Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #41
Sk734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
Yep, clips on my axles as well.

I just went through this with ours. Did a maintenance check and found one leaking seal. I ended up replacing the bearing and seal on that wheel, even though the bearing was in mint shape. I kept the old bearing and ordered an extra seal, so I now have a spare I keep in a ziplock.

Suggest you do the same if you're having it serviced anyway. That way you'll have the peace of mind of new bearings and seals on the trailer, plus you'll have a spare (or 2 or 4?).
Did you change the race when you installed a new bearing?
Sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #42
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk734 View Post
Did you change the race when you installed a new bearing?
I did not. I cleaned it thoroughly and inspected it. It was perfectly un-scored and so I left it.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #43
crewmember

Wondering if bearings could also cause very uneven wear on a tire? We have one just replaced for the second time wearing to the inside.
crewmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #44
GHen

As far as inside wear, my daughters dexter rear axel at 2000 miles was bent, on both sides. BOTH tires showed inside wear, Dexter sent new axels without question under warranty. The bent axel appear to have been bent just from tight turns putting pressure on the axel tube. We could visually see the bends.

If your wear is only on one side of the axel, a bearing on that side could be loose. Just get that wheel off the ground and shake it, you should get virtually no movement.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #45
Spletbr

I have a 2019 TT with about 10k miles this year. I’ll repack or replace bearings this off season as needed. Being new to having a trailer...where do I get the bearings? Do I need to go back to camping world (ugh), or are the standard from an auto store?
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #46
skmct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
I did not. I cleaned it thoroughly and inspected it. It was perfectly un-scored and so I left it.
Mixing cups (outer Ring) and cones(inner roller assy) is not a good practice. If the brgs are by the the same mfg. you can get away with it if they are new. the taper angles must match our rollers will skid.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #47
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
Mixing cups (outer Ring) and cones(inner roller assy) is not a good practice. If the brgs are by the the same mfg. you can get away with it if they are new. the taper angles must match our rollers will skid.
You are correct, what I should have done was put the old (like new) bearings back in their mated race once repacked.

I'll take my chances with it now. As I said, they were still mint condition.
I have a few thousand miles on them since, and always check temperatures with a laser at stops along the way. I have not noticed any difference in heat.
Thanks for pointing that out though.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #48
McRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
...Lastly, what are some “better quality” greases that I should be using/carrying? I know this is somewhat subjective, but there has to be some that are better than others. And what is considered the best bearings, race (assemblies) out there for a 5500# axle...
-Andy
As an option:
When I upgraded my axles from 7k to 8k, I chose to go with "wet" axle bearings. Basically they float in 90w oil, same as your trucks rear differential. You can look through the clear hub window to check fluid level and remove the rubber plug to add fluid on the road. 35k miles on them and no issues so far.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #49
ajk170

Mcrod- never heard of those types before- is that type of axle/assembly a lot more expensive over a regular axle?
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #50
ajk170

Ghen, et al -this may sound silly, but when inspecting the axles should their not be a noticeable arch or bend to the axle? It should appear straight?
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #51
GHen

Ajk, The dexter axels on my daughters Jayco had a slight arch up in the middle.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #52
bobbecky

The axles are supposed to be arched up to provide a camber for the wheels.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #53
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The axles are supposed to be arched up to provide a camber for the wheels.
Bending the axles in various angles is the way the alignment is acheived
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #54
Local150

Cars an pickups go 200,000 or more and no problems with bearings. Probably most trailers are a smaller bearing but do your maintanece repacking but bearing gs should last a long long time
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #55
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Cars an pickups go 200,000 or more and no problems with bearings. Probably most trailers are a smaller bearing but do your maintanece repacking but bearing gs should last a long long time
Their also not serviceable anymore on vehicles, replace the entire hub assembly when worn out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #56
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Their also not serviceable anymore on vehicles, replace the entire hub assembly when worn out.
Depending on make/model the bearing can be replaced if you have a shop press. I do it all the time on smaller FWD cars. Majority of trucks it is cheaper to replace the whole hub assembly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #57
bobbecky

Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread about bearings is, in order to inspect the brakes on these rigs, you must pull the drum/hub, and in doing so, it is best to repack the bearings and of course install new seals. When doing my annual service to repack the bearings and inspect the brakes, I found one brake assembly that lost the adjuster screw assembly and spring along with a couple other small parts, and never had any indication that there was a problem at that wheel. These backing plate brake assemblies were USA made Dexter parts, and were perfect the last couple of service intervals. Essentially, the brake was not working at that wheel, and would have never known it without pulling the drum/hub. It was a last straw for me, and we now have disc brakes on the rig.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, how to fix wheel bearings, side of the road, wheel bearings