Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #1
Obes22

AC cycling off

Can anyone give me any pointers on why my AC cycles off over night. It seems to work fine all day in Auto. We have it set at 70, then at night we like to be cooler so we set it at 66. It seems to run through a cycle and then it never comes back on. I need to power it off for it to come back on, at which point it will only run through one cycle and not come back on? The camper and AC are brand-new as of April 2018?
Obes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

More information would elicit more response. Brand of ac unit? Make and model of t'stat? Some pictures might help as well.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:52 AM   #3
jkohler70

It might be freezing up. At 66 degrees, the air it's pulling in to cool further is already pretty cool. This can lead to ice developing on the coils. The system is designed to pull warm inside air into the unit and cool it. The air is already cool. The other issue that can cause it to ice up is poor air flow into the ducts. Keystone does a poor job of installing duct work. If you have a dump valve on the bottom of the unit try running it with this open. If it doesn't freeze up, it's your ducts.
Only way to know is to pull off the cover when this happens and look up at the coils.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
It might be freezing up. At 66 degrees, the air it's pulling in to cool further is already pretty cool. This can lead to ice developing on the coils. The system is designed to pull warm inside air into the unit and cool it. The air is already cool. The other issue that can cause it to ice up is poor air flow into the ducts. Keystone does a poor job of installing duct work. If you have a dump valve on the bottom of the unit try running it with this open. If it doesn't freeze up, it's your ducts.
Only way to know is to pull off the cover when this happens and look up at the coils.
+1 on checking the ducts as well as sealing the area between the intake and discharge sections... make sure it is not sucking refrigerated air back into the intake.

Also, with the thermostat in auto, when the temperature gets to within 2 degrees of the set point the fan speed will switch to low, which can further exacerbate the coil freezing.

There should be a freeze sensor stuck into the evaporator and if it freezes up that will shut things down.

-Brian
Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
arch113

I have a different problem with mine set to AUTO, it will run, and when it gets to the right temp, it will shut off (fan and all) for a few seconds then kick right back on, shut off for a few seconds and so on.... So now I just leave it on high, the compressor will cycle on/off normally when I do this.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
Obes22

So with it set to high, it’ll shut off when it reaches the set temperature? My ac does the same thing where it shuts off then comes right back on a few seconds later.
Obes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
arch113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obes22 View Post
So with it set to high, it’ll shut off when it reaches the set temperature? My ac does the same thing where it shuts off then comes right back on a few seconds later.

When mine is set to HIGH or LOW instead of AUTO, the compressor will cycle on/off normally, but the FAN will stay on (which is what its suppose to do in this mode) regardless.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #8
NotyetMHCowner

I have already had one of my AC's replaced under warranty for "short cycling". For some reason, my living room AC, when set to AUTO, will completely shut off when it needs to change fan speeds. The problem is it comes right back on and starts the compressor once again within 10 seconds of shutting off. That will destroy a compressor. The bedroom AC does not do this. So I never run the living room AC in AUTO. Usually HIGH. I have no idea why one works correctly and the other one does not when both are controlled from the same thermostat.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote