Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 AM   #21
jsm180

Reese is not owned by Lippert. I thought the same thing but a phone call to Lippert set me straight. They approve the use of the Goose Box but do not manufacture it. A huge plus in my book for the Goose Box.

Horizon Global Corporation owns Reese.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.reeseprod.com/
Old 04-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Reese is NOT owned by Lippert and as far as I know, there is no connection between the two companies.

As for the Andersen "million dollar guarantee". Do a quick search on this forum and you'll find at least one owner with damage that was "attributed to the Andersen hitch" and the company's response: We'll do our internal investigation and let you know if we believe your damage was caused by our hitch. Until then, he always believed that if Keystone/Lippert refused the warranty, the Andersen "guarantee" would cover it. Turns out it's only the beginning and unless their "internal review" approves, you'd best hope you have good insurance to cover damages, otherwise, it's an expensive lesson in reading the fine print buried deep in that "million dollar guarantee"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #23
John&Genny

John: I think I know what post you are referring to, and as I recall, Keystone/LCI “claimed” the crack was caused by the Andersen hitch, when most likely it was caused by a faulty weld in the structure. It was just a way for them to get out of the warranty work. Now, I will agree that Andersen should step up to cover the repairs even if it wasn’t the actual fault of the hitch, but in reality, they are under no obligation to do so.

What I would like to see is Andersen work with LCI and get their hitch certified so this becomes a non-issue.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #24
5J's

Thanks for setting me straight guys. You are absolutely correct a quick net search shows Reese is a Horizon Global brand. When I was in the market I was seriously considering the Anderson hitch. I made a call to Lippert to ask about the use of the Anderson and I was told the Goosebox was the only goose neck they would endorse. I shared that with my dealer who then told me about the Reese/LCI connection. I should've known to question what he said. Just goes to show the ole dealer ain't on top of the game.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #25
jsb5717

Ditto on Andersen. Since the config of the hitch maintains the designed stress point of the 5er I don't see how an Andersen hitch could cause damage any more than any standard 5th wheel hitch. In fact, depending on the standard hitch used, the Andersen would provide less stress since there would be no pin binding at extreme angles.

Manufacturer is just dodging responsibility for faulty build quality given the haste with which many of the coaches are built. One bad day on the line and someone will have a broken weld. Any one can end up with a lemon. I know...that's what I got with my previous rig.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #26
MustBeNice

Not to hijack, but I see the OP has already ordered his B&W Slider.....

So, I have a very similar situation..... 2016 Cougar X-Lite 28DBI & 2015 RAM 3500 CCSB and look for the right hitch. Was thinking the standard B&W Companion for RAM mounts.... and just configuring head uprights to rear-most position. Now after reading this, I'm on the fence (still).

The only difference / adder I have from the OP is that I occasionally "tandem tow", but ~14-15K is just that on either a 20K or 24K rated hitch & 17K rated truck.

So I ask.... Does anyone have experience with the B&W Slider (RVK3670) ? Is it solid in the forward (high speed) locked position? As I always associate moving parts to wear, which = rattles and noise?!

NOTES: I've pulled this same camper with my past truck (a 2009 Chevy 2500HD CCSB w/ rail mounted Reese 15K Pro series hitch) for 3+ years no issue and no slider. Couldn't quite get to 90° (maybe 80+°) when tested on flat ground, but still no issue.

Any & All thoughts would be great.....
MustBeNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #27
drew999999

I have the Ford version of the Companion slider and I’ve had zero play when locked in the forward (towing) position. When hooked the entire rig feels very tight and quiet. No doubt you’d be happy with that hitch.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #28
MustBeNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999999 View Post
I have the Ford version of the Companion slider and I’ve had zero play when locked in the forward (towing) position. When hooked the entire rig feels very tight and quiet. No doubt you’d be happy with that hitch.
Drew, thanks for your input on the companion sliders quality! May I ask how many times or how often you’ve needed or used it in the rear maneuvering position??
Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #29
drew999999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post
Drew, thanks for your input on the companion sliders quality! May I ask how many times or how often you’ve needed or used it in the rear maneuvering position??
So far I haven't needed to use it other than testing to make sure I knew how it worked if needed. When I was going through the decision making process as to whether to get the slider or not, I decided that saving money to go without the slider would cost more in the long run if I ended up needed to switch. I will admit that I was able to get my 5er cut pretty sharp before I got close to the cab, and probably could have gotten really close to a true 90 degree turn. But this was on a perfectly level parking lot. Once I got to looking at it and thinking what would happen if I were on unlevel ground, I definitely see how I could make contact very easily with a less tight turn. For me, the option to slide is worth the extra cost and weight. My FW is a 2019 Sprinter model, so it has a pretty well designed front cap with short beds in mind.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #30
MustBeNice

Thanks for the additional input..... I completely understand the logic of pay a little extra now instead of a lot later. Which makes me lean towards the slider. But it seems like 95% of those with a slider say the only time they’ve used it is to check how it works and the ones that have had issues (read about a u-turn), it wouldn’t have helped anyways. So that makes me lean back towards the standard.... and just adjust it fully back and just watch what I’m doing?!
Old 04-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #31
Randallf

A good rv friend of mine has the same truck and a 35 foot fifthwheel. He did not have a slider hitch and last year we went on a camp trip. Well, guess what? he was driving to the camp site where ther was a sharp turn and he didn't relize how sharp of turn it was . His brand new fifth wheel hit his cab and dented both the rv and his truck
he now owns a slider.
i highly recomend a slider a auto slider
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #32
jim1

We have a 2011 Ram 3500 short box and pull a 2019 Cougar 315 RLS. We had a Reese Sidewinder pin box installed before we picked up the 5vr. It works excellently, and is like having your hitch 2' further back which provides plenty of clearance in all the tight spots. We had a Reese revolution pin box on our previous 5th wheel and no issues for the 6 years we pulled it everywhere. The decision to get a rotating pin box on our new 5th was a no brainer and we don't have to play the slider game every time we back up. Check it out it works with all makes of hitches.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #33
MustBeNice

I'll just put this right here, for update & other's future reference.....

I've finally made my decision on a hitch, placed an order, received, assembled, installed and towed with my new configuration. And the winner is... the B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch; model RVK3600. Which was reached after reading many reviews, forum Q&A's and finally speaking to the friendly folks at B&W.

To recap & consolidate my "application & setup"....

Tow Vehicle: 2015 RAM 3500 Laramie, Crew Cab, Short Box (6.5'), 4x4, Single-Rear-Wheel, w/ Cummins 6.7 I6 & Timbren rear load handlers.

Camper: 2016 Keystone Cougar 28DBI 5th Wheel w/ Lippert king pin box, set in the uppermost mounting position.

Hitch: B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch; model RVK3600 (For the OEM Towing Prep Package / Factory "'Puck' System), set to the lowest (17") and rear most (-4" behind center of rear axle) mounting position.

With this setup & configuration I was easily able to obtain an approximate 80° / 120° maneuvering angle (depending on how your measuring it, via exterior / interior angle). In this position I still had about 4" of cab to camper cap clearance, and likely could have reached nearly a 85° angle with very minimal clearance. Note: I didn't want to push my luck any further as I was riding in the box watching hitch / bed rail and cab / camper clearance, while the wife drove and we communicated through the rear slider window. This was all also observed in an implement dealers overflow gravel parking lot.... that was relatively level.

With that said.... an 80°+ maneuvering angle is more than we've ever needed in any of our camping adventures. Not to mention the stress that an 80-90° turning angle applies to the campers suspension components, frame and tire tread / bead. Not something that is advisable, and is usually avoidable (IMHO).

Now, I'm not advocating that this hitch is the answer to everyone's... Needs, Wants, Application or even Piece of Mind (that an Automatic-Slider would offer. But rather, posting up the results I experienced on a topic that I had many hours of research via product reviews, multiple forum referencing & Q&A's and lastly speaking to the friendly & knowledgeable folks at B&W.

Links to pictures:

The Setup & Clearances @ 80° Turning Angle Link: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...p?albumid=1103

Hitch Setup / Configuration Link:https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...p?albumid=1102
Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #34
notanlines

Matthew, I believe you made a good choice. And even more so, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement concerning a 90 degree back-up. No way a rig needs that stress.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Looks like more than adequate clearance for any situation you'll likely encounter. Many people don't consider that with a travel trailer, you only get 40-45 degrees of backing clearance before the trailer hits the tail lights of the tow vehicle. When we towed TT's, I always was concerned with the stress on axles/wheels at those angles. Now, with the fifth wheel, I get about the same angle capabilities that you get and I really, REALLY cringe when I get even close to that kind of angle when backing the trailer. I honestly don't think I've ever gotten even close to 80 degrees, except when I was trying to see how far I could get before hitting the truck. In normal use, after all those years of towing TT's, I might get to 40 degrees before I pull forward to get the stress off the wheels. I can't imagine "cranking it around" to maximum angles just to keep on going backwards... Pulling forward a couple of feet to straighten out the angle just seems like common sense to me as opposed to increasing the angle and the potential for damage to the axles/wheels.

I've never been in any location where I wished for a sliding hitch, not to say others might not feel the same as me. Anyway, it looks like you've got your hitch problems well in hand and should be set for many years of problem free towing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 AM   #36
craiggemt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post
I'll just put this right here, for update & other's future reference.....

I've finally made my decision on a hitch, placed an order, received, assembled, installed and towed with my new configuration. And the winner is... the B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch; model RVK3600. Which was reached after reading many reviews, forum Q&A's and finally speaking to the friendly folks at B&W.

To recap & consolidate my "application & setup"....

Tow Vehicle: 2015 RAM 3500 Laramie, Crew Cab, Short Box (6.5'), 4x4, Single-Rear-Wheel, w/ Cummins 6.7 I6 & Timbren rear load handlers.

I had a similar setup ('16 Ram 2500) with the same hitch. I can tell you from experience, that one time you get distracted for whatever reason and don't pay attention while turning... BOOM! Yep sounds like a shotgun blast when the cab creases ever so slightly and the rear window pops!

Needless to say I'm installing a Demco auto slider. Manual slider would have done me no good in that situation. I wasn't a big fan of the king pin behind the axle but the truck handled great.
craiggemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #37
MustBeNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggemt View Post
I had a similar setup ('16 Ram 2500) with the same hitch. I can tell you from experience, that one time you get distracted for whatever reason and don't pay attention while turning... BOOM! Yep sounds like a shotgun blast when the cab creases ever so slightly and the rear window pops!

Needless to say I'm installing a Demco auto slider. Manual slider would have done me no good in that situation. I wasn't a big fan of the king pin behind the axle but the truck handled great.
I can't argue about distracted driving or lack of situational awareness (as it simply "just happens")..... But the following was my reasoning and thought process when selecting the hitch I did (All of course being "my personal opinions vs. application vs. needs vs. wants vs. budget"):

1) A fixed position OEM style hitch (like the Curt/RAM Q20/Q25 -or- Reese 20K) didn't appear to offer the most flexibility/adjustment and max turning radius as the B&W's (adjustable) fixed option, so they were out.
2) A "Manual Slider" of any brand would not help unless it was actually deployed and only useful in a deployable situation, so it was out.
3) The B&W was designed & tested to work in all the (adjustable)configurations for my truck as an OEM style product.
4) A fixed B&W in the aft-most (adjustable) position appeared to be the better solution for maximum turning clearance.
5) An "Auto Slider" of the weight rating (20K+, for piece of mind) I wanted was beyond the price point I was willing to pay for a hitch in general, needless of it's functionality... period.
6) Wasn't sure if the "J" style movement and the campers pin box / trucks bedside may have issues.... as this X-Lite is one LOW trailer?!
7) From what I read and watched, it sounded like the Auto-Sliders required daily maintenance and frequent adjustment, no thanks. (Not sure if this is True or Not?)
8) And one of the bigger one's that plays into 'piece of mind'..... Wasn't sure if an Auto-Slider would handle or need adjustment every time I pull tandem trailers (doubles). Which is about every other to every third outing.
9) Travel Trailers / Bumper Tow's can only articulate +/- of 45-50° max, so I figured I'd be good and safe at 75-85°.
10) Plus the Running gear stress at 80°+.

So, upon other's (and wiser & experienced) better judgement, I guess we'll be rolling the dice..... until "it" happens! Wish me luck..... or maybe that's what insurance is for?!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #38
notanlines

JustBeNice, "7) From what I read and watched, it sounded like the Auto-Sliders required daily maintenance and frequent adjustment" Just so new members know, nothing could be farther from the truth. That info you were told is bogus as a football bat. Remember, very few people triple tow more than Brenda and I. We are at the end of our third year with ours and I have yet to do anything but spray a little lube. And I use Lubriplate in a spray can only because a friend used to distribute it. And, since I've crawled all the way up on this box, I no longer use a nylon plate between the fifth wheel and the pin because it didn't fit (slightly too thick). Keep in mind that I think you made a reasonable choice for your situation. I'm done here.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #39
MustBeNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Just so new members know, nothing could be farther from the truth. That info you were told is bogus as a football bat. Remember, very few people triple tow more than Brenda and I. We are at the end of our third year with ours and I have yet to do anything but spray a little lube.
That is great information for all to know! Although I'm not sure that it would have swayed my thought process too much.

But I saw it on the internet.... So it must be true?

Old 05-08-2019, 12:31 AM   #40
Big1

I went with the slider it's just a peace of mind, and even though I did use it twice but it was only because I was trying it out.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, slide