Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2018, 05:16 AM   #21
Tinner12002

Another thing would be to check the hole location in the spring where it fits on the spring perch, even though spring was same length there could be a difference in the what I call, the segments of the spring, hole to the front and hole to the rear. You could have actually installed the spring backwards or they could have sold you the wrong one if the segments are different. Just a thought.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #22
busterbrown

Update: I wasn't able to go to the storage yard until this morning. I hooked up and drove very slowly home. Started my investigation underneath and noticed the driver's rear leaf spring broken at the ubolts. Now, I'm not a happy camper. I don't know if it happened on the 3 mile trip back to house or overnight in the yard. That's a lot of torque on the spring if it broke just sitting there.

So, I'm done... I replaced that spring with the extra one from the other side I had. All the measurements are the same for the spring length. As far as the center bolt (or "dimple" in my case) that sits in spring perch, it's exactly at the midpoint between both eyelets. So the segments are the same length. I also measured the wet bolt length. It's the same as the OEM hanger and equalizer bolt. I loosened all the wet bolts and retorqued to 30 ft lbs. Using my hydraulic jack to raise and lower the axles, I was able to visualize the equalizers moving without strain along with shackles. None of the articulation points are bound up.

So at this point, I'm throwing in the towel. I spent over 8 hours attempting to diagnose, fix, and upgrade my trailer's suspension to no avail. I'll take it to a professional axle and suspension shop tomorrow. If I never replace another trailer spring again, it'll be too soon.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #23
mfifield01

Did the springs need to be replaced?

I did the wetbolt upgrade about a year ago, but I didn't seem to have any issues with the springs. Mine needed to be re-greased after 2000 miles.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #24
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Did the springs need to be replaced?

I did the wetbolt upgrade about a year ago, but I didn't seem to have any issues with the springs. Mine needed to be re-greased after 2000 miles.
Dexter shipped me 2 new mono leaf springs last week. I installed both, then the next day, a second one broke.

Today, I dropped off the trailer at a frame, axle, and suspension shop. They're writing me up a quote on new 5,200 lb axles and multi-leaf springs with all the required hardware and adding in some cross-bracing along the width of the frame from hanger to hanger. I have 6 lug wheels and tires on order and will have everything on Thursday to deliver to the shop. It'll be nice to have larger brakes too. I'll recoup some of the costs by selling the old axles and tires/wheels.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #25
busterbrown

Should I upgrade the equalizer too?

My trailer is waiting to be up-fitted with new 5200 lb axles and leaf springs on Monday. The cost will be a little under for what I budgeted for. I've been thinking since I spoke with the shop yesterday afternoon. Would it be wise (and advantageous) to upgrade the OEM equalizers to one of the premium equalizers like EZ Flex from Dexter or Lippert's Equa-flex? I'm not sure MorRyde products can accommodate my wide spaced 42" axles.

The issues I see is with the OEm "non-standard length" (10 inch) equalizer on my coach and the distance between front and rear axles based on the size of the new leaf springs. The leaf springs can be resized but I'm questioning the 2.25" long shackles that came with my wet bolt kit.

Is it worth the upgrade to a better equalizer if the shop can find the right equation in length between the hangers? It would only cost me the new parts,not any additional labor time.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #26
Snoking

Check out Road Armor.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #27
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I seen this about Road Armor...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V643-5642.pdf

Inferior product?

Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 AM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
My trailer is waiting to be up-fitted with new 5200 lb axles and leaf springs on Monday. The cost will be a little under for what I budgeted for. I've been thinking since I spoke with the shop yesterday afternoon. Would it be wise (and advantageous) to upgrade the OEM equalizers to one of the premium equalizers like EZ Flex from Dexter or Lippert's Equa-flex? I'm not sure MorRyde products can accommodate my wide spaced 42" axles.

The issues I see is with the OEm "non-standard length" (10 inch) equalizer on my coach and the distance between front and rear axles based on the size of the new leaf springs. The leaf springs can be resized but I'm questioning the 2.25" long shackles that came with my wet bolt kit.

Is it worth the upgrade to a better equalizer if the shop can find the right equation in length between the hangers? It would only cost me the new parts,not any additional labor time.
I've been very happy over the past four years with the CRE3000 that came with my Cougar, I also have the Correct Track which thankfully I've never had to use. I can say that I've seen it being used to align the axles of one friends trailer, and it do work as advertised...

On a personal note... if they are going to weld new hangers to the frame anyway... I'd get as far away from those WIDE axles as I could..
Old 09-20-2018, 04:56 AM   #29
Snoking

Quote:
I seen this about Road Armor...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V643-5642.pdf

Inferior product?
"It has been decided that the vehicles in the recall population may have an incorrectly welded suspension equalizer installed on certain triple axle toy haulers"
Old 09-20-2018, 05:11 AM   #30
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
On a personal note... if they are going to weld new hangers to the frame anyway... I'd get as far away from those WIDE axles as I could..
Can't. The fenders and wheel wells won't align properly with axles closer together.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:22 AM   #31
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
"It has been decided that the vehicles in the recall population may have an incorrectly welded suspension equalizer installed on certain triple axle toy haulers"
I'm not sure LCI is still supporting those Road Armour equalizers. I only see the Equa-Flex product listed on their website. I can't find them anywhere else either.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #32
Snoking

Quote:
I'm not sure LCI is still supporting those Road Armour equalizers. I only see the Equa-Flex product listed on their website. I can't find them anywhere else either.
https://store.lci1.com/road-armortm-tandem-kit
Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #33
Snoking

BTW, the Road Armor Bumper people most likely own that trade mark!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #34
travelin texans

I'd go with the Dexter or MorRyde if available for your wide stance. I'd also call both to confirm exactly what will/won't work before ordering either.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #35
mjeronimo

Maybe shackles too short

In the marked up picture, one axle ubolts at 10-15 degrees and other at “0” plumb. But the equalizer isn’t level. If the equalizer was level ubolts would be at 5-7 degrees (leaning towards each other) shouldn’t they be at “0” plumb? Longer shackles would rotate axles up in the middle, getting you closer to “0”?
In your first pic it almost looks like right axle (rear?) locked up and left axle brakes aren’t working allowing left axle to rotate freely and torquing the equalizer? Do the tires spin if raised? Maybe you pinched or nicked brake wires?
I know lots of ? Just trying to help, please excuse the non technical -plumb and level and leaning (carpenter 30 yrs)
Please keep us informed if you figure it out ( I plan on doing a wet bolt upgrade)
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #36
mjeronimo

42 wide spread

I also have the 42 spread axle these are the only after market upgrade equalizer I have found
https://www.etrailer.com/static/imag...36_34_1000.jpg
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #37
slow

Assuming your TT is truly level and on level ground, my WAG (wild a~~ guess) is that the springs on both axles are not the same stiffness (spring rate).
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #38
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Assuming your TT is truly level and on level ground, my WAG (wild a~~ guess) is that the springs on both axles are not the same stiffness (spring rate).
The trailer was level. I wish that it was just the spring rate being different. But, unfortunately, the part number is the same, and I replaced both on the damaged (passenger) side. The driver side springs should have been isolated (uneffected) by the failure of the passenger spring. The suspension shop agrees that the hangers may have led to the second failed leaf spring. May have been a binding issue on the eyelet of the spring as one hangers was bent a little inwards.

Per the shop's recommendation, I've agreed to have them weld in three steel runners along the underbody to help strengthen the hangers. This shop does custom work from everything from travel trailers, fifth wheels, dump trailers, and big commercial trucks. Couldn't believe how big they were until I saw their service bays. The work will be warrantied for my length of ownership.

My new wheels and tires were delivered today, will belanced and mounted tomorrow, and dropped off Monday.