Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Danny: that may a bit harsh on some of us techs
While I am not going to defend or argue that what you say may well be the norm in the Larger high volume dealerships, It definitely doesn't apply to all of us.

OP: do your due diligence BEFORE you commit to a purchase and that includes a trip to the service side, look around and ask questions.

Danny: finding and keeping a decent tech is like pulling hens teeth. The pay is lousy and if your unlucky enough to work in a flat rate shop, your quality is going to suffer to make book times, BTDT.

I know your post wasn't directed at me, and I take NO OFFENSE to it as you speak more truth than fiction. Stay dry and warm, its pouring here.

Chuck, No sir! Not directed at you at all nor any good tech out there. Just an observation that helps me keep my sanity.

When I mentioned the SM saying he had just few with 5 years or more, those are the seasoned guys and for the most part they try to do what's required for a good job. In fact, I imagine my experience would be one you can relate to; at my dealership there is one tech I know, their lead tech. I ask for him all the time but can't always get him especially if he is already in the middle of a big job. They have in the past pulled him off if I was making a stink but I don't do that much anymore.

The things I talked about above were more some thoughts for those that may be going who knows where for service/warranty work and have those "high" expectations when the reality in many, if not most, places is the high turnover and the new guy trying to repair something he has never seen (was actually taken to look at a new 5vr that was in make ready after being sold and a young man was trying to work on the door.....using a Phillips head in his drill having trouble not knowing anything about Robertson heads until I told him). I am sure you are like the lead tech I know and have folks trying to direct their repairs to you because they know you will take care of them and do the job right. I can tell that from your posts, so no, please don't take offense to anything I said - just trying to impart a little reality to some that might not have been down that road yet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Danny: that may a bit harsh on some of us techs
While I am not going to defend or argue that what you say may well be the norm in the Larger high volume dealerships, It definitely doesn't apply to all of us.

OP: do your due diligence BEFORE you commit to a purchase and that includes a trip to the service side, look around and ask questions.

Danny: finding and keeping a decent tech is like pulling hens teeth. The pay is lousy and if your unlucky enough to work in a flat rate shop, your quality is going to suffer to make book times, BTDT.

I know your post wasn't directed at me, and I take NO OFFENSE to it as you speak more truth than fiction. Stay dry and warm, its pouring here.
Absolutely not directed to you, you've been help to countless folks on here & probably more than you'll ever know.
But as the other Danny mentioned when taking to service shops you'll catch more flies with honey. Even then you may be repairing something that had nothing to do with what you took in for to begin with.
As several of us have stated numerous times, if you're not somewhat of a handyman owning a RV can be a royal PITA if waiting on every little item to be repaired by someone else.
My 1st RV was bought at a CW, that's when I decided if it was something I could fix I wouldn't take it back to their service department again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s all good and I appreciate the votes of confidence. I have worked with some excellent techs and some that shouldn’t even hold a tool.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #24
CaptnJohn

I’ve bought my last 4 from CW, all 5ers. I know the sales mgr, both parts guys, and have a service writer that gets me in and out quickly, most often while I wait. Two techs know me by name and are the only ones that work on my rig. There are some things my mobile guy cannot do. CW does great work for me.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #25
LeeB43

I have a 2019 315 RLS. I bought it primarily because it had washer dryer set up already. That was a big deal for me. Overall, I like it a lot but it doesn’t have much basement space. The thing that I would be really happy to get Would be the pocket door on the bathroom. I have the one that turns halfway in and halfway out and it’s a pain in the patootie. The only other thing I can think of that I don’t care for is the gray tank discharge valve for the sink in the island. Mine is way underneath and I have to get down on my hands and knees in order to open it and close it.

Good luck ingetting a better deAl on the 2020.

IMHO, I would go with the 2020 even if they were virtually the same. It is one year newer so will have a higher value for whenever you do with it.

2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS
2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 Short Bed
2019 Keystone Bullet UltraLite 220RBIwe (traded)
2018 GMC Canyon Denali CrewCab 4x4 Short Bed (traded)
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 220RBSL (traded)
LeeB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #26
Preyou

Bought a 2019 315RLS in October 2018. Hurricane Michael destroyed it 4 days later. Got a replacement in Jan 2019. I used a local dealer and feel local is better. I had purchased one earlier from CW but was not satisfied with the service. Some issues we had with the 315RLS
-shower not sealed around edges
-even when level, doors stick or don't close
-after several months and trips, a bolt began to protrude up through the floor
-trim around main door deteriorated
-Steps catching on door frame
-Leaks around signal lights
-Refrigerator light fell out
-Antenna blew off on the road
-Cannot open refrigerator with slide in. The door catches on the island with approximately 1/4" interference. Told it is by design. Also told it is due to difference between metric design and imperial manufacturing

All except the refrigerator door issue have been corrected but requires trips to the dealership and some hassle. I feel all of this is due to poor quality control and the manufacturing facility. I hear their turnover is high and they pay as little as possible.

