Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2017, 02:03 AM   #1
mattmountz94

Fuzion 420

Tell me the good and bad. Would you buy again?

Looking into getting an 18
mattmountz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
curtthegreat

We love our 420, have had no real bad issues with it, mostly just working out the bugs, we've been lucky. The good is, they're cool. When you pull in to a campsite be prepared for the gawkers, and question after question about it. Our side deck is used all the time, and that seems to bring in the "tourist" to check it out. Just make sure your dealer shows you how to lock in the side patio steps properly, make them actually do it. I would recommend going with 3 A/C units, and I'm sure the dealer will tell you that you don't need it, you do. Read about A/C issues in some of the other posts here. My bad's, are pet peeves. 43' and they couldn't put in just a little bigger shower? I'm not a computer/tablet/phone junky, but some more USB ports would have come in handy, by the couch, by the bed. My biggest pet peeve would be the lack of light switches in the living room/kitchen. It's all controlled on the Jensen command/smart phone. It's real cool when the dealer shows it to you, real cool the 1st few nights of using it, but after reality sets in, it's kind of a pain, no, it is a pain, to always have to punch in a code just to turn on a light, gimme a simple switch. All in all, we are real happy with our purchase, and are super glad we went with the 420. Good luck.
curtthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
twvette

Good:
- Can't beat the open floor plan with patio ... the way it opens up to camp side is SO nice when inside and on patio ... great for my dogs too.
- Lots of cool features and will get lots of compliments as its a great rig
- Level up hydraulics really nice
- Hard to find a king bed and not in a slide ...
- three awnings is nice to keep sun off all the black that gets a little hotter (so add this to bad)

Bad(?):
- Biggest warning is the electric fridge. Love it in general now but I dry camp and need a ton of solar and batteries so might not apply. Would recommend 1000 amp hours of batteries and 1000W solar which is a very large chunk of $$$$. Not much battery storage so gonna need to do something custom for this.
- Would have them add more batteries and solar for fridge regardless to ensure keep it powered going down road.
- The In Command system can be very problematic. Not sure if 2018's now have the new "Pro" version and if do will liekly be much better as it is wired and does not rely on bluetooth connection to turn on basic things like lights, water pump, etc. so really annoying if fails.
- Its super heavy when put it on scale and lots of pin weight too
- Little storage for things like pots and pans and weird no upper drawers for utensils ... can work around this with creativity. Little storage in general compared to many.
- Have them add inverter in living area for TV, soundbar, and run wires for patio TV ... I don't know why high end RVs don't come like this.
- A/C not holding temp too well. Consider 3 AC model but still not perfect as cant run all three at same time. AC's are laid out really weird in general. There are things to make improvements but living area likely still hot when temp high 80's or above.
- For a top of the line hauler its still pretty standard stuff like not the greatest TV's, soundbar, and general quality issues. Some better than others. Just don't be surprised if thinking getting something of superior quality as will have bugs. Not that any others are different ...
- Like the garage but if have had non-garage in past it does cut away from things like kitchen room, counter top space, and storage in general.
- Lots of "extras" to haul around ... two big stairs for patios and hand rails, two heavy folding leg tables to setup ... just adds to setup time and cuts into what can really put in garage as its fairly small garage.
- Shower smaller than it looks ... stand in it with door closed.

Just my .02 ... I have many posts so might read them if search. I only have more bads than good as just warnings to consider ... different preferences for each. I am still not sure of another model I might have wished purchased over the 420 but none are perfect so be patient and do your research. I would check out the Grand Design 399TH as probably the closest match to compare I am aware of.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Jayruger22

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtthegreat View Post
We love our 420, have had no real bad issues with it, mostly just working out the bugs, we've been lucky. The good is, they're cool. When you pull in to a campsite be prepared for the gawkers, and question after question about it. Our side deck is used all the time, and that seems to bring in the "tourist" to check it out. Just make sure your dealer shows you how to lock in the side patio steps properly, make them actually do it. I would recommend going with 3 A/C units, and I'm sure the dealer will tell you that you don't need it, you do. Read about A/C issues in some of the other posts here. My bad's, are pet peeves. 43' and they couldn't put in just a little bigger shower? I'm not a computer/tablet/phone junky, but some more USB ports would have come in handy, by the couch, by the bed. My biggest pet peeve would be the lack of light switches in the living room/kitchen. It's all controlled on the Jensen command/smart phone. It's real cool when the dealer shows it to you, real cool the 1st few nights of using it, but after reality sets in, it's kind of a pain, no, it is a pain, to always have to punch in a code just to turn on a light, gimme a simple switch. All in all, we are real happy with our purchase, and are super glad we went with the 420. Good luck.

Read your post about the jenson and the light switches. I wasn't sure if you knew you can delete the passcode completely so you don't have to enter one at all. That's what I did just to make it more manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jayruger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:53 AM   #5
mattmountz94

Thanks for the answers. Good response. Yesterday I went and looked at the Fuzion along with a Raptor 428sp. The Raptor had a much better floor plan in my opinion. Now to just get the wife to approve.
mattmountz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #6
curtthegreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayruger22 View Post
Read your post about the jenson and the light switches. I wasn't sure if you knew you can delete the passcode completely so you don't have to enter one at all. That's what I did just to make it more manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jay! I'll look into that.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
mikz86ta

Good :
Looks pimp. Got plenty of lighting. Lots of natural light windows. Side patio when closed keeps it cooler and when open gives you the feeling of spaciousness. You don't have to eat and hang out on the ground with side patio, and can see further your surroundings. Full size fridge. 4 TVs. Huge living area TV. Ample squared up garage. Storm door to garage is wide. Comfortable 4 section recliner couch. Fast Trac Patio is as advertised and awesome. Just discovered a outdoor propane port behind front door. Onan generator is great. Queen bed is sufficient but think there's a King option. Everyone complements your coach. There's some good options and I say add third AC unit if you live or travel south. The rear screen door option is nice. The body in our Chrome is mostly painted 2 colors with graphics that seem high quality. New models upgraded the aluminum entry steps...unfortunately our '16 has the black steel ones. Tons of storage inside...we full time live and have not yet filled it up. But get a folding step to get up high. I'm 5'11" and got a two step step...im good but my girlfriend is 5'2" and could use the three step step stool.

Bad:
Kitchen counter is small unless you cover the sink with supplied toppers for food prep. But then u loose your sinks temporary. The really nice bar stools are in my opinion useless for the floor plan. Stove should be a higher end model with the same corian counter top flush covers. Carefree brand awnings are cool at first until you realize even slight winds make them move way too much...they don't recommend tethering them...the center arm has a weak spot that bends...they are noisy...motors seem to fail. Small amount of understorage. Sub woofer is hidden understorage area. Labels for the go and manuals specific to model Keystone needs to step up on. Living area switches (mine is a early '16 and has not the digital switch center) are behind door instead of plain view on wall. Odd slider door to bathroom rest against clothes closet and when open covers half bedroom TV. Bedroom faux drapes get in the way and I broke both lower plastic L-brackets so I took them down. Slider patio door drapes are not thick enough in my opinion.

Some of this is personal nit-picky stuff. And some are legit improvements they need to make.
Unfortunately ours being used, the prior owner traded it in and didn't leave the special made patio steps...both...and at $400/$500 each, they are costly to replace . They also forgot to leave the second fold table. Not a big deal, one suits us fine and we got a Cosco brand fold in half outdoor table anyways. They also forgot to leave the zero gravity chairs but I can live without those I suspose.
They did add some nice wall hanging hooks understorage. They added a Spendid washer/dryer. And added two Interstate batteries.

Don't spend MSRP on it. Used 1 year olds are only about $60-$75k in excellent condition. Find a deal for around $75-$80k new and that's a good deal. Any higher and you must have money to burn..lol

But all in all we could not be happier with our choice. It was between this and the Road Warrior model with 2 full baths (no side patio).
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
mikz86ta

Quote:
I agree. Needs to step up modern with bed and couch side USB.
Also the couch slider has power for fridge and power for lights, why not add outlets?
Old 08-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
Good:
- Can't beat the open floor plan with patio ... the way it opens up to camp side is SO nice when inside and on patio ... great for my dogs too.
- Lots of cool features and will get lots of compliments as its a great rig
- Level up hydraulics really nice
- Hard to find a king bed and not in a slide ...
- three awnings is nice to keep sun off all the black that gets a little hotter (so add this to bad)

Bad(?):
- Biggest warning is the electric fridge. Love it in general now but I dry camp and need a ton of solar and batteries so might not apply. Would recommend 1000 amp hours of batteries and 1000W solar which is a very large chunk of $$$$. Not much battery storage so gonna need to do something custom for this.
- Would have them add more batteries and solar for fridge regardless to ensure keep it powered going down road.
- The In Command system can be very problematic. Not sure if 2018's now have the new "Pro" version and if do will liekly be much better as it is wired and does not rely on bluetooth connection to turn on basic things like lights, water pump, etc. so really annoying if fails.
- Its super heavy when put it on scale and lots of pin weight too
- Little storage for things like pots and pans and weird no upper drawers for utensils ... can work around this with creativity. Little storage in general compared to many.
- Have them add inverter in living area for TV, soundbar, and run wires for patio TV ... I don't know why high end RVs don't come like this.
- A/C not holding temp too well. Consider 3 AC model but still not perfect as cant run all three at same time. AC's are laid out really weird in general. There are things to make improvements but living area likely still hot when temp high 80's or above.
- For a top of the line hauler its still pretty standard stuff like not the greatest TV's, soundbar, and general quality issues. Some better than others. Just don't be surprised if thinking getting something of superior quality as will have bugs. Not that any others are different ...
- Like the garage but if have had non-garage in past it does cut away from things like kitchen room, counter top space, and storage in general.
- Lots of "extras" to haul around ... two big stairs for patios and hand rails, two heavy folding leg tables to setup ... just adds to setup time and cuts into what can really put in garage as its fairly small garage.
- Shower smaller than it looks ... stand in it with door closed.

Just my .02 ... I have many posts so might read them if search. I only have more bads than good as just warnings to consider ... different preferences for each. I am still not sure of another model I might have wished purchased over the 420 but none are perfect so be patient and do your research. I would check out the Grand Design 399TH as probably the closest match to compare I am aware of.

We had to order the small Camco drawer utensil tray. Use the upper door (both mount low) for it. But our utensil set has knives that are a little long for it. Still works.
I added a couple nice metal 5-hook key holders in either sides of stove area on the sides of cabinets to hold my spatula, lentil spoon, etc.
There's a lot of figure it out as you go. Lol

I added a true 3.1 soundbar and sub with future support for rear wireless speakers. Same Samsung brand. But the one keystone supplied was not as nice.
I realized the Samsung LED TV supplied is bottom level. But better than most other RVs we looked at. Could use some better features and definitely a future upgrade there going to happen. Just content with what we got.
Outside TV needed to be bigger. Space is there for Pete's sake!
Outside speakers also are going to be upgraded to something more than the base model Sony line. And I want better outdoor sound. So the stock soundbar and sub may get re-purposed out there.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #10
lonewolftx

Wink You know. . .

Quote:
There are USB ports in the main sofa arm rests along with 120 volt plugs.

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
lonewolftx

Wink Look. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
I agree. Needs to step up modern with bed and couch side USB.
Also the couch slider has power for fridge and power for lights, why not add outlets?
If you look behind the 4 sofa chairs there is an outlet. I moved the subwoofer from the storage Bay Area to there using a 3way plug. The other outlet is a single for the frig as it is wired directly to the inverter for frig DC power.

Also there are USB and 12 volt plugs in the two armrests on the end sofa chairs.

2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
curtthegreat

Thanks Lonewolftx! You are right, they did put usb ports and outlets inside the armrests. We've owned it over a year now and we are still learning and still loving our 420. Once again thanks!👍
Old 10-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #13
lonewolftx

Cool No Worries. . .

Quote:
Thanks Lonewolftx! You are right, they did put usb ports and outlets inside the armrests. We've owned it over a year now and we are still learning and still loving our 420. Once again thanks!👍
Glad I could make your day! I’m sure you’ll find other hidden treasures as you do more Glamping.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
lonewolftx

Cool

Quote:
Another area there are USB and a lighter style power port is the shelf below the DVD. There you will find a rubber covered outlet for each of these that are blue light lit as well. On the right side of the shelf.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
MisaLetet

We got rid of the passcode too. That makes it much nicer!
MisaLetet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion