Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2016, 04:33 AM   #81
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
This came back "complete" today. Just shy of 60 days in the shop.

The "fix" in my case was to extend the slide, remove the outer aluminum frame (vertical piece). Behind this piece was a spacer. Remove the spacer, slide the frame forward, re-attach frame. The slide now touches the roller before grinding against the front of the slide opening. Dealer installed new trim - I see no binding/scraping.

They were also to adjust any cables that were grinding on the inside jamb-clamp (aluminum). Service manager indicated that they installed rubber spaces at the ends of the slide guides to move the cable in the desired direction. I couldn't find these spaces. And I found that my slide cables were still grinding and one had started to fray. Got the service manager - asked him to show me the spacers. He said "I thought they did it" - asked for an "IOU" and we'll be going back...

The spaces he's talking about are simple rubber grommets that you'd use to insulate a metal hole. I'm not sure that they're worth anything for holding cables in place, but maybe I'm wrong. My solution may be to grind out the jamb-clamp, undecided... But the dealer fixed 2 out of 4 issues, so they're 50% and I don't know if I can handle another 60 days in the shop...

I'll see if I can get some pictures to better explain it.

Glad the major issues were fixed. My slide is so big that if I ever have to replace a cable it will be real interesting. To top it off the trim on the slide itself is stapled on. Have a good camping season.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #82
dcg9381

Spoke too soon - still binding... Warranty is up as of today.
A little miffed at the dealer, after 60 days, they didn't manage to completely any (successful) warranty work....
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #83
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Spoke too soon - still binding... Warranty is up as of today.
A little miffed at the dealer, after 60 days, they didn't manage to completely any (successful) warranty work....
Sorry to hear that. It seems like Keystone and the dealer need to step up on this. Unfortunately you'll end up missing the camping season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #84
dcg9381

Keystone doesn't leave a lot of options - they pay for a repair once and depend on the dealer to make it right. Keystone has approved this repair, so I assume that I've planted my stake... I will follow up with a phone call to see if they provide any other option.

Dealer in this circumstance isn't working with Keystone on the technical side - they say that their experience with Keystone's technical slide advice has been "not good" and that they don't call back. Dealer has been working with Tim at Accu-slide, who is great, but I think we're well outside the technical operation of main slide and into trailer construction. The remaining cables that need adjustment, that should be Accu-slide...

I'll post more as it gets sorted.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #85
dcg9381

Called Keystone - largely to confirm that they'd work with the dealer on pre-existing issues past warranty date. They said that they would.

Interesting - calls from TX, California, and one other state get special routing... No idea why?

I asked for "alternatives" to my local dealer, as they'd had it for 60 days for slide adjustment - I was provided with none. They said I'd have to take it back, but gave me the name of the service manager who I'm already working with. They said that they'd take up "loss of service date" as a "courtesy" thing - I didn't bring it up, other than mentioning that we've spend more than 25% of the time since new in for scheduled service. I asked them for a recommendation of an "approved" repair facility with expertise in Accu-slide, but they simple referred me back to Tim @ Accuslide.

It's not like a frame crack, axle falling off, etc - but slides grinding and cables mis-alligned will be long term problems if not addressed now. If I had the capacity to get this thing into a covered area, might have a go at it myself, but that's a last resort as I'd need to buy the appropriate tools to release the slide.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #86
mfifield01

I just got mine back from the dealer for various warranty items. They looked at my cables and said they adjusted them. They mentioned that slack would make the cable hit if the slide was retracted or extended too much. Not sure that anything was resolved, but at least it's noted if I have issues in the future.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #87
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I just got mine back from the dealer for various warranty items. They looked at my cables and said they adjusted them. They mentioned that slack would make the cable hit if the slide was retracted or extended too much. Not sure that anything was resolved, but at least it's noted if I have issues in the future.

Hope the adjustments worked.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #88
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
They mentioned that slack would make the cable hit if the slide was retracted or extended too much. Not sure that anything was resolved, but at least it's noted if I have issues in the future.
I'm not sure what that means. The big thing is the make sure that the cables do not contact the aluminum where the come through on the inside and outside of the RV. This is easy to spot if you take a look - at least on the inside. My guess is that this is a common problem.

My larger problem of the slide binding on the opening is unusual.

After 90 days, contacting Keystone multiple times, and having a dealer indicate repairs that they didn't actually do, I've had to use some alternate means to escalate this. After doing so, I'm finally getting some calls back from the dealer and they're asking me for pictures so they can get it sorted out with Tim @ Accuslide. Not fixed yet, but optimistic.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #89
dcg9381

Latest:
Back at the dealer. Lady at the counter quoted me "4 weeks" before they could actually work on it, so not sure why I was asked to bring it in now. Told me that I'm out of warranty - I confirmed with Keystone earlier that they'd cover non-resolved warranty issues. I've now got a frayed cable and new seals were destroyed, so we'll see how I do.

I really like the RV, I'm hopeful that we'll get these issues sorted out...
Old 06-03-2017, 11:17 PM   #90
ClarkGriswol

Hi dcg9381,
Any update on your slide out issues? I'm now dealing with the same situation of the cables almost cutting through the outside trim piece. Any advice you can give me would be highly appreciated.
ClarkGriswol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #91
Tbos

Slide adjustment advice? How are cable slides centered?

My cables are not centered and I've replaced the seals again. The dealer did a poor job on it once. I keep a close watch on the cables and while the have cut into the slide frame there doesn't seem to be any real damage to the cables. Time will tell. Good luck Clark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #92
dcg9381

They worked on my slides. Had to be taken back to the factory and one of the slide openings either enlarged or squared up, not sure which. Cable slides don't really center, they seem to float on the opening, so they can shift a bit during travel and if you ever set them up off level. In terms of getting them perfectly center and staying that way, I've had no luck, I think it's part of the floating design. There should be limiting rollers on the sides that prevent binding of slide-on-opening, but I think that's it. Cables shouldn't be "cutting" themselves on material either... Cables riding against the slide frame (like mine) are not good, but the slide frame material is aluminum and cables are steel. You can force some adjustment into the cables at where they attach to the slides, but that's about it.