Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #61
IMASAP

Looks great ……. you got spoiled with such an easy spot to mount it. Our first trip out after installing ours, it dropped us off the campground grid 6 times in the first 24 hrs. for low voltage. I guess ignorance was bliss for me, pre EMS.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:02 AM   #62
Scott902

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I slept better last night knowing it was installed. Just this past weekend while at home, plugged into the garage, our area got a brownout. I unplugged it right away to be safe.

This weekend we're camping off grid, so it won't really matter but Im so happy knowing I have it now.

15 Sierra SLT 1500 Max Tow 6.2
16 Springdale 27OLE
Scott902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:54 AM   #63
MarkEHansen

There is no need to unplug it when you see there are problems with the power - that's the job of the EMS. It will keep your trailer disconnected from power until it feels it is safe. Just leave it plugged in and let it do it's job
Old 06-18-2019, 04:01 AM   #64
Scott902

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
There is no need to unplug it when you see there are problems with the power - that's the job of the EMS. It will keep your trailer disconnected from power until it feels it is safe. Just leave it plugged in and let it do it's job
Sorry, this was before I installed it.

15 Sierra SLT 1500 Max Tow 6.2
16 Springdale 27OLE
Scott902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:35 AM   #65
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Good advice. One situation where I'd consider unplugging the trailer is in a thunderstorm, if there are lightening strikes in the vicinity. While the EMS will probably protect the trailer in the event the campground or house were hit, the EMS is going to be destroyed by the lightening. Both Sure-Guard and Progressive specifically exclude lightening strikes from their "lifetime warranty".

So, it may be a good idea to be "pro-active" and protect the EMS from lightening rather than install a new one after the strike...... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #66
FlyingAroundRV

KERCHING!
Rumble, rumble.
That's the sound of dollars not flowing out of my pocket because of the thunderstorm where we are and my Progressive EMS protecting all my electrics.
A moment ago our aircon suddenly switched off. A moment or two later I realized that all the AC power was off. We got zapped by a lightning strike somewhere and the EMS did its job.
That is the first time it has had to protect us. I'm glad it's there.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #67
Laredo Tugger

Went to a park 2 days ago. The second site they offered me had "no ground connection" show up on my Autoformer analyzer. EMS saved me a massive headache there.
After refusing to purchase an extra sewer hose for $25 so I could reach the sewer dump connection on the first site and refusing to pay $20 per night (3 night stay) to rent the site behind me (so I could backup 3 feet to make my 2 hoses fit) I pulled up stakes and went elsewhere.
Had to fight for a refund that I did not get. Just called my credit card company and told them to abort the charges.
Real shady operation.
But happy with the EMS performance.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:03 AM   #68
FlyingAroundRV

It turns out that the spikes we've been getting at the current campground are not caused by the thunderstorm that passed some distance away, but are caused by having four campers connected to one pedestal and the spikes are caused by the aircon cycling in the other RVs. We're going to ask to move to a site that doesn't have 4 RVs on a pedestal today. If not, we're moving camp too.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote