Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
Thomasbeau

Replacing the stock stereo speakers

Hi All,

Has anyone upgraded the stock speakers, either inside or outside, on your TT or 5th wheel? The speakers in our 2018 Hideout sound very thin. Since the unit lacks a sub woofer the only way to fatten it up seems to be a replacement of the stock speakers.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Where to buy? Recommended replacements?
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
mfifield01

I upgraded to Polk Marine speakers on the outside. There's some info in this thread: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ht=polk&page=2
Old 09-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do a forum search using the term "speaker" you'll find a number of threads that address replacement speakers, sizes, brands, problems and procedures. Good luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
bill-e

I considered upgrading mine. When I'm home I use them turned up loud all the time connected to Amazon music but when I camp I keep the speakers at a whisper so as not to bother other campers.

I decided it wasn't worth the money or the effort as I wouldn't hear the difference when camping.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Do a search on speakers. I upgraded all of mine in the living area and it made a big difference. Don't remember the brand and the trailer is in the storage facility. If you search you will find them. Pay attention to the supposed sizes of the existing speakers vs the sizes of new ones; they don't seem the same but the larger size fits in the hole. Sorry I don't remember the details but I have posts that cover all that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
NorthwestGuy

I replaced inside and outside speakers. I have rarely seen such cheap speakers as what were in the trailer. The speakers I put in are not going to blast at concert level but they have so much better sound than the originals. I didn't change out the IRV6500 which is a cheap amp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbeau View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone upgraded the stock speakers, either inside or outside, on your TT or 5th wheel? The speakers in our 2018 Hideout sound very thin. Since the unit lacks a sub woofer the only way to fatten it up seems to be a replacement of the stock speakers.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Where to buy? Recommended replacements?
I changed my inside and outside speakers and it helped alot The originals were the cheapest speakers I think I have ever seen. I still have the IRV6500 as an amp so it will not be great but the Rockford Fosgates sound lots better. I don't play mine loud but I want clear sound. Use marine speakers for the exterior to hold up to exposure. Check to be sure you get the size speakers you need. There are other postings on the forum explaining this in detail. I had to cut my ceiling speaker hole wider to accommodate a slightly larger speaker but you can get a replacement speaker not requiring modification. Pay attention to the depth of the speaker, some applications may require a low profile speaker.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #7
Thomasbeau

Thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate all of the suggestions.
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speakers