Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2018, 01:52 AM   #81
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
I separated the step light and awning LED strip yesterday. What a PITA...

Not only did I have to find the hot (+) side but I also had to find the ground wire going to the LED strip in order for the switch to work.

I left the step light on the original switch and moved the awning strip to a wireless dimmer switch. I placed the wireless switch right next to the door. It works great!

This is what I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We got to use the switch MOD this past weekend and they worked great! It was nice having the dimmer on the awning light since they are such a bright white. Plus having the option of the step light on without the awning light was nice too!
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #82
Chaos1

Love your list of upgrades we have the same trailer except its 2018 i have done a ton of upgrades to ours as well but the awning one is high on my list I was wondering if you had any pics of the panel open with the wireless transmitter installed I have ordered the switch so when we return from this trip in 2 weeks I want to put it in, any tips or suggestions we be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Terry & Elaine
Chaos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #83
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos1 View Post
Love your list of upgrades we have the same trailer except its 2018 i have done a ton of upgrades to ours as well but the awning one is high on my list I was wondering if you had any pics of the panel open with the wireless transmitter installed I have ordered the switch so when we return from this trip in 2 weeks I want to put it in, any tips or suggestions we be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Terry & Elaine
I unfortunitly didn't take any pictures. The switch requires you to hook a positive and negative to the input of the switch and the positive and negative from the awning lights need to connect to the output of the switch, so I had to find them in the mess of wires.

behind the control panel I found two positive leads connected to the output of the switch, one to the awning light and one to the step light. There was also a bundle (4-5) of white ground wires.

1) First I had to find out what which hot lead went to the awning lights and separated that one out. I left the step lead attached to the switch.

2) Once I had separated the awning positive lead out it was easy to find which one of the ground lead were in the bundle went to the awning. I undid the bundle of ground wires and with a meter, I found the lead that was the actual ground wire.

3) At this point I knew the positive lead going to the awning strip, so I connected that to a 12v positive source. Then I touched each one of the negative wires that were originally in the bundle to ground until the awning lights came on. Now the negative wire was found. I then rebundled the negative leads, leaving the lead going to the awning out, but added the negative input lead to the new switch to the bundle.

4) I attached the new switch's positive input to the power lead going to the original awning switch, so it still goes through it's original fuse in the power center.

4) Now you just connect leads you identified going to the awning strip to the output of the new switch.

Just be careful removing the control panel since there is a ton of wires going to it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 AM   #84
WNY Bullet

Next mods:
1) Add a USB outlet in the bedroom.
2) The DW saw a nice hinged cover over a control panel on a new trailer and would like one over ours.
3) She also has a hard time seeing the labels on the dark control panel, so some type of lighting for it.

I didn't write down the manufacturer or model we saw this cover installed in, so if anyone has info on it or something similar, please let me know.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #85
WNY Bullet

Installed USB charger in the bedroom above the bed.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #86
JRTJH
Site Team

WNY Bullet,

Did you install an OFF/ON switch on the power to that USB outlet ? If not, it will be adding to the battery drain when in storage or dry camping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #87
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
WNY Bullet,

Did you install an OFF/ON switch on the power to that USB outlet ? If not, it will be adding to the battery drain when in storage or dry camping.
We store it in our driveway throughout the summer plugged into a 30a outlet and we don't dry camp. So at this point I did not install a switch, but one could be added very easily.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #88
Gegrad

Is the USB outlet conversion a simple pull the old one out and wire the new one in? Or do you have to run any new wires to make it work?
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #89
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Is the USB outlet conversion a simple pull the old one out and wire the new one in? Or do you have to run any new wires to make it work?
Gegrad, Our trailer didn't come with any USB outlets.

So I swapped out an 120v outlet in the island with one that also has USB's and added this to the 12v side of things in the bedroom. I tied the bedroom USB into the light circuit.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #90
Gegrad

Quote:
Gegrad, Our trailer didn't come with any USB outlets.

So I swapped out an 120v outlet in the island with one that also has USB's and added this to the 12v side of things in the bedroom. I tied the bedroom USB into the light circuit.
Thanks. Yeah, I knew the trailer didn't come with any USB outlets. I was just wondering if it was a simple "pull the old outlet and install an outlet with the built in USBs", or it took more effort? I see you added an extra outlet in the bedroom, so that makes sense how that one was done (cut a new spot and mount, tap into the light circuit). Thanks again!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:29 AM   #91
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I knew the trailer didn't come with any USB outlets. I was just wondering if it was a simple "pull the old outlet and install an outlet with the built in USBs", or it took more effort? I see you added an extra outlet in the bedroom, so that makes sense how that one was done (cut a new spot and mount, tap into the light circuit). Thanks again!
The only 12v outlet that came installed was in the ceiling for the bedroom TV. It was on the same wall plate as the antenna connection and amplifier switch. But I replaced that with a Wingard SensarPro TV Signal Meter right away, so I lost that 12v outlet. But that was over the TV anyways, not a good location to charge cell phones.

One thing I didn't mention was that the new USB outlet is longer than the thickness of the shelf, so I had to mount a junction box inside the cabinet to cover exposed outlet and the wiring. Actually it worked out better that way because I now have easy access to the wiring without having to pull the outlet. In the future, if I feel I need to kill the power drain, I could install a switch on the box itself to kill power to the outlet.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #92
WNY Bullet

Today I made a stand-off to keep the water from ponding on my slide-out cover. I will glue the leg assemblies together once I finalize the design, but keep the tubing between them just force fit together to keep it portable and storable.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:06 AM   #93
WNY Bullet

My DW has been commenting about not being able to read the switch labels on our black switch panel. Our panel is located on the side of our entertainment cabinet, just outside the bedroom door, so there is not a ceiling fixture above. I already had an extra LED dimmer switch from another project, so I used that . I ordered a side lighted LED post and installed it directly onto the dimmer switch. Getting pictures of the dark panel is hard because the camera compensates for the darkness but you get the idea of the difference.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #94
blitz

Reading Lights

Quote:
Mods completed today:

Installed Hatchlift.com's Bedlift Kit.
Installed 2 reading lights above sofa. I attached them to the bottom of the cabinet.
Installed Winegard RV-WING Wingman RV Antenna Upgrade.

Really liking the reading lights. Are they wireless? Can you share a link to them?

Edit: Also I think earlier you were mentioning cupboard props for above the couch - what did you come up with for that?
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:31 AM   #95
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz View Post
Really liking the reading lights. Are they wireless? Can you share a link to them?

Edit: Also I think earlier you were mentioning cupboard props for above the couch - what did you come up with for that?
They are not wireless. I pulled power from the light above the sofa. I drilled a access hole in the cabinet and fished new wires to the sofa light.

I bought these, except the were open box items for around $27.00 each.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't find where I bought he props for the cabinet doors . I may have just bought them from my dealer. I'll keep looking for a link to them.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:52 AM   #96
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz View Post

These are the cabinet lift supports that I bought:
https://www.campingworld.com/625-pla...t-door-support

Old 10-12-2018, 05:02 AM   #97
WNY Bullet

Not really a MOD, but more of a repair. The Lippert Flex Guard for the wiring to my kitchen slide broke at the the frame. When I installed the new Flex Guard, I had to disconnect all the wiring and the LP line going to the slide, so I could feed them through the new looms on the guard. When I reconnected everything, I reorganized and mounted them in a way that I was able to gain more room in the cabinet under our oven for storage.

The wiring before the repair:

The wiring after the repair:

Old 12-19-2018, 02:11 AM   #98
WNY Bullet

I'm going a little stir crazy while our Bullet is in storage for the winter. So i ordered a mod I can install while waiting for spring, I bought a MOD kit for my Weber Q grill to convert it to low pressure so I can use it connected to our trailer. It is also coming with a quick connect for the original regulator, so I can still use it with 1lb or my 5lb LP tanks if needed.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:31 AM   #99
WNY Bullet

I'm looking to replace to inside ceiling speakers. Has anyone found decent direct replacements? What size are the OEM ones?

Old 01-03-2019, 03:52 AM   #100
Northofu1

Hey Mike,
I haven't done it yet, still mulling it over. They look like 5 1/2" and are probably shallow speakers. The reason I haven't done it yet is because the head unit is crap, I have been thinking about a Pioneer double din deck that can play DVD /CD's that has enough power to drive decent speakers. Don't want to crank it, just want it to sound good. It would also mean changing exterior speakers. I am installing a Samsung sound bar and 40" Samsung TV in the spring. Then I will go from there. Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, mods, bullet