Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #61
CaptnJohn

Half ton towable means you need a 3/4 ton truck.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #62
theasphaltrv'er

CaptnJohn....Shhhhhh then don't tell my little 150 boost that it's only a 1/2 ton cuz it sure thinks it's a big truck. lol
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #63
MVBrown

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
CaptnJohn....Shhhhhh then don't tell my little 150 boost that it's only a 1/2 ton cuz it sure thinks it's a big truck. lol
Using a 1/2 ton to tow that RV is like using a condom with a hole in it. It gives you a false sense of security...
MVBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #64
MVBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
I wish to never hear what the base or dry weight of a trailer is. That is as meaningless as the surface of mars! Your trailer is never at that weight. The only figure that matters is gross weight. Also the listed pin or tongue weight is equally meaningless. It will be much higher. If it's a 5th wheel it comes in at around 20% of the trailers gross weight.
Example my Laredo 265rl lists pin weight at 1375 lbs. When I put it on the CAT scale it was 2000 lbs. That figure varies some according to how the trailer is loaded.

It also amazes me how many people go by the listed weights and never actually weigh their truck and trailer. It's cheap and easy to do. I believe many don't want to know what it all actually weighs. After all ignorance is bliss.

Another point about 1/2 ton towing. Even if it seems to be doing the job the truck is wearing out much faster than a heavy duty truck. The rear axle is much lighter duty with half as many bearings supporting the axles. Smaller pinion and ring gears in the differential. Usually a lighter duty transmission and a lighter frame. It may be pulling the weight but it's taking more of a beating doing it. The fact that the truck is also at least a couple thousand pounds less than a heavy duty means the trailers weight can push it around more and have a greater effect on handling.
IMHO.
Amen! The wear and tear is substantial. Also I would recommend that a 1/2 ton should have an UPGRADED (not stock) B&M transmission cooler or like product.
MVBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #65
theasphaltrv'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBrown View Post
Using a 1/2 ton to tow that RV is like using a condom with a hole in it. It gives you a false sense of security...
You mean I can’t tow “that” RV with my truck. sniffle...sniffle. Then tell me which RV I can tow with my little itty bitty truck. If I can’t tow the one I’ve towing now for 5 years & a little shy of 10,000 miles, up, down & around the hills of Southwestern Colorado and the Southwestern USA, which RV do you want me to try & tow?
Also I guess I’ll need to get some duct tape. Gotta fix that hole in the condom. decisions...decisions...decisions!
better every day
Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #66
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You mean I can’t tow “that” RV with my truck. sniffle...sniffle. Then tell me which RV I can tow with my little itty bitty truck. If I can’t tow the one I’ve towing now for 5 years & a little shy of 10,000 miles, up, down & around the hills of Southwestern Colorado and the Southwestern USA, which RV do you want me to try & tow?
Also I guess I’ll need to get some duct tape. Gotta fix that hole in the condom. decisions...decisions...decisions!
If I remember correctly, your F150 is the HD version, not the "typical sales floor offering" and your Cougar XLite is either the smallest/lightest offered by Keystone that model year or it's in the "lightest two" offered. There is a big, BIG difference in your truck and something bought "off the lot" with "a towing package" and there's a significantly BIG difference in the 29' 7000 pound empty 26SAB and a 35', 9300 pound empty 32DBH. Both are listed as "half ton models" but it's not only dishonest to suggest they are "in the same category" (which is what Keystone's advertising suggests) and it's equally misleading to say, "I can do it with my F150, you can do it with yours too."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:46 AM   #67
theasphaltrv'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If I remember correctly, your F150 is the HD version, not the "typical sales floor offering" and your Cougar XLite is either the smallest/lightest offered by Keystone that model year or it's in the "lightest two" offered. There is a big, BIG difference in your truck and something bought "off the lot" with "a towing package" and there's a significantly BIG difference in the 29' 7000 pound empty 26SAB and a 35', 9300 pound empty 32DBH. Both are listed as "half ton models" but it's not only dishonest to suggest they are "in the same category" (which is what Keystone's advertising suggests) and it's equally misleading to say, "I can do it with my F150, you can do it with yours too."
JRTJH... Exactly ... There are posters on here & other forums that have it in their heads, a 1/2 ton truck can not tow a 5th wheel, that no matter what.
They're either uniformed, misinformed or just plain too lazy to do any research or ask questions to find out the facts before stating their opinion. Some, even after having all the pertinent info explained to em, still want to argue that it isn't so and our truck isn't big enough for our 5th wheel. "That's battling wits with an unarmed person".
better every day
Old 06-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #68
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
I wish to never hear what the base or dry weight of a trailer is. That is as meaningless as the surface of mars! Your trailer is never at that weight. The only figure that matters is gross weight. Also the listed pin or tongue weight is equally meaningless. It will be much higher. If it's a 5th wheel it comes in at around 20% of the trailers gross weight.
Example my Laredo 265rl lists pin weight at 1375 lbs. When I put it on the CAT scale it was 2000 lbs. That figure varies some according to how the trailer is loaded.

It also amazes me how many people go by the listed weights and never actually weigh their truck and trailer. It's cheap and easy to do. I beleave many don't want to know what it all actually weighs. After all ignorance is bliss.

Another point about 1/2 ton towing. Even if it seems to be doing the job the truck is wearing out much faster than a heavy duty truck. The rear axle is much lighter duty with half as many bearings supporting the axles. Smaller pinion and ring gears in the differential. Usually a lighter duty transmission and a lighter frame. It may be pulling the weight but it's taking more of a beating doing it. The fact that the truck is also at least a couple thousand pounds less than a heavy duty means the trailers weight can push it around more and have a greater effect on handling.
IMHO.
Well I strongly believe that "Dry" and GVWR both have meaning. Although listed somewhere it results in the Payload or Carrying Capacity of the 5er in question. In looking at post about "What can I Carry/Tow" I see a lot of larger 5er with very low Payload! I am talking 35'+ 5er's with payloads less than 2,000#!
Scaling can be free in many states as many DOT weigh stations are left active even when "closed". In Oregon they even have remote displays so you don't need to exit TV to scale.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #69
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
JRTJH... Exactly ... There are posters on here & other forums that have it in their heads, a 1/2 ton truck can not tow a 5th wheel, that no matter what.
They're either uniformed, misinformed or just plain too lazy to do any research or ask questions to find out the facts before stating their opinion. Some, even after having all the pertinent info explained to em, still want to argue that it isn't so and our truck isn't big enough for our 5th wheel. "That's battling wits with an unarmed person".
What you say about your truck is true, but it's disingenuous to make a blanket statement such as, "Shhhhhh then don't tell my little 150 boost that it's only a 1/2 ton cuz it sure thinks it's a big truck.", without qualifying that "your" F150 isn't the typical model but is the HD model. Most novice RV'ers have no idea that Ford even makes a HD model and most would (do) interpret such statements as meaning that "you do it with your truck, I can do it with mine too." That's where the novice gets "hoodwinked" by forum members who "brag about their rig without giving all the facts."

I'd urge you, if you're going to give advice to a novice about towing a fifth wheel with an F150, that you give them ALL the facts, not just the "headlines". Your F150 is not typical. When that concept first came out in around 1999-2001, it was called a "light duty F250," was "badged as an F250 but had the body/chassis of an F150. It was NOT a "SuperDuty." It looked like a F150 and was marketed as such. It was "classed between the F150 and the HD F250". The reason Ford stopped doing that was because of the confusion it caused with people buying the "cheaper F250" thinking it was a "true F250". Once Ford made the heavy duty package an option on the F150 model and discontinued the "light duty F250" the difference between the two suspension options was "lost in the shadows".

Your truck is, by the specifications, not an F150 nor is it an F250. While "badged as an F150" it's really more a "F200" than it is either a LD or a HD truck. Ford doesn't sell enough of them annually to pay for the chrome badges to rename it an F200, so it remains optional equipment for the LD truck line. Sort of like the Raptor, it's a "model all its own" not to be confused with what we all consider an F150.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #70
CaptnJohn

Quote:
What you say about your truck is true, but it's disingenuous to make a blanket statement such as, "Shhhhhh then don't tell my little 150 boost that it's only a 1/2 ton cuz it sure thinks it's a big truck.", without qualifying that "your" F150 isn't the typical model but is the HD model. Most novice RV'ers have no idea that Ford even makes a HD model and most would (do) interpret such statements as meaning that "you do it with your truck, I can do it with mine too." That's where the novice gets "hoodwinked" by forum members who "brag about their rig without giving all the facts."

I'd urge you, if you're going to give advice to a novice about towing a fifth wheel with an F150, that you give them ALL the facts, not just the "headlines". Your F150 is not typical. When that concept first came out in around 1999-2001, it was called a "light duty F250," was "badged as an F250 but had the body/chassis of an F150. It was NOT a "SuperDuty." It looked like a F150 and was marketed as such. It was "classed between the F150 and the HD F250". The reason Ford stopped doing that was because of the confusion it caused with people buying the "cheaper F250" thinking it was a "true F250". Once Ford made the heavy duty package an option on the F150 model and discontinued the "light duty F250" the difference between the two suspension options was "lost in the shadows".

Your truck is, by the specifications, not an F150 nor is it an F250. While "badged as an F150" it's really more a "F200" than it is either a LD or a HD truck. Ford doesn't sell enough of them annually to pay for the chrome badges to rename it an F200, so it remains optional equipment for the LD truck line. Sort of like the Raptor, it's a "model all its own" not to be confused with what we all consider an F150.

I too am well aware of the max tow and max payload packages available on Ford 150s. How many are out there, damn few. Just like I shot an elk with a 30 caliber rifle, a uneducated may buy a 30-30 to do the same when a minimum of 30-06 is required. Still don't think I could be a know it all smarta$$ about it though.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #71
fjr vfr

Some years back Chevy produced a heavy half ton. I recall seeing a couple trucks with 8 bolt semi-floating rear axles, very rare though. I don't know much about them or the Ford version. When I bought my truck a few years back I thought I might go to a small 5th wheel at some point, so I didn't even bother looking at 1/2 ton trucks.
My trailers pin weight is 2000 lbs weighed and the gross is 10600, about 10200 weighed. I think my 3/4 ton is just big enough. If my trailer were any bigger I'd look to a 1 ton, although some of the newer 3/4 ton trucks have more capacity than mine.

I still think the dry weight is meaningless. Pick any trailer on the dealers lot and weigh it, I guaranty it won't weight that even empty. So why bother referring to it? I also believe everyone should weigh their trailer and tv. It's the only way to know with certainty...unless you don't want to know.
fjr vfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #72
schwalbach

My 1/2 ton towable Laredo 27 foot

So loaded unit for first maiden voyage, also added 65 gallon tank to back of truck ahead of fifth wheel, along with full water tank on trailer and all gear, weights as follows:
2500 Chevy 6.0 gas everything loaded like I would run

2012 Super Lite 275sbh

Steer axle:4320
Drive axle:5580
Front trailer axle:3700
Rear Trailer axle:3500
Total weight of : 17100

Not seeing it 1/2 ton towable like the sticker I peeled off when new!

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #73
Javi

Quote:

At one time they were called 5/8 ton... sort of a tweener [emoji857]
Old 06-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #74
JRTJH
Site Team

For those who may not believe that automobile manufacturers do some "strange market testing".... Here's a "itty bitty dually" marketed by Ford in around 2000, 2001. This is the first one I've seen in a long time, but here's proof that F250 DRW trucks do exist. No, I didn't get a photo of the GVW sticker.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3625.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	22326   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3626.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	22327   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3627.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	22328  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #75
CaptnJohn

Ford stopped making short bed dually in 2009. If still being made I'd have an F350 sb dually.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #76
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwalbach View Post
So loaded unit for first maiden voyage, also added 65 gallon tank to back of truck ahead of fifth wheel, along with full water tank on trailer and all gear, weights as follows:
2500 Chevy 6.0 gas everything loaded like I would run

2012 Super Lite 275sbh

Steer axle:4320
Drive axle:5580
Front trailer axle:3700
Rear Trailer axle:3500
Total weight of : 17100

Not seeing it 1/2 ton towable like the sticker I peeled off when new!

One more example of what I'm saying. The actual weighed weights are usually much more than the advertised weights.

You can not trust what the trailer manufacturers list as "half ton towable."
They want to sell trailers. The same can be said about the truck manufacturers. They want you to beleave your truck is bigger than it is.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #77
fjr vfr

There are some after market people selling dual wheel conversion kits for 3/4 ton trucks.
They advertise in a few magazines.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #78
Logan X

Quote:
For those who may not believe that automobile manufacturers do some "strange market testing".... Here's a "itty bitty dually" marketed by Ford in around 2000, 2001. This is the first one I've seen in a long time, but here's proof that F250 DRW trucks do exist. No, I didn't get a photo of the GVW sticker.....
A Dually F250 with a Cummins sticker on the back window, priceless...
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, fifth wheel