Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Qwerty

Federal Shutdown

Like many from the northern states, we like to 'snowbird' in Florida. Our usual spot is the Fort Pickens campsite on Santa Rosa Island, Pensacola. It's an Army Corp of Engineers site, therefore federal.

In January during the last shutdown, park rangers told everyone to leave by 4 pm (including the campsite hosts), until the government reopened.

For the period of the shutdown, we traveled to Georgia where my wife's cousin lives. Getting there and back to the campsite added 600 miles to our traveling but others had nowhere to go and so, congregated at the local Walmart parking lot. The sheriff ordered them to leave after just one day.

This turmoil was a huge for hundreds who'd traveled thousands of miles for their retreat in the warmth. And this unnecessary disruption lasted just three days.

Fast forward ten months and here we go again. Thankfully we're not there but my heart bleeds for those who'd made plans for Christmas on the Gulf.

If you were out there on a federal campsite & are now using Walmart WiFi to read this, know than your fellow campers feel your pain and wish you a

Merry Christmas!

Hornet 26RBS
Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Magnum
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Global Driver

Sorry for the chaos.
Maybe our politicians can quit acting like small children and actually work together for what’s best for us American taxpayers! Novel idea huh?!?!

Merry Christmas to all y’all!
Old 12-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Driver View Post
Sorry for the chaos.
Maybe our politicians can quit acting like small children and actually work together for what’s best for us American taxpayers! Novel idea huh?!?!

Merry Christmas to all y’all!
It's Christmas, don't insult small children like that, they've been good all year for Santa, can't say that for those others!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
roadglide

There was some disruptions in quartzsite with volunteer taking dues for BLM services last year . From the information I'm getting it's business as usual in quartzsite this year.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
There was some disruptions in quartzsite with volunteer taking dues for BLM services last year . From the information I'm getting it's business as usual in quartzsite this year.
BLM is on furlough again with the permit takers. Have not been kicking anyone out yet.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Steve/

A few years ago when we were told we would need to leave campground in colorado the ranger pull out a map and showed us where the dispersed camping was as it was not being closed.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
Local150

Very interesting
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
cathcartww

It seems like they always try to eliminate the things that will inconvenience people the most. For instance out at Hatteras Nation Seashore, they are maintaining the rangers that patrol the beach to make sure people have permits, but closed the office that sells the permits. Up until a few years ago, permits weren't even required. It's not tourist season!

I guess they don't want people to find out how many unnecessary employees there really are .....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

It's just me but we are skating on the edge of "politics" in this conversation. My SIL works for the NFS and they have obviously been affected. My thoughts on if it's good, bad etc. and how it affects him aren't really relevant to an RV forum. Most of the last post was OK IMO -generally, but the last comment was probably out of line....whether I agree with it or not.

Not trying to direct, redirect or anything else. I, like most everyone these days, have VERY strong feelings about what is going on in government...good and bad; but, that's for a different place - I'm wondering how the weather is going to be next week for the week I gave to my nephew and his new wife at Emerald Grande in Destin....!!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #10
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's just me but we are skating on the edge of "politics" in this conversation. My SIL works for the NFS and they have obviously been affected. My thoughts on if it's good, bad etc. and how it affects him aren't really relevant to an RV forum. Most of the last post was OK IMO -generally, but the last comment was probably out of line....whether I agree with it or not.

Not trying to direct, redirect or anything else. I, like most everyone these days, have VERY strong feelings about what is going on in government...good and bad; but, that's for a different place - I'm wondering how the weather is going to be next week for the week I gave to my nephew and his new wife at Emerald Grande in Destin....!!!
Once again Danny, I find I'm in furious agreement with you. When I saw this thread, I thought "I'm not going to get into this one. I know the official policy of these fora is no politics and that is as it should be.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #11
Global Driver

Not sure what constitutes political or not per your scale, but what CathCartWW mentioned was a true observation. The permit patrol remains while the permit office remains closed.

Hopefully they come to an agreement and this all ends very soon so everyone who works can get back to work.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #12
labman

All trouble for a snowbird can certainly be avoided during a shutdown. Just reserve a spot in a non government owned campground. if you are driving 1000+ miles to stay in warm weather, doesn't it make sense to pay for a spot to insure you have one for the season? I am all for squeezing everything out of my fixed income dollar but I wouldn't want to jeopardize my winter trip trying to save a buck. I may be wrong about why you would stay at a place with no sewer hookup for any length of time if so I apologize in advance.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
Qwerty

We stay at ACE sites because of the senior half price discount, although Fort Pickens went from $13 to $20 this year.

When you have clean, well maintained bathrooms combined with a portable waste tank, who needs sewage hookup. I've never found it any hassle

Hornet 26RBS
Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Magnum
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a lot of military Fam Camps that have overflow parking without hookups other than electricity. One in particular, the Navy Fam Camp in Key West has more overflow camping sites than full hookup sites. Most (well, many) people prefer the overflow area because it's closer to the water, less noise and offers the same atmosphere as the more expensive FHU sites. Two times we've been there when there was a waiting list for the overflow area and open sites in the FHU area.

If we're staying for less than a week, with two 6 gallon fresh water jugs and a 30 gallon blue tank (exclusively for gray water) we can stay at either the overflow or the FHU areas with no change in lifestyle (other than trips to dump the blue tank rather than pulling a valve handle).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just a moderator note to put everyone at ease or on notice.

1. The last thing we want to do is close a thread. Theres no joy in that.
2. Theres a lot of great information flowing both ways and at least for me, I'm learning quite a bit.
3. So far, things have been civil as people have dealt with the cards they've been dealt. A little upset or disappointment is understandable.
4. The moderators are reading each post and participating in the discussion. If it goes off the rails we'll try to steer it back between the ditches.
5. If the wheels come off, rest assured it will be a short train wreck.
6. As your mom says, dont make me come in there.

Carry on and be civil. It's all good...so far.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
Global Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
6. As your mom says, dont make me co.e in there.
Specially when she calls you your full name!!
Old 12-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #17
fjr vfr

I hope this is not out of bounds, but wouldn't it be great if every time there was a shut down it would shut down all the pay and benefits for the politicians and bureaucrats involved.
Maybe they would work a little harder and quicker to bring it to an end?
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #18
roadglide

It could be miserable if the blm locked the gates for water and dumps
When a million people attending quartzsite jamboree and senator wash .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #19
Happy Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
I hope this is not out of bounds, but wouldn't it be great if every time there was a shut down it would shut down all the pay and benefits for the politicians and bureaucrats involved.
Maybe they would work a little harder and quicker to bring it to an end?
Unfortunately that won't do a lick of good as the majority of them are pretty well off to begin with. How about NO days off until they learn how to play nice together and figure it out?
Old 12-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Just a moderator note to put everyone at ease or on notice.

1. The last thing we want to do is close a thread. Theres no joy in that.
2. Theres a lot of great information flowing both ways and at least for me, I'm learning quite a bit.
3. So far, things have been civil as people have dealt with the cards they've been dealt. A little upset or disappointment is understandable.
4. The moderators are reading each post and participating in the discussion. If it goes off the rails we'll try to steer it back between the ditches.
5. If the wheels come off, rest assured it will be a short train wreck.
6. As your mom says, dont make me co.e in there.

Carry on and be civil. It's all good...so far.

Chip, there is nothing in the previous thread that would warrant closing it IMO. If your comment is about my post about this being political; I commented on one sentence in one post....the OP, I'm sure, never meant it to be political but it was, again, IMO. Nothing has gone sideways since then.

I think, from my participation on this forum for years, that most folks want to be able to voice their opinion about most anything - to the benefit of us all. At times a comment may cross the line of what one of us may view as "political", "religious", etc. - some just go down the road; I mention them - but not to start fights or close threads.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote