Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
deer30084

Generator question

I own a 2018 Passport 2520RL that has a 15,000 btu A/C. I have an 11 yr old Briggs & Stratton model 030253 generator that has 8550 starting watts and 5550 running watts. It has a 120/240 Volt Ac, 30 amp receptacle, four prong flat type(not the RV type). I plug in with an adapter. The A/C starts up and then the compressor immediately shuts off and only the fan is barely on. The clock on the microwave blinks. The generator also bogs down. It seems that the generator can't handle the A/C and that's really what I want it to do. Based on the wattage numbers, one would think it should. Any comments would be appreciated.
deer30084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I think your problem is in your first sentence. "I have an 11 year old...."

Chances are very good that your generator has problems and simply can't deliver the rated output. Whether it's from worn brushes, corroded armature windings, shorted windings or some other cause, I'd suspect that the generator isn't up to the task.

If your trailer can be plugged into a 30 amp (3600 watt) RV outlet and power the air conditioner, then it certainly should be capable of running on a properly functioning 5550 watt source. I'd say your generator isn't providing 5550 watts, and from the "bogging down" that occurs, if the A/C operates on a 30 amp source, the generator is providing significantly less than 3600 watts.

One of the comments I've made over the years is that running any generator "at or near" capacity, then turning it off without following a proper "cool down sequence" will destroy the insulation on the armature windings. It usually starts with one or two windings and you'll never notice the loss. Over the years, each time the insulation "heat soaks" and breaks down, a bit more "wattage capability" is lost, until one day, you start the generator, power it up, plug in something that it should run easily, and realize that it bogs down and "craps on itself".... I'm guessing that's where your 11 year old generator may be......

Try it with someone else's "known good" generator. I'm guessing your A/C will work without problems. As for the generator, troubleshooting and potential repair may be an option, then again, you may find that the parts to repair it cost more than a new, better generator.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
deer30084

John: Thank you very much for your reply. I think that explains everything I need to know. I can try some one else's known good generator and take it from there. Thanks again.
John F.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
06trdrew

I have just been doing research on generators the last 2 months and come to find out a lot of generators split the power between circuits. I know a guy that re wired his 4000W generator to one 110V outlet just for that reason. I’m not much of a tinker so I went a different route. I just bought a Champion 3500W remote start inverter generator couple weeks ago. It runs my 15k BTU AC, microwave and mini drink fridge no problems. The start up amps on the ac will surge 31 Amps then drops down to 14 while running. With a 11 year old generator and possibly not a dedicated circuit this could be the problem. My model is a champion 100262 about $1200 OTD.
Also check your elevation above sea level. Every 1000’ above sea level you will loose 3% power efficiency. I’ll be dry camping at 7,500 feet this month so I bought a elevation jet for the carb. Hopefully this unit will do the job? I’ll have to wait and see. Best of luck mate!!
06trdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:33 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

On dual fuel gensets the output is also reduced when using propane as apposed to gasoline.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:37 AM   #6
deer30084

Generator question

Update: I got gutsy and decided to do things myself. First I took the cover off the electrical unit and looked at the "brushes." They looked good; no grooves or wear evident to me. In the lifetime of the generator, I had not used it much for power. I was pretty much stored and cranked up a few times over the years. Yes, the gas had been changed from time to time. Then I gave it a new spark plug, air filter and oil. Those had been changed a couple times over the years also. Still wouldn't power the RV A/C.

Next, I ordered a carburetor for $15 and some change from Amazon and put it on myself. It works! It powered my RV A/C and didn't even hiccup! Then I opened up the old carburetor just for curiosity and found yellow gunk inside. Not much, but it probably didn't need much to bog the unit down.

As far as sea level goes, I live about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

Hopefully this info helps someone else having the same generator problem.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
Update: I got gutsy and decided to do things myself. First I took the cover off the electrical unit and looked at the "brushes." They looked good; no grooves or wear evident to me. In the lifetime of the generator, I had not used it much for power. I was pretty much stored and cranked up a few times over the years. Yes, the gas had been changed from time to time. Then I gave it a new spark plug, air filter and oil. Those had been changed a couple times over the years also. Still wouldn't power the RV A/C.

Next, I ordered a carburetor for $15 and some change from Amazon and put it on myself. It works! It powered my RV A/C and didn't even hiccup! Then I opened up the old carburetor just for curiosity and found yellow gunk inside. Not much, but it probably didn't need much to bog the unit down.

As far as sea level goes, I live about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

Hopefully this info helps someone else having the same generator problem.
I have a generator (Champion) and haven't had much call to look at the carburetor but most small engines have the "jet" as an integral part of the hex "bolt" that fits into the bottom of the bowl and holds the bowl on. If you take the old bowl off and clean the holes in the "bolt" that holds the bowl, that will fix the carburetor problem as there is little else that can go wrong with one of those type carburetors. I use welding small, serrated wires to push through those holes and carb cleaner. (I own a motorcycle carb business). The yellow stuff is congealed gas goo as the corn gas we use today collects moisture and when it dries a bit, the gas turns into goo. Doesn't happen if you use gas without the corn stuff in your small engines that are only operated once in awhile.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator