Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
sourdough

Keystone Quality vs Others

We have threads and posts from time to time (many of them) lamenting the quality control and poor construction of Keystone trailers. Most know that the issue is across all brands, not just Keystone. But, if you didn't I'll share this:

Day before yesterday I was sitting in the RV listening to all kinds of noises coming from the trailer beside me - they are good friends. He was all twisted up trying to get upside down trying to run a saw in the floor.....of a brand new Bighorn 5th wheel. He has 2 bathrooms and seems the main one would not get warm and his wife was having fits about taking a shower. Now this again is a brand new 38' fiver. He said he had a 4" heating duct to the bathroom and a 1 1/2" hole cut for it to go into. The air just wasn't making it into the bathroom. He had to enlarge the hole to 3 1/2" and now things worked fine.

He has had several other issues that had been fixed before he got here to FL on his maiden voyage but that was missed I guess.

Just saying that lack of QC is not a Keystone problem - it is endemic in RV manufacturing.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
travelin texans

Thor is the parent company of both your Keystone Cougar & his Heartland Big Country, along with just about any make or model you can name, so in my opinion they are the same company just different assembly lines.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Thor is the parent company of both your Keystone Cougar & his Heartland Big Country, along with just about any make or model you can name, so in my opinion they are the same company just different assembly lines.
I understand completely. But, the complaints on THIS forum are usually about the issues with Keystone's and many times focus on the fact that it is just a Keystone issue. They aren't. The fact that Keystone and Heartland are under the same umbrella is pretty much irrelevant. As you stated, they have different assembly lines, but also management, business direction, etc. They ARE different. If you just want to rule out Thor, group it all together and write them off but still want an RV.....good luck.

I was simply trying to point out to those that worry that Keystone puts out a trailer with issues vs others that don't......that birdie won't fly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I was simply trying to point out to those that worry that Keystone puts out a trailer with issues vs others that don't......that birdie won't fly.
Ain’t that the truth!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The way I look at it, Airstream is "the" trailer to buy. The most expensive per foot that's sold on the open market... Last time I looked, EVERY Airstream dealer has a service department to fix things that aren't right...... 'nuff said ????

Oh, Airstream is also Thor, so check that Forest River dealer.... Yup, service department behind their sales lot too......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Hodgy

It should be important for Keystone and other makers to monitor forums such as this to see what is going on in the real world testing that we all are doing on the products they produce.

Oh sorry, that would require the application of common sense !

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
travelin texans

Simply making a point that there's only "ONE" thing that Keystone, any Thor model, any Forest River model, any manufacturer, the BOTTOM LINE, not QC, get them out the factory door as fast as possible.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
Hodgy

$ $ $ $

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
It should be important for Keystone and other makers to monitor forums such as this to see what is going on in the real world testing that we all are doing on the products they produce.
Oh sorry, that would require the application of common sense !
Grand Design does (monitor their forum). At least prior to the most recent acquisition. For me, these things (all of them) WILL have manufacturing problems post delivery, it's about how the manufacturer pays the dealers to fix (factory) problems and how many hoops they make their CUSTOMERS jump through to resolve warranty repairs. Accepting that all have problems - we should be talking about service (which yes, is party dealer) - but there are also variations in manufacturers responses (or lack there of) to consumers and IF "reasonable accommodations" can be made to facilitate repairs when customers are away from their home dealer. Simply put: I do not agree with the reality that if you're out of your home state, some non-sale Keystone dealer is going to take care of you..

In regard to the Heartland with cold bathroom, I bought a 475 watt plug-in wall socket heater the other day. Sure beats cutting holes in the floor... Works great in the bathroom, under $40.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:00 AM   #10
Tinner12002

That's why this is called Keystone forums, so we only hear and read about Keystone products. I would assume most people on this site are Keystone owners so I guess maybe I don't understand your comment about people on here only thinking that Keystone products have issues...

Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, quality