Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
HodgeHouse

5th Wheel Hitch, to slide or not to slide

Greetings all! I'm pretty sure this has been a question that has already been brought up, but we are new to the forum and looking for some advice.

Not new to full time RV-ing or towing a variety of items, but we have upgraded everything from years ago, and looking for some advice on specific vehicle and trailer set-up, to pick the correct hitch.

We have a 2012 3500 Ram, standard short-bed (NOT Ram Box or Mega Cab bed). We just purchased a 2014 Montana Big Sky, 3582RL. Age old question... with the way the nose of that particular trailer is made, do we really need a slider hitch? We'll be driving out of state to pick it up, and I've been waiting to purchase a new hitch, waiting to see what trailer we actually found. So this is a one shot deal.

My usual, retentive, do-it-right the first time, life-long motor-head oriented-self, says to just spend the extra money and buy a slider hitch, for the "just in case" moments... but if I don't need to spend twice as much, and the nose will clear the cab, then I'd rather go with a non-slider.

Any help and advice from the community would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much, Dan & Crystal
HodgeHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Simple way to tell is just ask the seller to measure the distance from the pin to a corner.

Take that measurement, then using the center of your bed, 1” forward of the rear axle, simply hold the tape and rotate.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
bobbecky

It depends on where you are likely to be going. Our truck is a 6 1/2 ft bed, and just backing into our spot in Arizona a couple days ago, we were almost 90 degrees from the trailer and if it wasn't for the Pullrite slider, we would have been kissing the cab. If you always intend to get pull through sites and are extremely careful, you can probably get by without a slider, but for us, I have been very glad we sprung for the slider, and an automatic slider at that.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
tomd

I have the pull rite slider and don't regret it at all. You simply don't have to worry about hitting your truck/trailer during turns and tight backing up manuervers. There are enough other things to worry about, so for a few bucks you save yourself the worry. It was worth it the one time I needed to make U-turn and could concentrate on traffic vs. my truck/trailer interface.
Great product IMHO.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
GHen

We have a Chevy 6.5’ bed and our Jayco is set up for 88degrees. I do not have a slider, and only get to about 80 degrees but never any further. Our son has a Ram with a slider, has never needed it. Biggest issue is his slider is it’s much heavier, he uses a come-along type winch to get it out of his truck. We can just lift our non-slider BM companion out, still heavy, but I can remove it by myself.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 AM   #6
Ranchhand

I have a 2011 Ram 2500 crew cab short box and just recently purchased a 2014 Keystone Cougar and had the same question as you. I went with the non slider hitch for the reason that the automatic sliders are so heavy. I have to be able to change between a gooseneck and a fifth wheel hitch and did not want to have to get a hitch out that ways a couple of hundred pounds. If you do not have to remove the hitch on a regular basis then I would say get a slider. With that be said is a slider a complete must have I say no. When I got mine home I tried mine just to see how far I could turn and I would say that I could get to about 80 degrees on level ground. Is there a chance you could hit the cab with a non sliding hitch yes for sure. For me it was just a weight thing.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:22 AM   #7
HodgeHouse

Thanks all for your prompt feedback. I am going with a B&W Companion, 20K. What I was really curious about, on that particular hitch, since you can mount the riser pieces that the head sits on... offset either forward or aft, if the aft position would help give just enough degrees to the rear, to allow a couple extra inches of cab clearance?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:28 AM   #8
jsb5717

You might consider the Andersen Ultimate Hitch. That's what I use in my short box and it gives you a 5" set back, which helps in the sharp turns. Depending the the 5er cap design it might not give you 90 degrees but it does help. The hitch comes in 2 installation designs for either attaching to a goose neck ball or standard hitch rails and is light and very easy to remove/install (also rated at 20k). Nose design and hitch height are variables that can also allow for tighter turns.

With my previous 5er and the same truck I could easily turn 90 degrees. This new Monatana won't allow that. I haven't figured out my tolerances yet but I know I've got to be more alert in the tight turn.

As always, just pay attention. Having a spotter while parking is also helpful.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #9
tech740

Plus the Andersen is less than 40lbs. I love mine.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #10
mcmeadows1

Peace of mind, whatever that is for the original poster of this thread, is the answer. For some people, saving money is of upmost importance, for others light weight is paramount, and for still others convenience is the highest priority. Nobody but the original poster can say what is most important to them.

For my wife and me, we decided the PullRite SuperGlide was the best choice for us. Our 5th wheel has the two indentations in the front cap to allow for tight turning. However, we felt the added convenience (and safety) of an automatic sliding hitch was worth the extra cost. Furthermore, the SuperGlide is a great hitch, even not factoring in its ability to automatically slide when making turns.

Finally, we are human and make mistakes. Just one moment of inattention while turning the truck and trailer in a very sharp turn, either forward or backwards, could cause more than enough damage to the truck and trailer to cost thousands of dollars of damage to repair, not to mention the interruption or canceling of our travels. Paying an extra $400 to $500 now, for the automatic sliding hitch, was worth the peace of mind of knowing we greatly reduced the possibility of causing inadvertent damage to either our truck and trailer when making sharp turns.
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
drew999999

Just went through the journey you are now on. Purchased a Sprinter 3571FWLFT and couldn't decide if I needed a slider. Tow rig is a 2016 F350 CCSB. Ended up being cautious and went with the B&W Companion sliding hitch. Once I had the rig back home, I did some backing tests and got it turned fairly tight (Probably 70-80 degrees) without sliding and had a few inches of clearance left. I don't think I'd want to go much tighter as it starts twisting the axles on the 5er. Also, backing and not contacting the cab on level ground is one thing, but if turning tight and the trailer drops a bit to the turning side (in an indent or pothole in the camp site) having the slider will save quite a bit in body shop repairs.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
HodgeHouse

Great feedback and different view points from everyone, we sure appreciate it. I went went with the B&W Companion Slider, ordered it this morning. As mcmeadows mentioned above, peace of mind. I have no doubt that I would could use a non-slider hitch, or an Anderson, with no issues, but that one time you might need it... it's worth it. I am also planning to do some U-Ship type of driving when I retire from the military soon, so this will allow me to be able to move a much larger variety of trailers and equipment with my current truck. By the time I move 2 units around for someone, it will have paid for the $500 difference
Old 04-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #13
jsb5717

Congrats on the decision. I've heard a lot of good things about that hitch so I'm sure it will take good care of you.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #14
TN Traveler

Get the slider. If you only use it one time yet save your cab and/or rear window from being damaged...

Congratulations. I believe you'll like that B&W Companion Slider - that is the hitch I use as well
B&W Companion

TN Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
KOZKO

ANDERSEN ULTIMATE all the way - I just love it! It’s EASY and it’s LIGHT! My older brother has had a B&W Companion for years and wants to sell it and buy an Andersen! My driveway is super tight and I’m at almost 90 degrees with ease!

2018 Laredo 340FL
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins Diesel (6’4” bed)
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
B&W Turnoverball
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
KOZKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #16
5J's

The alternative is to get a Reese Goosebox and do away with the 5th wheel. No need to remove or store the 5th wheel.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #17
jsb5717

doesn't adding a gooseneck adapter to a 5th wheel pin void a warranty as it changes the stress point of the tow design.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #18
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Simple way to tell is just ask the seller to measure the distance from the pin to a corner.

Take that measurement, then using the center of your bed, 1” forward of the rear axle, simply hold the tape and rotate.
This assumes level ground at all times. All it takes is one side of the 5th wheel to be elevated and the whole measurement changes.... a lot sometimes. With the 5th at roughly a 90 degree angle (or something approaching that) to the truck, all it takes is the trailer wheel facing rearward to be elevated and it tilts the cap of the 5th right into the truck.

I've seen a bunch of guys on forums with busted back windows that just can't understand how they measured wrong.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
doesn't adding a gooseneck adapter to a 5th wheel pin void a warranty as it changes the stress point of the tow design.

I know that the Reese “Goosebox” doesn’t void the frame warranty from Lippert.

Anderson has a “supplemental warranty” up to $5 million dollars if Lippert voids a claim based on the use of the hitch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #20
5J's

Yep, what chuckster said. Reese is owned by Lippert so that is the only adaptor they'll stand behind. That is why I chose it.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, slide