Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2023, 07:19 AM   #1
Joe 5th wheel

Electrical issue

I’m plugged in to the 50amp campground but my 120 won’t work unless the sun is out and charging my batteries. I don’t want that, I just want everything to work while I’m plugged into the campground. Am I doing something wrong with the inverter? Everything looks good, no breaker issues….this is driving me nuts! Any advice would be great! And should I call out an electrician?
Joe 5th wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:28 AM   #2
Texas Steve

There are 2 different voltages at work here, AC voltage and DC voltage. AC voltage will run things like air conditioner, microwave, and outlets. DC voltage will run lights, water pump, radio... Turn off your inverter and turn on the battery disconnect (red handle wont come out) and see if anything is working. Is the main breaker on at the pedestal where you plug in the power cord?

You can call the office at the campground you are in to see if the maintenance guy will check the pedestal for power if you don't know how to check it.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:32 AM   #3
notanlines

Joe, six weeks ago you had similar problems. How did you resolve those?
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:57 PM   #4
Ramtop

Make sure that you actually flip all the breakers off and on, don’t just look at them to see if they are tripped. A lot of times it is hard to see if a breaker is actually tripped out.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:28 PM   #5
Joe 5th wheel

@ Notanlines - Still not fixed. I'm having a guy come out to look at it. But it seems the batteries are not charging off of shore power, only Solar. So it's gotta be something with the inverter. I'll check back when I get it fixed.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #6
LHaven

My first impression is that you have some sort of transfer switch in the system that is currently set to accept solar and ignore shore power (or is doing that because it's somehow broken). I'd check for that first.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
Joe 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
There are 2 different voltages at work here, AC voltage and DC voltage. AC voltage will run things like air conditioner, microwave, and outlets. DC voltage will run lights, water pump, radio... Turn off your inverter and turn on the battery disconnect (red handle wont come out) and see if anything is working. Is the main breaker on at the pedestal where you plug in the power cord?

You can call the office at the campground you are in to see if the maintenance guy will check the pedestal for power if you don't know how to check it.

Thanks so much for this, there was a bad breaker switch that I had to replace "Convert" is the label. But now I'm getting an E01 error code on the inverter control panel. Something is stopping the shore power from charging my batteries, but not stopping the solar from charging them. UGH!!!
Old 09-27-2023, 01:00 PM   #8
Joe 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
My first impression is that you have some sort of transfer switch in the system that is currently set to accept solar and ignore shore power (or is doing that because it's somehow broken). I'd check for that first.

YES!!!!! But where is the damn transfer switch! LOL!! I'm actually going to have to pay a guy to come out and see what's up. The Inverter is showing an E01 code which means no battery access. I'll be looking for that Transfer switch in the meantime.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:53 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Was reading this again and had a thought;

You can't find the xfer switch? Is it internal in the inverter? Some have the xfer switch in them. If so is the inverter wired wrong? You have 2 inputs into it and it sounds like yours may have the 120vac and battery reversed???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical