Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2023, 05:32 AM   #1
sehelus

Copper Canyon Electrical Issues

Hello!
I am very new to campers, and have zero experience with anything electrical.
I recently moved into a camper behind my parents' shop, and I've been having all sorts of issues since. I have a 2011 Copper Canyon 5th wheel. The biggest problem I'm having is that a fuse will light red (not blow), causing my furnace to not work and the refrigerator to stop working as well. The battery is 100% charged, and we are plugged up to power. The propane tank is also full. Is there any way that you can run the camper without the battery? Or make the furnace/refrigerator run off of residential power? I'm at a loss and it is not fun freezing in the night, especially with two babies.
sehelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:55 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Have you replaced the fuse? Sometimes they can look/test good but be faulty. Have you checked the fuse placement? They can be inserted and miss the little ears they're supposed to insert into. This can cause intermittent faults and that red light (btdt).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:00 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

How old are the battery(s)? Sounds like it could be a low voltage issue. Checking the battery with the built in meter will only indicate what voltage the converter is charging at. I would remove the battery and have it load tested at an automatic store.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Is your camper 30A or 50A? You are plugged into shore power. What type outlet and who installed it? Are you using a electrical management system (EMS) that ensure bad shore power will not harm your electronics? My guess is that you are not following my questions but they must be answered if you are full timing. You may be having battery issues or battery charging issues but the source of your shore power must be verified first.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 05:03 PM   #5
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

You got my attention when you mentioned the fuse glows red but it is not blown?

Generally speaking, a glow fuse does just that. Are you absolutely certain the fuse is not blown? Is the fuse of proper size for the job?

Also your refrigerator, might it be an RV refrigerator that operates both electric and propane. The propane may allow you to keep the 'fridge operating.

Do have your battery(s) "load tested as previously mentioned. An idle dead battery can show 12 plus volts at no load.

Hope you can get some positive results. Cold weather and RVs do not mix well without that furnace.
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Apparently the OP joined the forum, made this post and has not returned. Hopefully she will return and share some more info.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 05:41 PM   #7
bobbecky

I'm pretty sure the red light he is seeing is the Red LED in the fuse part of the panel. There will be a red LED next to each fuse, and when a fuse blows, the LED will be lit to indicate which one has blown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel fuses.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	45608  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I'm pretty sure the red light he is seeing is the Red LED in the fuse part of the panel. There will be a red LED next to each fuse, and when a fuse blows, the LED will be lit to indicate which one has blown.

As I mentioned to OP those fuses, if inserted improperly and not having proper connections because the insertion missed the "tension" part of the connector can lead to the red light and the fuse not being at fault. OP needs to assess the fuse and proper placement.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical