Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #1
Tlv0923

How to keep bunk room warm

Hello!
We have a 2020 passport 292BHWE and are having trouble keeping the bunk room warm at night. We took it in for some other service and asked them to look at the vent in the bunk room to make sure it wasn’t blocked as the air output is minimal compared to our other 2 vents, and they said it was fine.
Anyone have any ideas to keep it warmer in there? We have little kids that sleep in there and it’s been getting pretty cold at night where we are. Thanks!
Tlv0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:27 AM   #2
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

If there area areas that stay hidden but lead to the outer walls use some wall insulation boards.
I did the inside back wall of the cabinets, storage areas, behind the couch in the slide etc and it did help alot. I assume having a BH that there is a outside kitchen linked to the BH, that would be one spot. Cargo doors arent well built or insulated.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
slow

How to keep bunk room warm

Adding balancing dampers to the furnace to force more hot air to the bunk area may be the solution to your issue. Had similar issue with our bedroom and the dampers solved the issue. Pictures in one of my albums and balance dampers available at HD.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Adding balancing dampers to the furnace to force more hot air to the bunk area may be the solution to your issue. Had similar issue with our bedroom and the dampers solved the issue. Pictures in one of my albums and balance dampers available at HD.

Be careful how many you use and where you use in proximity to furnace. There is a “limit switch” that will turn off the flame if the plenum gets too hot.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
GeekSquadOfUn

2 options I think.

1. Space heater
2. Electric blankets for the kids. (they'd love that)

There is only so much a propane heater can do in any RV.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
2 options I think.

1. Space heater
2. Electric blankets for the kids. (they'd love that)

There is only so much a propane heater can do in any RV.
My 40' 5th wheel the furnace could've baked meat, it worked almost too well.
At 1st the bedroom got cold, but further inspection found the duct to that vent had fallen off & was doing a great job of heating the basement, after reattaching I had to put a dampening register on it or you'd roast.
I'd check the ducts where attached to the furnace plenum & if it's attached at that register. Personally wouldn't take their word that "yes it's fine" til I verified myself, some, if not most, dealerships are too busy, or lazy, to chase down every little complaint. Not referring to you Chuckster, but the odds are against you & dealership's reputations.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
Huntme

leave the door open,if the rest of the trailer stays warm,then bunk room will stay warm,at least it should,so if you are closing the bunk room door,keep it opened,if you aren't closing the door,then turn up the heat.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Move from the frozen tundra to Texas although you will start asking air conditioning questions quickly! We bought a small ceramic heater at Walmart and use it rather than the propane heater that came with the trailer and this small electric heater keeps the whole 5th wheel as warm as you would like. The idea about the inside of cabinets is a good one as there is NO insulation behind our kitchen cabinets. In a void like where our water pump is, there is a thin piece of wood covering the opening and that void gets REAL warm so I am thinking some insulation in those areas might not hurt be it for better heating or cooling.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote