been pulling heavier with a lot less truck for many years. This will be just like when hooking up in the morning: Don't pay any attention to people who seem to be in a hurry. They should have left earlier. And let us hear from you when you return!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Crossed my mind - 1) CHECK your trailer brakes. Because it is new doesn't mean they are adjusted correctly; mine weren't and I think others have found the same thing. You will want them functioning at 100%. 2) I have not had a 1500 with a brake controller but assume it is like the HD trucks. If so, adjust it per manual with your trailer loaded.

Edit: Zebra, what axle ratio are you running? If you were losing 10-20mph (memory from prior post) in the hill country I'm just wondering - and sounds like you have the tow package.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Lock out your overdrive, keep the truck in 4th and 5th, you'll be fine. If you have an exhaust brake, use it and tow/haul mode. If not downshift your transmission to hold your speed. You'll be fine. Remember your new to it only the first time.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
Steve/

We live in Denver and travel to Texas in the spring. We are towing about 5K with 270 Hp 4runner, If I pulled the right numbers you are about 9k and 380 Hp. You should be ok all over Colorado. Raton Pass is an easy pull, It is not a problem to pull up hills doing 30 or 40 Mph in the right lane, we see it all the time. We have some long down grades that you will want to downshift, you do not want to try to do them with just brakes only. Take your time and you should not have any problems. If you are on a two lane road and you have 5 cars stacked up behind you and there is a good safe pull off you are required by law to pull off and let them pass. If you are around 5 miles of the posted speed limit don't worry about it. Use your best judgement.
You have not said how long of a trip you are taking. If you are going to I 80 through South Wyoming to Utah just because it flatter, I would just take I 70 to Utah. You can spend a lot of time in Colo and Utah without taking the long route through Wy.
In the summer we have a lot of people visiting the state and reservations are needed at lots of Campgrounds.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #16
Zebra

Excellent advice. Seriously, thank you so much.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #17
KimNTerry

I-25 and US 287 are actually very well graded and well behaved roads.

I-25 trails along the front range of the foothills of the Rockies and can be congested in the metropolitan areas of Colorado Springs and Denver. But in general is a pretty easy drive.

287 is a 2 lane road in many places, take your time and if you see traffic backing up behind you use the turn outs.

There is currently construction going on as you go through the west side of Ft Collins, but it's well marked and plenty of room for a trailer.

Other than the metro areas I find Colorado drivers to be quite forgiving towards RVs and large vehicles.

Enjoy your trip and be safe.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
Other than the metro areas I find Colorado drivers to be quite forgiving towards RVs and large vehicles.

Enjoy your trip and be safe.
Yea! As they go around you honking & waving, usually with 1 finger!!!
Maybe it's just Texans?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #19
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yea! As they go around you honking & waving, usually with 1 finger!!!
Maybe it's just Texans?
For some reason, all the Texans go to the Pagosa Springs area and the Californians go to the other areas....at least for hunting.

As others have said, towing around Colorado can be done (we do it all the time), but you have to exercise patience and good judgement. As for the OP's concerns about mountain passes, here is some that I have done and my thoughts on them...
Raton...easy and gradual...I25
La Veta...easy and gradual...Hwy 160
Wolf Creek...steep and curvy, you must downshift. The summit is almost 11,000 feet. It will tax your truck...Hwy 160
Red Mountain...kinda steep, but very narrow road with no shoulder. Great view straight down...Hwy 550
Vail Pass...gradual and generally easy...I70

As long as you control your speed on the downhills, you won't have problems.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #20
HJ Cougar

Hello I don’t think most people read your question thoroughly enough to completely answer your question. You will hit some hilly roads coming through NM and Colorado but they are not real long. As you come through the City of Loveland on 287 you won’t hit any real hills until you pass Owl Canyon Rd then you will hit some ups and downs but nothing real serious. The when you get to the top just past the Colorado Wyoming border it’s all downhill until you reach I-80. Safe travels
HJ Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote