Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
OldKingKibitzer

Battery Disconnect/Battery Powered Things not working

Brand spanking new to RVing!

2013 Keystone Fuzion 310. Not realizing I had to have it plugged in to keep the batteries from dying...I let the battery die. I currently have it plugged into my house GFCI outlet. I unplugged it last night so that I could close the door and I clicked off the factory battery disconnect. This morning I go out (Not yet plugged in) to check to check the battery level and the disconnect button does not work- It used to click when I pressed it. It will not turn back on! I plugged the RV back into my house, the inside lights work however the Auto leveling (Where it will read the battery voltage) does not work and it will not allow me to turn on my generator.

Help!! Any thoughts? Is there a fuse specifically for the battery disconnect? Why won't the Gen turn on or prime? It seems nothing is getting any battery power. I don't have any blown fuses in my fuse box...So I'm fairly baffled on how to proceed!

OldKingKibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
OldKingKibitzer

I just checked- my slide do not go in either- they say battery hookup required for operation. So clearly nothing is getting power from the battery. But the battery disconnect switch isn't working. It used to click and I'd hear something but right now when I press it nothing happens.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First thing, since the unit is a 2013, how old is(are) the battery(s).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
travelin texans

If they're 2013, 5year old batteries, that were completely drained for any length of time, they are toast. A trip to the store for new batteries is on your agenda before you'll get anything to work but the lights, which are being powered by the converter when plugged in.
The only true disconnect is to disconnect the battery cables or rewire the factory disconnect to shut off everything.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB (FOR SALE)
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
OldKingKibitzer

So the battery is from 2017- Per the date code on the battery and the owner telling me.

What I'm not getting is there is no longer any sound when pressing the battery disconnect. Any thoughts of what that might be? I feel like if I can isolate that problem that I'll fix the bigger issue.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
flybouy

If the trailer's battery is dead and defective, then the battery won't charge or operate any dc connected device. Buy an inexpensive VOM and learn how to use it as it will help you in the future as well. If that's beyond your comfort level then pull the battery and take it to most any place that sells batteries and have it tested. Every time a lead acid battery is totally discharged damage is done.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
OldKingKibitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If the trailer's battery is dead and defective, then the battery won't charge or operate any dc connected device. Buy an inexpensive VOM and learn how to use it as it will help you in the future as well. If that's beyond your comfort level then pull the battery and take it to most any place that sells batteries and have it tested. Every time a lead acid battery is totally discharged damage is done.
Would a dead battery create the issue with the battery disconnect switch? Would that explain why I'm able to use the lights when it's plugged into a house outlet but once that's unplugged nothing works.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Salty25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldKingKibitzer View Post
Would a dead battery create the issue with the battery disconnect switch? Would that explain why I'm able to use the lights when it's plugged into a house outlet but once that's unplugged nothing works.
Yes, a dead battery can create that issue.

If the battery is toast then you will only have power when you plug it into your house, or other electrical source. If you don't have a volt meter I would also suggest taking the battery down and having it tested.

USN (retired)
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:14 AM   #9
JimMach1

Check connections coming from battery . I had mine loosen over time thereís a junction may be a max fuse havenít looked that close . Also on ag equipment have replaced a lot of battery disconnects. All that being said most places if you take the battery in to them will check for free.
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:45 AM   #10
flybouy

I see your question has been answered. If your battery is defective the converter, while plugged into shore power, will provide 12v dc but not enough to power heavy loads such as slides and jacks/stabilizers. Word of caution, if you remove battery don't do it while plugged into shore power. If the positive cable hits the ground (or metal frame) you will blow the fuses on the converter.

Tags
battery, power