Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
sjturbo

Range Vent where there was none!

A big shout out to mguay!! I finally did it. Five years almost to the day since mguay gave me the info I installed the Range vent on my 316RL Laredo! I just never seemed to get the time, (or nerve), to cut a hole in the side of the unit. I also had to cut the opening in the "hood" because it did not have one. Anyway even though we do not cook much inside, at least the smoke detector should keep quiet now. Thanks again!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjturbo View Post
Anyway even though we do not cook much inside, at least the smoke detector should keep quiet now. Thanks again!
Mine doesn't. Turn on the range hood fan and a fantastic in the kitchen and it still goes off cooking bacon.

It just gets taken down and tossed on the bed (far end of the trailer) when we cook.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #3
sjturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Mine doesn't. Turn on the range hood fan and a fantastic in the kitchen and it still goes off cooking bacon.

It just gets taken down and tossed on the bed (far end of the trailer) when we cook.
Well, I have to admit I have not tried cooking since I installed it so maybe I should cross my fingers?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
madmaxmutt

No pics, didn't happen . . .

Here is my before
Click image for larger version

Name:	No vent before.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	18106

And after

Name:	New Range Vent.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	18107

Name:	Range Vent Added to 250URS.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	18108

Mine only goes off for the toaster now. Personally, I would not run an interior fan while cooking. I want the range fan to do the work moving the hot air directly outside. I don't want the fantastic fan to suck the heat or smoke into the trailer.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
sjturbo

WoW that looks great. Never seen that style before. What and where did you get it? I have the generic Ventline. I like yours!
Old 08-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
madmaxmutt

Quote:
WoW that looks great. Never seen that style before. What and where did you get it? I have the generic Ventline. I like yours!
It is called Endura. Several of my local dealers pass out free parts catalogs. It is in all of them. Google this: endura vent rv
Old 08-24-2018, 12:11 AM   #7
lawdog130

I added one to my Passport the week after the warranty ended. I'll never buy another trailer without one.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:58 AM   #8
gregrc75

Looks good! I did the same to my Premier and used the same vent. Works great!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #9
WNY Bullet

Quote:
A big shout out to mguay!! I finally did it. Five years almost to the day since mguay gave me the info I installed the Range vent on my 316RL Laredo! I just never seemed to get the time, (or nerve), to cut a hole in the side of the unit. I also had to cut the opening in the "hood" because it did not have one. Anyway even though we do not cook much inside, at least the smoke detector should keep quiet now. Thanks again!
This is something I have wanted to do, but there is a good size gap between my hood and the exterior wall, what did you do to fill in that gap?
Or did you not have one?
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:05 AM   #10
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
This is something I have wanted to do, but there is a good size gap between my hood and the exterior wall, what did you do to fill in that gap?
Or did you not have one?
Mine had 2-3" between the hood and the exterior wall. It is just standard ducting. The only part you can truly see (without craning your neck under the hood), is the last inch at the wall. Home Depot had a near match trim piece in the DIY cabinet section. That covers the only visible portion of the ducting. Tacked into the wall and glued to the duct work.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:18 AM   #11
madmaxmutt

I cannot find a current picture. This is before the trim went on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inside portion of range vent addition.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	18198  
Old 08-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
WNY Bullet

Thanks madmaxmutt!

Old 08-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #13
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
Or did you not have one?
I just moved the whole hood against the back of the wall. I sealed it with tape. By doing that I gained a little more visibity of the stove because it is set back a couple of inches.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #14
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
I just moved the whole hood against the back of the wall. I sealed it with tape. By doing that I gained a little more visibity of the stove because it is set back a couple of inches.
I thought about that, but the wiring going into the hood is right up front, so the wires would be exposed by sliding it against the wall. I think my only option will be to add ducting.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:23 AM   #15
JohnP

I bought a new Passport this spring and to my dismay the range hood vented to the inside ! How stupid of the manufacturer to do this. I bought a vent and cut a nice rectangular hole in the side and mounted the vent easily.
There was a 3" gap between the wall and the hood, so all I did was move the range hood back against the wall and problem solved. It is back from the front of the stove a little but still draws the hot air from the front burner and bonus with the hood beeing back it gives you better view of the stove and doesn't feel so crowded in your face.
Just do it, it's easier that you realize to do on your own.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #16
sjturbo

BTW, I used to post photo's with photobucket. But since they started charging a fee I have not really looked into another way. Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
BTW, I used to post photo's with photobucket. But since they started charging a fee I have not really looked into another way. Any suggestions?
The easiest (and probably the most foolproof) way to post photos on this forum is to upload them as a part of your post. You can click on the "paperclip" icon at the top of each post window, upload the photo(s) from your hard drive/phone and they will become a permanent part of your post. No longer will you have to be concerned with charges from a third site or future "user agreements" that prohibit linking to your photos.

Sounds like a "commercial for insurance" but try it, you'll probably like it....

Just remember it's a 2 step process, first you select the photo from your hard drive, then you have to click "UPLOAD" to post.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:54 AM   #18
lawdog130

I made a step by step PDF with pictures when I did mine. If anyone is interested PM me and I can email it to you.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:07 AM   #19
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog130 View Post
I made a step by step PDF with pictures when I did mine. If anyone is interested PM me and I can email it to you.
Lawdog, did you push yours back against the wall or make ductwork to span the gap?

Old 09-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #20
madmaxmutt

Just post it here as an attachment. I am sure lots of readers would appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog130 View Post

Tags
vent