Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #21
notanlines

DJ, I didn't understand the comment either. Life goes on. I believe you have received a minimum of two good pieces of advice on this forum. Don't admit to anything is number one, and seek a little legal advice is number two. I might also add that the "nice guy" thing only goes so far. You'll catch a large number of flies with honey, but the killing will be done with a swatter. Be reasonable, but be firm. Don't back down. If it is said that the floor is rotted out because of the seam at the roof then I want to see the route the water took and the rot involved on that route.
Luck to you, my friend.

2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #22
thatdjguy

So this has been heavy on my mind now for a few days. Looking forward--if the trailer is considered lost and the insurance doesn't step up, is the removal of the flooring something that is pretty straight forward? I know it's costly for the dealership--but is it as simple as taking out all the furniture and than removing the floor? Is it worth the effort to try?

thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #23
mskeyspirate

Not sure if I just skipped over the facts or not. Probably....I'll reread to make sure. But, I have a 2015 Passport that I just had to replace the front cap due to my missing a spot when it came to sealing. That little mistake cost me just short of $2000.00. Not sure of the year of your camper, but if it were me, I'd pick a dollar amount, stick to it, and scrap it, if it goes over that amount. When you get done with all the repairs, it's only going to be worth what it's worth. There comes a point when throwing money at it, doesn't make sense.
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #24
travelin texans

Angry

[QUOTE=thatdjguy;282202]So this has been heavy on my mind now for a few days. Looking forward--if the trailer is considered lost and the insurance doesn't step up, is the removal of the flooring something that is pretty straight forward? I know it's costly for the dealership--but is it as simple as taking out all the furniture and than removing the floor? Is it worth the effort to try?[/Q]

Replacing the floor would be a LOT of work & expense!
When they build these things the frame comes in upside down where the holding tanks, wiring, axles & underbelly are installed, frame flipped over & the floor with ALL the flooring (vinyl, carpet, etc) is laid, then EVERYTHING else is built up from there, cabinet, islands, interior/exterior walls all set on the floor.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
tundrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
So this has been heavy on my mind now for a few days. Looking forward--if the trailer is considered lost and the insurance doesn't step up, is the removal of the flooring something that is pretty straight forward? I know it's costly for the dealership--but is it as simple as taking out all the furniture and than removing the floor? Is it worth the effort to try?
I'd check a few YouTube videos where people have done that. Both repair and restoration. It'd give you an idea of what's involved. Not sure about the laminating idea though - usually dry rot just continues on until you get rid of the affected wood and treat it. So it may "infect" the new wood too over time.

Dry rot is caused by a fungus - so until you get rid of it - it just keeps going. If it's just water damage that's delaminated the wood, or caused the OSB to separate - then that's a tad different. I've had dry rot in window sills on my house, and one common treatment to surrounding wood is to just brush on antifreeze (ethylene glycol). Kills the fungus and prevents it from growing back. And cheaper/easier than most other methods. Just don't leave around for animals/pets to lap up - it'll kill them, and since it has a sweet taste - they WANT to lap it up.
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #26
CaptnJohn

The pump and lines hold only so much water, unless you had water in the tank and left the pump run. Unlikely! I'd be more prone to believe water intrusion from the roof, a slide seal, or where something is attached. Water will travel a strange route at times and over a long distance.
Is your pump on floor level? Mine, all those I remember, have been below the floor ~~ 5ers!

2017 Montana HC 370BR
2016 F350 6.7 4X4
Edgewater 205 EX Yamaha 150
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #27
thatdjguy

yes it is---right by the bedrooms nightstand.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:49 AM   #28
thatdjguy

just to revisit--she's goin' to the shop today. Fingers crossed
Old 05-22-2018, 04:21 AM   #29
notanlines

We all have our fingers crossed for you....
2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #30
thatdjguy

Been in the shop for a month...don't even have an estimate yet. Keep saying "their floor guy hasn't been out yet". Really frustrating. Did get a phone call today from the adjuster saying that all damage was caused by failure to maintain (seals on roof) and that my claim will not be covered. Only about a third of the floor is soft, however--so it's not the entire flooring of the unit. That said, I'm sure this will get expensive.

how something so big and massive can get away with being so delicate is beyond me. It's my fault, I own it--we bought the damn thing all giddy and happy to go camping without having a clue. They saw us comin' a mile away.