Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Karyn Felt

Cover

We would like to buy a cover for our Keystone Laredo Model 308. My husband wanted me to check in here and see what everyone is using and what you think of the one you have. Thank you.
Karyn Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

When I brought my new 2015 camper back to store at the dealer the first winter I asked for a recommendation on a cover. His answer was "none". Knowing he was losing a sale it surprised me. He pointed out that none of the units on his lot were covered in the winter, even the high end motor homes. He feels they do more damage than good, especially in open areas that can be windy. He also pointed out that UV exposure up here near the Canadian border in New York is minimal in the winter, which is one of the main reasons for using a cover. You can check the UV index for your area here: https://www.epa.gov/sunsafety/...afe...erage-uv-index

Side note: I recently bought a cover for my truck to keep the pine pitch off it where I boondock in a local State Forest. The sewn on label warms not to leave the cover on for more than two weeks without removing it to clean it.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

A good coat of quality wax, no cover. Just search the forum use “cover”

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

IMHO, the ONLY cover that should be over an RV is one that doesn't touch it when the wind blows. Any billowing or rubbing will eventually cause damage to the RV and/or to the cover. We live in northern Michigan, a place where the winter weather is anything but kind to things stored outside. I tried a cover the first year we were here. The cover was still frozen to the RV in May of the following spring which definitely delayed our March departure. The following year, we contracted for inside storage in an old manufacturing plant about 30 miles from our home and after 2 years, I built a pole barn, dedicated to storage of the RV, boat and motorcycles.

As far as I'm concerned, fabric covers have the potential to cause more harm than good and, I wouldn't cover my RV ever again. For me, it was worth the expense to rent space indoors and fortunately, for us, we found the opportunity to build our own indoor storage facility.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
Karyn Felt

Thank you for the valuable information on covers. This will definitely help us decide whether we want one or not....and I don't think we do... Thanks!
Old 08-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
travelin texans

Plus if you live where there's much wind you'll only get 1 maybe 2 seasons before it's shredded. Not to mention being a PITA to put on.
IMHO the only one that benefits from RV covers is the company making/ selling them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Roscommon48

lots of people look but many don't waste their money on them. A cover becomes a pain after a while.

waste of money and effort.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I'll just chime in since you're looking for input.....don't. You'll be much happier in my experience.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
Karyn Felt

Placed an order and DID NOT ORDER. I'm glad that I checked here first. Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn Felt View Post
Placed an order and DID NOT ORDER. I'm glad that I checked here first. Thanks again.
Wax it up good before storage, you'll be better off than a cover.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
Sherwolfe

The first year I had my 2015 28RLSWE I put a cover on it, in the spring I realized why that wasn't a good idea. The cover had worn on the edge of the roof and caused some minor scuffing to the front of the trailer that I was able to buff out.

Since then and now, I put Aerospace 303 on the roof and put a good coat of wax on the trailer each fall and spring. Of course I also check all seams for cracked or checked calking, which I take care of if there is any concern.

I never used the cover again and in fact, let it go with the new owners who bought my trailer. I don't plan on using any cover on my new 2019 29RLDWE.

That said, each trailer owner has their own beliefs and ideas on the best way to care for their RV. On this site, as you asked, you can and will get some great advice to weigh in your decision. Good Luck.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Sherwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
Bamabox

[IMG][/IMG]

I’ve used this one for two winters since buying the 21rbs. I could be convinced not to use it, I think it’s very attractive to mice and other concerns people have mentioned here. My one major concern is the snow and ice on the roof, melting, freezing, melting, re-freezing causing issues with all the caulking on the roof. Should this be a concern?

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

My understanding and experience with DICOR self leveling sealant cure times is that it takes about a month or so for the DICOR to cure enough that it won't adhere to anything that is pushed into it (think cover pulled tight over a corner with the sealant around that area being "crushed" by the cover)

Hypothetically, apply sealant in late October/early November, cover the trailer a week or so later, then it rains, turning to snow and pushes the cover down even more into the DICOR. The temperature increases, snow melts, but cover remains adhered to the sealant (that has not yet cured).... Repeat through the entire winter, and then "literally pull the cover off the RV" in the spring....

Will it happen? Maybe/maybe not, but if you clean and maintain your roof, reseal the roof then cover it, the sealant likely won't be cured. If you wait till spring to seal the roof, should there be a void in the sealant from towing the trailer (movement pulls the roof structure making voids more likely while towing), if (BIG LETTERS) there is a leak AND (more big letters) the cover happens to leak or rip or be blown off, then the "holes in the roof that weren't sealed" are an "open invitation to allow water into the RV"......

So, to summarize: If you seal the roof just before covering the trailer, the sealant may stick to the cover. If you wait until spring, if there's a leak and the cover fails, you increase the risk of water damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #14
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
IMHO, the ONLY cover that should be over an RV is one that doesn't touch it when the wind blows. Any billowing or rubbing will eventually cause damage to the RV and/or to the cover. We live in northern Michigan, a place where the winter weather is anything but kind to things stored outside. I tried a cover the first year we were here. The cover was still frozen to the RV in May of the following spring which definitely delayed our March departure. The following year, we contracted for inside storage in an old manufacturing plant about 30 miles from our home and after 2 years, I built a pole barn, dedicated to storage of the RV, boat and motorcycles.

As far as I'm concerned, fabric covers have the potential to cause more harm than good and, I wouldn't cover my RV ever again. For me, it was worth the expense to rent space indoors and fortunately, for us, we found the opportunity to build our own indoor storage facility.
I 100% agree with this! I had a cover on my last trailer, and just by the wind blowing on the cover and it rubbing on the EDPM roof, cause a hole in the roof in just one season.
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
In my experience living in Oregon we get an abundance of rain in the winter and does a lot of freezing and thawing. I have used on for the last 19 years (on my 3rd rv) (2 Class Cs and my present TT) I have not had any issues with the cover damaging any of my RVs. Now this is my experience and maybe out of the norm. And with the exception of a couple of dings from rocks hitting the front of my TT it still looks brand new. In my 4th year of ownership.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #16
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
In my experience living in Oregon we get an abundance of rain in the winter and does a lot of freezing and thawing. I have used on for the last 19 years (on my 3rd rv) (2 Class Cs and my present TT) I have not had any issues with the cover damaging any of my RVs. Now this is my experience and maybe out of the norm. And with the exception of a couple of dings from rocks hitting the front of my TT it still looks brand new. In my 4th year of ownership.
Yeah, that’s my main concern about NOT using the cover is freezing, thawing, freezing thawing cycles. Anyone who lives in a northern winter area knows what ice can do. And like you, in 2 winters I have not witnessed any chaffing from wind. However this winter I’m going to make sure I have access to get in the door once a week or so and run my mice eradication vid on youtube on the tv. It works.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #17
leathermanls

What wax is recommended?
leathermanls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #18
Jmill8

I bought cover from guy who never used it so got a very good price. I was relatively new to the RV world at the time and figured cover would be good for me in Wash state. I used it twice and determined it was colossal pain to put on and take off my 34ft Monty. IMHO cover is not worth the effort.
Jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #19
jimborokz

I find it interesting here in upstate NY lake country that everyone covers their boat in shrink wrap for the winter but leaves their camper uncovered with a very few exceptions. I've found the best way to protect my RV from snow and ice is to just take it south.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #20
shermris

While most people do not cover their RV/trailers, it is recommended that you cover the AC unit/s for colder areas or any time the RV will not be used for 4 months or more. I have used a cover in the past and found that it kept the RV clean and protected the top from elements. I did not see any signs of cover damage during 3 years of use. I didn't put it on last year because it snowed before I had a chance to put it on. It typically takes 20 to 30 minutes to cover my 29 foot travel trailer. Walmart had the best price and the best warranty, which was 3 years.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover