Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
DrHolliday

Odd brake controller issue, truck or trailer?

Not sure what section to put this in, but I was towing when it happened.

I have a 2015 Chevy Duramax with integrated brake controller, and a Fuzion 371 toyhauler.

On our first outing I slide my hitch to the maneuver position to get out of my driveway. When I did it my break away cable got pinched and pulled out the break away pin. I stopped and fixed it, had to disconnect the truck and shut it off for a minute to reset the brake controller. All was good until the drive home. I had my truck tell me *ding ding ding* check trailer wiring followed by it immediately saying trailer connected. I though it was odd, but it only did it once.

My second trip out I towed 550 miles from Ohio to Vermont. The truck started to give me the check trailer wiring message on any incline but would immediately reconnect again. As I got closer to Vermont it would ding and not reconnect quickly. When it would do it I still had lights, but no trailer brakes.

When I go to my destination I had to very sharp turns and it was dark. I had the same issue where the breakaway pin was pulled twice locking up the trailer brakes. I fixed it and reset it twice and finally parked the trailer. (long day 13 hours towing with 2 young kids).

I checked all wiring on the truck and trailer and visually didn't see anything wrong.

Hooked up for the trip home same 550 mile drive. Didn't have one issue. Everything worked flawlessly.

I'm curious what the issue could be and would like to check it out. I'm leaning towards the issue was in the breakaway switch. When it was tripped the first time it wasn't reset fully and would intermittently disconnect. Then having it get pulled and put back in 2 more times corrected it without me knowing.

What should I look into and test to prevent it from happening in the future?

Thank you
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote