Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #21
Moneyslinger

I just permanently removed my range hood. Planning on changing out my skylight vent just above the range area with a remote control MaxxFan (will be the second I installed). That will be my vent hood. Most cooking is down outside anyways. Feels like kitchen doubled in space as I'm tall and vent hood hid the kitchen window and half the range. Will be putting in flush mount LEDs under cabinet in place of the wiring hole and all stock exposed glaring lights.

Moneyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #22
packrat1969

For those brave souls who went ahead and cut the hole in the wall of their camper to vent the range hood, did any of you inadvertently find structural aluminum in the way of a clean rectangular hole? If so, how did you deal with the situation? Is there accurate way to determine just where the aluminum "studs" are? I've thought about waiting until it's a little cool out side and maybe I can see condensation lines like I could on my old popup camper. So far all my attempt at developing X-Ray vision have failed....

packrat

TT: 2017 2520RL, Twin Trojan T105s, BM-1 Compact, Xantrex SW1000, Curt Roundbar WDH

TV: Mostly stock 2016 Bluejeans F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew 5.0, 6.5' bed...
packrat1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #23
JohnP

are there studs where you want to cut a vent hole

Just use a stud finder to scan for studs. My vent luckily was in between the metal studs.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #24
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Just use a stud finder to scan for studs. My vent luckily was in between the metal studs.
My guy started with a stud finder and the tapped a small nail in probing to be sure. No studs. His biggest problem was the inside window frame.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #25
ljp

As Ron White would explain to his wife: "When that buzzer goes off, the food is done!"
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #26
lawdog130

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
Lawdog, did you push yours back against the wall or make ductwork to span the gap?
Sorry for the late response. I have been having problems getting the forum to load on my work computer and don't check in as much as I used to.

I ducted mine. As others have experienced, the wire for the range hood would be exposed if I pushed it back.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #27
lawdog130

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat1969 View Post
For those brave souls who went ahead and cut the hole in the wall of their camper to vent the range hood, did any of you inadvertently find structural aluminum in the way of a clean rectangular hole? If so, how did you deal with the situation? Is there accurate way to determine just where the aluminum "studs" are? I've thought about waiting until it's a little cool out side and maybe I can see condensation lines like I could on my old popup camper. So far all my attempt at developing X-Ray vision have failed....

packrat
I used the condensation method to get a general idea where the studs were and then confirmed with a stud finder. The condensation was spot on though.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 12-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #28
lawdog130

Although not perfect, here is what I did to install a range hood vent on my Passport 2810BH
Attached Files
File Type: pdf INSTALLING RANGE HOOD VENT.pdf (1.07 MB, 240 views)

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Tags
vent