This was my first 5er and I wish they had offered an operating class. I did a lot of guessing and cussing
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #27
LeeB43

I have a slideright 18K hitch in my short bed Ford and it is terrific. I can turn more than 90°, Plus when I’m not hooked up, the hitch will turn 90° so that the locking arm is not out to the side but toward the rear which allows you to get by and move around in the bed much easier

Old 12-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #28
LeeB43

CW in summerfield Florida has been likewise for me. I have purchased 2 bumper pulls and a fifth wheel from them and I’ve had great service. I have no complaints about them at all.

Incidentally, I too had my batwing antenna blow off as I was driving about 55 mph. As I recall, there are three or four screws that attach the antenna to the roof, mine had only one attached. No issues on having a replacement installed

Old 12-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #29
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
Going to take a look at the 315RLS tomorrow. If it follows us home it will be our 1st ever RV. Any thoughts?

Also, we have a choice between:

1. A new 2019 advertised for $44,995 468 miles from home. No extra fees beyond the travel permit to bring it home to Oregon. The dealer says they have a nationwide lifetime warranty on mechanical things included, or

2. A new 2020 advertised for $49,888 103 miles away. This dealer says they include going through it, some credit towards hoses, etc, and a class on operating it. No additional fees beyond registration and tax. I think he has some room in his price.... Thinking maybe around $48000.

Is a 2020 worth $3k more than a 2019?
I use 38% discount off MSRP when shopping and did buy at that price for a factory ordered unit.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #30
Jacketsbum

Take a look at the 338RLK before you make a decision. It’s more camper with more features but about the same size. I have a 2018 that I bought in Michigan for 42k
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacketsbum View Post
Take a look at the 338RLK before you make a decision. It’s more camper with more features but about the same size. I have a 2018 that I bought in Michigan for 42k
The 338RLK is listed on the Keystone website as "stock only" which means it is no longer in production and is a discontinued floorplan.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #32
Jacketsbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The 338RLK is listed on the Keystone website as "stock only" which means it is no longer in production and is a discontinued floorplan.
Well if one could be found, might be a good deal
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #33
wiredgeorge

Comment on good/bad techs... EVERY shop; motorcycle, truck, auto, RV, generally has one or perhaps two top rate techs. The rest are not top rate and range from decent to... well to poor. The good ones tend to follow the money or are lifers at a particular shop. Many top techs i know have been lured by some other shop in need of a top guy by more money and these shops tend to have really high shop rates and parts cost a bunch..
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #34
Cire8002

315rls

Quote:
Going to take a look at the 315RLS tomorrow. If it follows us home it will be our 1st ever RV. Any thoughts?

1. A new 2019 advertised for $44,995 468 miles from home. No extra fees beyond the travel permit to bring it home to Oregon. The dealer says they have a nationwide lifetime warranty on mechanical things included, or

2. A new 2020 advertised for $49,888 103 miles away. This dealer says they include going through it, some credit towards hoses, etc, and a class on operating it. No additional fees beyond registration and tax. I think he has some room in his price.... Thinking maybe around $48000.

2020 has solar and the 2019 has solar connection. We love our 315RLS but she's not a cold weather girl. The slide outs are thinly insulated and when the wind blows you can feel the cold air. As far as warranty goes were more then 100 miles from the dealer that we purchased it from and they have other locations but they also have a 12 week waiting list on repairs. HW Dallas price matched CW Florida and we got ours for 34,500 in Aug this year. We live in ours full time and if its something that I can fix, trust me I'm fixing it. These things are put together cheap and quick as possible. I've had to reattach crown molding above the dinning slid out, grab handle going to the upstars not an easy task because there is no stud half way in the foam wall. PEX fittings under the kitchen island. Would I change my mind and get something else... Maybe the 2020 but I'm going to do my own solar project. Just make sure you can fix the small things yourself without having to take it in and be without your rig.
2006 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
Cire8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #35
sonofcy

Quote:

Those prices look about $10k high. Don't know what that nationwide warranty is but it sure isn't on the RV. I would recommend a lot of research.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:34 AM   #36
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm on a 2-3 different forums & you have to be the 1st on any of them to recommend CW for any type of service work, warranty or otherwise. Most suggest avoiding them like the plague. They are highly recommended for the sales department, but no one ever recommends the service department & from my experience would have to agree.
Oh, I was just talking about just in a pinch if you just had to get it fix.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar