Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
mfifield01

Flojet Water Pump Issue

I have been having cycling issues with my water pump, so I opened up the area. What happens is that it cycles on, pressurizes the lines, shuts off, and then comes back on about 10 seconds later. I looked for any water leaks and couldn't find any. What I found is the pump making an air noise. You can hear it gradually go down in pressure. I ordered a new pump yesterday (Prime One-day). Need to fix it tonight, since I leave tomorrow. Anyone else had an issue like this?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Canonman

If when you replace the pump and find the problem still exists, check your low point drains to see if they might be leaking slightly at the caps. Also the water heater relief valve and the outside shower or faucet if you have one. This type of cycling sounds like a slow leak rather than a pump problem to me. I found I had turned off the shower with the shower head valve and not the faucet. Only a slight drip but the pump would cycle when the line lost pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5643.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	17616  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
mfifield01

I will check the low drain points and shower before installing the pump. I have been using the outside shower and sinks to test, so they are getting shut off.

I did find that diaphragm is replaceable on this pump. It could be something that goes bad over time.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Dwood95503

Flojet Water Pump Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I will check the low drain points and shower before installing the pump. I have been using the outside shower and sinks to test, so they are getting shut off.

I did find that diaphragm is replaceable on this pump. It could be something that goes bad over time.

My diaphragm went bad in the pump on my old Scamp. Same symptoms. Easy fix with kit from Amazon.
Dwood95503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

From the description of the pump, it appears that it is drawing water from the FW tank, pumping action is sufficient to pressurize the system and for the pressure switch to activate. At that time, the pump shuts off. All of this is normal action.

Now, the OP reports hearing a "air noise" and says the pump turns on about 10 seconds later. This is not normal.

I'd suppose that the pump diaphragm is leaking, allowing backflow from the pressurized side which will "leak down" the pressure and reactivate the pump pressure switch.

There is no report of any leakage, so I wouldn't suspect a problem with the plumbing beyond the pump. If there was leakage, water would be visible in the area of the leak. This appears to be an "internal leak".

Replacement of the pump head or the entire pump will probably correct the problem. I wouldn't dispose of the old pump, rather I'd buy a replacement pump head repair kit and keep the rebuilt pump as a spare.

That's "insurance" that the new pump will never fail.... At least that's been my experience, when I'm prepared for a problem, it never happens.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
From the description of the pump, it appears that it is drawing water from the FW tank, pumping action is sufficient to pressurize the system and for the pressure switch to activate. At that time, the pump shuts off. All of this is normal action.

Now, the OP reports hearing a "air noise" and says the pump turns on about 10 seconds later. This is not normal.

I'd suppose that the pump diaphragm is leaking, allowing backflow from the pressurized side which will "leak down" the pressure and reactivate the pump pressure switch.

There is no report of any leakage, so I wouldn't suspect a problem with the plumbing beyond the pump. If there was leakage, water would be visible in the area of the leak. This appears to be an "internal leak".

Replacement of the pump head or the entire pump will probably correct the problem. I wouldn't dispose of the old pump, rather I'd buy a replacement pump head repair kit and keep the rebuilt pump as a spare.

That's "insurance" that the new pump will never fail.... At least that's been my experience, when I'm prepared for a problem, it never happens.....
I will probably keep the old pump and fix it. I quickly ordered a new pump before researching issues last night, since I need to install it tonight (free one-day shipping). The diaphragm is about $21 and new pump was $44.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I will probably keep the old pump and fix it. I quickly ordered a new pump before researching issues last night, since I need to install it tonight (free one-day shipping). The diaphragm is about $21 and new pump was $44.
Just keep the parts and rebuild, or just keep the parts. You never know when you will need them. Case in point;

Jan. 2017, sitting in FL, we discovered a leak in the floor. Traced it back to the HWH. Pulled it out and....a seam had developed a tiny hairline crack - 3 yr. old HWH. Bought a new one and installed (about $369?? if I recall). Fast forward to Jan. 2018, sitting in the same space in FL, the HWH quit. Ran it down to the control board. Found one in Valdosta, GA for $223 and went and got it and fixed it. The kicker? When I pulled the first HWH I was pretty miffed that it had developed a crack and had to be replaced when it was so new. Upon pulling my wife asked, "aren't you going to pull those parts off there in case you need them?" (I always scavenge stuff off of discarded things in the event I may need them - which explains bins, boxes and shelves of "stuff" with dust on them "in case" something breaks someday; half of it I don't remember what it is). I was miffed, I told her "NO", this is a brand new water heater, what's the chance of 2 failing this quick?" One year later, with no scavenged control board, I spent $223 and the time and gas for a 5 hour round trip. Should have pulled the part....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
mfifield01

New pump works great. Thanks for Amazon one day shipping.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Canonman

Thanks for the follow up. Glad you got fixed in time for your trip
Safe Travels
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:34 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just keep the parts and rebuild, or just keep the parts. You never know when you will need them. Case in point;

Jan. 2017, sitting in FL, we discovered a leak in the floor. Traced it back to the HWH. Pulled it out and....a seam had developed a tiny hairline crack - 3 yr. old HWH. Bought a new one and installed (about $369?? if I recall). Fast forward to Jan. 2018, sitting in the same space in FL, the HWH quit. Ran it down to the control board. Found one in Valdosta, GA for $223 and went and got it and fixed it. The kicker? When I pulled the first HWH I was pretty miffed that it had developed a crack and had to be replaced when it was so new. Upon pulling my wife asked, "aren't you going to pull those parts off there in case you need them?" (I always scavenge stuff off of discarded things in the event I may need them - which explains bins, boxes and shelves of "stuff" with dust on them "in case" something breaks someday; half of it I don't remember what it is). I was miffed, I told her "NO", this is a brand new water heater, what's the chance of 2 failing this quick?" One year later, with no scavenged control board, I spent $223 and the time and gas for a 5 hour round trip. Should have pulled the part....
Next time you go to that cg request a different site. Just saying!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #11
Tbos

Glad the repair worked. Have a great trip.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump