Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #41
jsb5717

Thanks, all...good to know. Learn something new every day
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #42
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
If I wanted to replace the OEM bearings with "good" ones, where does one go to find them?
The best source would be an industrial supply house, if you can find one that will sell retail.
A very good auto supply would work too.
I think Dexter axle has their axle components online. From there you could use Amazon. You could also get the info off the paper tag on the axle and call Dexter.
Be careful as I found Dexter changed the seal dimensions on 5200# axles a few years ago.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #43
CWtheMan

etrailer has them in kits or bits & pieces for all trailer axle sizes.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...-Bearings.aspx
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #44
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I just called the axle manufacturer (Lippert) with the axle tag info to identify the hub parts on my Passport. He provided Timken numbers for all the parts. I asked him about that, and he assured me the bearings on my axles are Timken.
If your RV came from the factory with Timken bearings it will the 1st one to ever have rolled out the door that way. Ask if he has ocean front property in Arizona for sale also!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #45
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If your RV came from the factory with Timken bearings it will the 1st one to ever have rolled out the door that way. Ask if he has ocean front property in Arizona for sale also!
Now, now, don't be silly. Of course there's no "ocean front" but there is a "Unicorn farm" out back.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't (and won't) state that TODAY'S Lippert axles do or do not come with Timken bearings. I can say, with absolute knowledge that my Lippert axles (2014 Cougar) came with "no name bearings stamped CHINA".... I am not aware of any Timken bearings that are sold without the Timken brand etched on the bearing face. So……. Where's that Unicorn Farm ????? I gotta say, it must be real if Lippert axles come with Timken bearings.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #47
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I had a choice when I had my IS installed, went with Timken.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #48
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Well, I just ordered seals, and haven't opened the hubs yet to see. whose bearings they are.
However, trying to find parts made in the US is getting difficult and still doesn't guarantee quality parts.

BMW even has parts, drivetrains, and complete vehicles manufactured in China. The difference is in the quality control.
I try to buy from a reputable manufacturer like Spicer, SKS, Timken, National, and so on with little regard to the country.
The good manufacturers have good reputations.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #49
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Well Trump is working on it.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Well Trump is working on it.

Politics, politics, politics.... Seems these days the slightest hint of a political comment can result in "who knows what" for a response. American made vs..... is a good place to keep that conversation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #51
trucker LOU

Hey all, I don't know about Ocean Front property in Arizona but there is A Yacht Club in Quartzsite---------
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #52
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker LOU View Post
Hey all, I don't know about Ocean Front property in Arizona but there is A Yacht Club in Quartzsite---------
So silly us!
Then that proves it, they put Timken bearings in all Keystone RVs!!!

But don't bet the farm on it!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #53
Rowland

We had the zerks removed

We had the zerk systems removed and standard caps installed after a long chat with our service person. He stated it is way to easy to put to much grease into the zerks and do what others have explained by getting grease onto your brakes or worse. Why take a chance.

Rowland
Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #54
Joe2650BH

Spindle nut retainer

Hello, i have a dexter D35 axle with EZ Lube hubs. I am looking to repack the wheel bearings and inspect the brakes after reading this post. I know I will need new seals but what about Spindle Nut retainer (part 006 190 00). Doesn’t look like it has the normal castle nut and cotter pin.
thank you!
Joe
Joe2650BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #55
RickReichert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
We've got a 2019 Passport. We've put about 5000 miles on it.
I was looking at the Lippert axle manual that came with it, and it recommended bearing service every 1 year 12000 miles.

I tend to be a "maintenance nerd" when it comes to this stuff, and always do my own. Also, the manual has very good instructions with photos.

My question is, is it really due for this maintenance already?
I have a local RV repair shop repack the wheel bearings on my small 5th wheel TT every 10,000 miles or so. For me this about every other year. However, on a recent trip to Alaska the right rear wheel bearing failed, and the brakes caught on fire. Fortunately I was able to get the fire put out before anything else caught. Unfortunately the hub had failed - it broke at the outer bearing location. I carry spare bearings, races and seals, but I need the entire brake drum, brakes, magnet, etc. I was able to get to an RV parts dealer in Anchorage just before they closed at noon on a Saturday and buy all of the parts needed. The spindle was gouged but seemed serviceable, so I rebuilt that wheel on the side of the road. At that point the bearings had about 8,000 miles on them since last repacking.

I've now added a new routing maintenance item to my list. Every 1,000 miles I jack up each wheel, rotate the tire and listen for any unusual noises, and check the bearing play.

I no longer trust the spindle that had the fire and was gouged, so two new axles have been ordered and are being installed soon. I plan to check them every 1,000 miles, and repack them once a year.
RickReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #56
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2650BH View Post
Hello, i have a dexter D35 axle with EZ Lube hubs. I am looking to repack the wheel bearings and inspect the brakes after reading this post. I know I will need new seals but what about Spindle Nut retainer (part 006 190 00). Doesn’t look like it has the normal castle nut and cotter pin.
thank you!
Joe
The retainer can be reused. Just pop it off carefully and when you put it back on make sure it is snapped into place securely.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #57
Joe2650BH

Thank you for the quick reply!
Joe2650BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #58
Terryj

wheel bearing and brakes

I am an auto mechanic that has been in the business over 45 years. I also hold a license to inspect cars, trucks, motorcycles, motorhomes, trailers over 10,000 lbs and semi tractors and trailers.

Any time I get a trailer, new or used, the first thing that happens is the wheels come off, the brakes are inspected, the bearings are inspected and greased with a good quality wheel bearing grease, then everything is reassembled without the zerk fitting in the axle. I do not want to trust anyone else on something as critical as wheel bearings and to establish a base line.

I have seen new and used trailers with minimal grease, damaged seals, improperly assembled brakes ( including brake assemblies on the wrong side and 1 that had 2 right hand brake assemblies on the same axle)

As far as repacking every year on a trailer that goes 2000 miles a year, I will not be doing it. As far as checking the brakes everytime I stop for fuel or the end of a day I carefully stick a finger on the brake drums. They should all be close to the same temp. That does take a bit of experience to tell the difference from normal heat from driving and heat from braking.

My trailers that see few miles a year get a jack up and wheel spin to check for noise or looseness. And a repack if I notice a problem or every 3-4 years.

My motorcycle camper trailer which goes about 10,000 miles a year with 8 inch wheels gets a repack and inspect every year and a wheel spin before, during and after a trip. Current trailer has over 80,000 miles on the original wheel bearings. Previous trailer had 150,000 with one bearing change. That was a 'just because' change, not a bearing failure.

Other trailers every 20,000 miles get a repack and they also get a wheel spin between repacks as I see fit.

Not telling anyone what to do here, just stating what I do that has worked for me.

I also suggest using a high quality wheel bearing grease, not a multipurpose grease. Also do not cheap out on seals, they are what keeps water, road debris and brake dust out of the grease/bearings. Insure the dust cap seals well with no dents in the sealing surface.
Terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #59
duh1

I do ours every year and typically clocking about 7000 miles and have never had any regrets.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #60
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Does anybody make a conversion for oiled bearings? Then all we'd have to do is check the oil.

Tags
maintenance