Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Almost home to W TX....Ugh!

Left FL on Monday headed home to W TX. Spent the last 5 months there and we enjoy it....especially the grandgirls; and seafood. Told DW yesterday as we left LA that we would be heading into TX, it's "that time of year" and we would have some crappy weather (wind).

Came through TX from LA, hit Dallas/Ft. Worth and then Weatherford. AS SOON as we turned W on I20 headed home the sun left the sky and the wind picked up. I knew because you could hear it in the cab and it was whipping the trailer and truck (and no, you would not want to deal with it with a 1/2 ton and large trailer I promise). All the way to Abilene it was doing its thing; wind of 30 constant, gusts to 40. Got here to Abilene and it's like old home week; can't keep a hat on your head, your shirt blows up over your head, dirt is flying every direction...and now, at bed time, we'll sleep like babies because the trailer is being bounced around all over the place. I did however eat a very large chicken fried steak to help hold down the place weight wise.

Ahhh, the joys of W TX; and the folks in FL think the wind is blowing if it gets over 5 mph!!

Wishing everyone fun and safe travels. Be prepared if you come thru this part of the country this time of year.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

You're right Danny, that pesky 5 mph breeze makes my coffee cool too fast every morning.
Glad you had a safe trip, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
busterbrown

We were just south of Amarillo about 10 days ago enroute to Hereford when we crossed paths with a vicious cold front that was producing tornado warnings left and right on our cell phones as we were driving. Our eyes were glued to our weather radar apps as the wind started knocking and hail began to fall. We took shelter under an overpass as many others did too. Finally got to a Walmart parking lot to overnight and saw the golf ball sized hail on the ground. Could see dents in quite a few cars in the parking lot. That overpass saved us from another setback on our southwest vacation. Couldn't believe how quickly the weather changed in Northwest Tx. Unbelievable!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
gearhead

Wind has been ripping down here near the coast as well. Can't fish.
I can only imagine what it's doing in west Texas.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
bobbecky

We are in Midland right now, and last night a series of storm cells came through, and other than a few showers and wind, and lightning and thunder, we did fine. North of us where some relatives live near Gardendale, there was reported golf ball sized hail, but mostly 1/4" hail everywhere else.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
BamaRam

I went through WTexas a couple weeks ago. My rig got battered like a peice of catfish. First a blowing rain and then a dust storm. Had a coat of crud stuck on everything.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Yep, we came in and usually spend several days cleaning up the trailer with it sitting in our property next door. Last night was the 2nd night in and I saw the clouds coming and thunder. Didn't look bad and we really love rain showers in this desert country. Started raining, smelled so good but then came the hail. Thankfully nothing over a nickel size.

Talked to DD this morning and visited about the wonderful smell you get in the SW after a rain...something that just doesn't happen in FL. She misses it and is planning a 3 wk trip through TX (San Antonio area), N to us here in W TX, over to SE NM; Carlsbad then the Guadalupe mtns., across a forest service road between the Guadalupes and Sacramentos then to our house in Cloudcroft NM and White Sands. From there to Pagosa Springs CO to stay in some condos we've stayed with her and the Ggirls forever. In between she wants to hit La Posta restaurant in Las Cruces.....and then, I can't recall. Wish I was going with her but have about a thousand irons in the fire since we're back.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
I went through WTexas a couple weeks ago. My rig got battered like a peice of catfish. First a blowing rain and then a dust storm. Had a coat of crud stuck on everything.
Ha! In most places a rain can be a "cleansing/cleaning" rain. Out here, it's just a mud storm and you will need to wash your vehicle right after if you leave it out. I think I probably keep the local car wash in business.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:09 AM   #9
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
She misses it and is planning a 3 wk trip through TX (San Antonio area), N to us here in W TX, over to SE NM; Carlsbad then the Guadalupe mtns., across a forest service road between the Guadalupes and Sacramentos then to our house in Cloudcroft NM and White Sands. From there to Pagosa Springs CO to stay in some condos we've stayed with her and the Ggirls forever. In between she wants to hit La Posta restaurant in Las Cruces.....and then, I can't recall. Wish I was going with her but have about a thousand irons in the fire since we're back.
We were at Carlsbad and Roswell in March and now in Ruidoso until the end of the month. It’s our first trip to NM and we are enjoying it tremendously.

In May we are headed to Lake George CO to start a house.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
We were at Carlsbad and Roswell in March and now in Ruidoso until the end of the month. It’s our first trip to NM and we are enjoying it tremendously.

In May we are headed to Lake George CO to start a house.
When we were young we always went to Ruidoso and then on up to Bonito Lake. It became so "busy" that we decided to buy a house in Cloudcroft instead - much more laid back and quiet. If you have some time to kill take the road to Cloudcroft (70 to 244) then take 130 toward Sunspot, turn R on 6563 (scenic byway - which is toward our house) and stop at the scenic view about 1 1/2 miles down the road. Total it would be about 44 miles to CC then about 3 1/2 to the overlook.

When you get back to CC stop by Dave's Cafe downtown or Big Daddy's for a bite. If you want, you can take the highway back thru town and down to Alamogordo. You go from alpine heights to desert in about 16 miles and it has tremendous views of the desert, White Sands and Organ Mts. by Las Cruces. Lots of folks stop and take pictures outside the tunnel. At Alamo you can go to White Sands if you haven't, poke around if you want (not much there) or take 70 back to Ruidoso through Mescalero on the Apache reservation. Hope you're having fun. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
BamaRam

It’s not too busy here at the moment. Our CG is on Eagle Creek in Alto. Nice and quiet. Elk and wild horses are abundant. We are mostly resting and killing time until our CG opens in CO. So we will eventually take in all the sights before we move north. Thanks for the suggestion!