Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
hitchikerman

Has anyone done this

Has anyone left for Florida during the winter months without reservations at a RV resort and hoping just maybe you will find something
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Pull Toy

That's a long way to drive to spend your winter nights camping out at Wal-Mart... Is there a specific reason you don't want to reserve ahead?

Good Luck.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

That right there....is a whole new level of crazy.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
hitchikerman

Well I guess the Florida state parks in Fort Myers area are all booked up for the month of Feb. But they hold five sites open for a first come first serve bases and just was wondering if anybody else is tried that before
Old 06-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

In all seriousness, I would not do it. Too many others trying the same thing. It could be a great adventure. You never know. If someone has tried it or does this, they'll mosey along soon to add their 2 cents.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
notanlines

Sure, come on down. We'll wave at you over in the Home Depot parking lot or jammed up into some old trailer park with the blue hairs who are waiting in line for the 4:00 buffet at half price. (Forgive me Lord, I believe I have just offended 2/3 of the population of Fort Myers all in one sentence) The RV parks in Florida are not interested in renting to snowbirds for the month of February only. Most are interested in three to four month minimums. You may enjoy the drama and the hunt for that short period of time. We'd rather be riding the Road King or baking at the beach.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I would recommend you plan. Flying by the seat of your pants, in winter, in FL hoping to find a decent place to put an RV....well, I'm just not cut out that way. I have patience for looking, hoping etc. I would recommend sewing it up with reservations.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:35 AM   #8
hitchikerman

Well the reason for only one month stay is that we have a aging parent who is 95 years of age so we cannot just go for 3-4 months I guess we'll just wait for a better time
Old 06-16-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're going to Florida for a specific reason, then that's your only destination option. On the other hand, if you're looking to get out of the snow belt for a few weeks and the destination isn't a specific location, you might consider south Alabama, the Mississippi Gulf Coast, South Texas and even south Louisiana, along the Intercoastal Waterway. All have less "visitor pressure" and although the "Florida refinement" (ways to get your tourist dollars) are still there, there are less expensive options in all categories, from luxury resorts to basic campgrounds with fewer amenities. Many will provide reservations for daily, weekly or monthly rates as well as season rates.

So, if you're just looking for warmer weather, look outside of Florida, you'll probably find many options without the mandatory 3-4 month reservations.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchikerman View Post
Well the reason for only one month stay is that we have a aging parent who is 95 years of age so we cannot just go for 3-4 months I guess we'll just wait for a better time
hitchhikerman - There are lots of places to go in the winter for a month. FL might be a bit difficult but it could probably be done. Then there are the rest of the southern states along with AZ.

With a 95 year old parent your options are much more limited. I, and I'm sure others, have lived that scenario. At that age, "waiting for a better time"....well, it might not come. What is it you are looking for? Location with options and timeframe - as well as options. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here that could help you out with a little better understanding of what you are looking for, where and when. What will your budget allow you to spend? FL as well as the other states have locations that don't cost much and others that will cost you an arm and a leg. Are you looking for "fancy", lots of amenities, things for kids to do or just plain jane "get away from it all"?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
66joej

Quote:
Have you thought of AZ. We stayed at an RV park in Bullhead City, Vista Del Sol for 2 months. Check out their website. It is fairly new (about 3 years) and very nice with lots of amenities. Also gated. Rates are reasonable and it's across the Colorado river from Laughlin NV.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Not all Florida campgrounds are booked solid by "Snowbirds". Usually, the farther inland you get the less expensive and crowded they will be. If you are just looking to escape the cold and are not interested in tourist attractions call some places the week before you will arrive and I am sure you won't have a problem. Now weather for traveling that time of year is a different story.

Come on down ... help keep my taxes low.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #13
TheGriz

Yep...spent two weeks in Florida this past March, only making reservations the night before or the day of arrival. On way down and way back from PA, same thing.

Why? First off WX was crazy between PA and FL...dodged FOUR noreasters! We moved with the good weather so to speak. Secondly, we didn't want to be tied to a specific location and wanted to keep our options of location as flexible as possible. Spent most of our time in Crystal River (85 miles north of Tampa on the gulf coast) and Freeport (20 miles east of Destin on the bay).

Getting reservations was a little problematic, but really not bad.

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #14
Frank G

Quote:
Has anyone left for Florida during the winter months without reservations at a RV resort and hoping just maybe you will find something
Many of us fully retired seniors have aged love ones 20 or more years our senior. Yes, we keep all options open when traveling or snowbirding. Taking a month off and enjoying life shouldn't be denied, it may never come around again, we see it all too often. So, come on down and enjoy. You can check out the resort in our signature, also check out RV parks around Winter Haven and down toward Sebring. Earlier this year we were told there was a new RV park opening near Brooksville FL. Use your first year to get your feet wet and find out what works for you. Our first year I think we visited 20 or so places. One of the biggest issue was the traffic and toll roads around I-4, we are kind of country people. Most places will not refund for a early departure, they are all different.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #15
Ken / Claudia

This situation sounds like what I see here at state parks, for years. Around 3 to 6 pm, RVs driving through the campgrounds, making complete drive throughs and leaving. Not one or two but a bunch. When working I was contacted by some as they seen the police truck. Asking where to camp for the night as all sites were already taken. My wife noticed same thing a year or two ago. She says I notice a lot of RVers drive through around dinner time and leave, I wonder why.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #16
travelin texans

We've wintered from Florida to Arizona the last in 10 years & much prefer Arizona. The weather is much drier than Florida which makes it much easier to breath & MUUUCCCH better on the arthritic joints, not to mention cheaper.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #17
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We've wintered from Florida to Arizona the last in 10 years & much prefer Arizona. The weather is much drier than Florida which makes it much easier to breath & MUUUCCCH better on the arthritic joints, not to mention cheaper.
OK Danny now you've let the "cat out of the bag"!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
OK Danny now you've let the "cat out of the bag"!
Oh yea! But Arizona is full in the winter! LOL!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 AM   #19
XTeacher

Nope, never.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
skmct

I live in Naples fl and the season rule is very common. However my sister and a friend from ct come down for a week to mouth during season. The state campgrounds fill up early but you can make reservations 11 months in advance. There is a campground in Punta gora that will take reservations for a month it's a small older campground but the people are very nice. It's called sun & shade it's listed in good Sam's it might be to late to get in this year my sister made hers last month but I would give them a call and see it's a about 2 hours South of Tampa
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote