Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2019, 04:54 AM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Are they snow worthy? I will need a set of tires for my RAM come fall. Michigan winters are a good test for any all season tire. Only have 29k on the OEM Firestone Transforces and getting down to the wear bars. Not very happy with their longevity.

I'm not sure how to quantify "snow worthy". They have the "M/S" designation and have performed well in the snow that they have been in....for an all purpose tire. They will not of course perform near as well as an m/t tire or tires more purpose built for snow. They do however perform better than some other all purpose tires I can think of; Goodyear, Toyo, BFG and Firestone come to mind. I think the full depth siping is what helps a lot vs just the superficial cuts in most of the tires.

For me the most important aspects are quiet, dependable, smooth and rain/braking traction because that's where 90% of my driving will take place. Having lived in snow during the winters it finally came to me that it wasn't fun and I only go see it when I want to....sparingly. I don't even go to our mountain house in the winter any longer so snow performance is really sort of at the bottom of my list. I will say, and I'm sure you know, that the more aggressive the tread the poorer it will perform in braking, noise and in rain so to me those are primary considerations when pulling a trailer.

I'm not sure what to think about the Transforce tires. I liked mine and when I took them off with over 49k they still had lots of tread - I mentioned that at the start of this thread if I recall. I have read of others with the same situation you have so I don't know. The way my Transforce tires performed I thought Firestone had made a complete 180 from where they were a couple of decades or so ago; maybe it's just hit and miss.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote