Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
Twosnakes

Fridge not very cold

We recently purchased a used 2014 24' ultralight. The fridge seems like is takes a couple days to decently cold. Even ice pops in the freezer took about 2 days to freeze and that was starting the fridge and running it on propane several hours before I even put the freeze pops in. Any suggestions on what can be done with the fridge. Camper was barely used in the last 4 years.
Twosnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

RV fridge will take 24-48 hours to reach temp. Most of us start the refer a few days before putting any food in it. If it’s been on for a few days, check the freezer and refer temps and post results.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
XTeacher

Have you checked the temperature probe that is attached to a fin under the freezer compartment towards the back of the fridge? We've found that we had to slide the probe holder up the fin to make the fridge cold enough. Also check to make sure that the probe is firmly in the holder that's attached to the fin. Ours tends to wiggle loose while traveling.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
gearhead

I usually put a couple frozen liter bottles of water from my garage beer/bait fridge in the RV fridge a couple days ahead of time. Turn the RV fridge on and only put frozen or cooled stuff in it until it gets good and cool.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

A couple of thoughts.

A propane refrigerator has to be almost spot on level to function properly.

I always precool everything in the fridge/ freezer at home before loading it in the camper and start the refrigerator there a few hours before I load it. I also have a supply of eight blue ice packs that I prefreeze and put in the camper refrigerator and freezer to fill them as much as possible. Pre-chilled water that you are going to use anyway also helps to cool the unit and take up space. I keep a digital thermometer in the fridge and the temperature will climb pretty quickly from mid thirties to mid forties if the door is opened frequently and the fridge isn't full.

If you are still experiencing cooling issues after a couple of days check the seals using the dollar bill test. Close it in the door being sure it is latched. It should be difficult to pull out. Check all four sides of both doors.

Some refrigerators have a fan in the back to aid with exhausting heat from the coils, particular ones with a top wall vent instead of a roof vent typically when the refrigerator is in a slide, but not always. If it is equipped with one and the fan isn't working the refrigerator won't cool properly.

As others have said elsewhere, let us know how things turn out. It may help someone else in the future.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
roadglide

I had havoc with my frig the morons that installed the roof insulated paper covered t the frigid vent . I took the cover off and cut the paper out of the vent . I'm also thinking it could be the lousy regulator with the built-in non adjustable valve . If your stove had nice blue flame your regulator is proudly ok .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Pay attention to XTeacher. The "probe" he refers to is called a THERMISTOR. I had never heard of such and our refrigerator was turning everything in to a solid block of ice. Turns out the thing I had never heard of had fallen off and the clip was in a beverage tray on the door. Putting the thermistor in and moving it to the correct location in the fins solved the problem without any fuss. Since the thermistor has thin wires connecting it to an electronic plug in, the wires or plug in may be the issue.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge