Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
jdixon980

Fridge Exhaust Fans

We have camped in our new 2018 Cougar 367FLS twice now. Our first fifth wheel and we really like it. Especially the front living. The only issues we have had was lost power in half of camper on first trip. The issue was breaker in campground had to be replaced. Second outing, had issue with fridge not cooling as good as I would like. With sun shining on slide fridge would only cool to 48-49. So I have been doing some research on exhaust fans for back of fridge. I was looking at adding the Valterra exhaust fan. What is the best way to mount. I was think of using wire ties to tie to back side of lower vent. Put another one in top vent. I would assume lower fan would pull air in and have upper fan blow air out. Is this the best option or should I mount a different way? Like for fridge to be at least 37 degrees. Have a week long trip for July 4 and another week long trip in August. Thanks for any info
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
retiredusps69

I really don't know your type of trailer. But most trailers come with the fan mounted already.On ours the wire to the 12 volt was never connected Just hanging coiled up.If it is in a slide you can use computer fans. or go with a kit from alot of sellers.I mounted 2 more computer fans on ours with new snap switches.I also added a fan inside the refrig. Now freezer stays at almost zero and refrig at about 34 on mid setting.Google refrig fans and it will give you alot of sellers with kitswith fans and all the wire and switches.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If your fridge is on a slide, there should be at least 2 fans mounted just below the upper fins. I would make sure they are working before you add another one.

Take off the upper access panel, look at the left side on the last fin. There should be a “limit switch” that will activate the fans when the fins get warm. Not uncommon for that “switch” to fail. Easy test is to jumper the connections and if the fans come on, the switch needs to be replaced. If they don’t, then further testing is needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
bobbecky

I have had to replace the fan switch mounted to the upper coil fins on our fridge. https://rvcoolingunit.com/Norcold-Fa...-P1802602.aspx

I have also had to replace the thermistor on the inside fridge fins in the refrigerator compartment due to corrosion on the metal clip that holds the thermistor against the fin.
https://rvcoolingunit.com/Thermistor...-P1992020.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermistor and clip.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	16824  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
jdixon980

Thanks for the info.
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
NorskeBob

I installed an extra fan on our last RV. Purchase a computer fan and mounted it near the top vent (frig was in the slide). SilenX Effizio Silent 120mm Thermistor Edition Fan EFX-12-15T. The fan installed by the manuf. is about 1/2 way down the back of the frige. It helped with the cool down time and did help lower the frig temps some.
Powered via a switch and the 12V connections on the frig
Our present RV/fridge has two external fans and fans in the freezer and frig section - Norcold 4 door frig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	16840   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	16841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power strip.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	16842   Click image for larger version

Name:	orig. fan.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	16843  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
RGreene

We were having a similar temperature range difference with our fridge. Its in a slide and when the sun was on the slide the temperature would go to 46 f. One day i arrived and the fridge was not working, all contents lost. The 15 amp fuse for the fridge was not inserted properly into the terminals, inserted into one terminal and sitting on the other. This caused a high resistance and a voltage drop to the circuit board. The fuse burned, not burnt out. Installed a new fuse and the fridge temperature hasn't gone higher than 38 f. Suggest that you check the 15 amp fuse in the fuse block.
RGreene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge